PDA

View Full Version : What happens if a cop hits you and it's hit fault?

mac70135
02-12-2010, 03:28 AM
What happens then??

5000Audi
02-12-2010, 03:46 AM
...smoke settles... door pops open.. (insert jaws soundtrack) What the heeeelll( insert clevlands voice) cop runs twords you with a dead grin.. smashes you window and beats you down... then calls in backup saying you assulted him with your car.

you go to jail for 25- life... budda gets ahold of you in jail.. make it so you can fit a pinapple in your rear... you FINALLY get parole after 15 years.. as your walking out of the gate.. bubba blows you a kiss.. You then wave goodbye to your bum buddy...

Soon you get back to your home to find your wife sleeping with THAT SAME COP...BOOOM.. shotgun to the chest.. wife looks in your eyes and say.. woulda be differant if ya didnt have such a small dick...Then you die with a tear in your eye..

Soon 2 weeks later you are put in a fridge box and dropped out at sea cuz no one wanted to pay for a grave site

End of story...

gqmw
02-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Lol...what happens if your friend hits you and it's his fault?

gqmw
02-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Hahah good one 5000audi...how are you so awake at this hour?

CUG
02-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by mac70135
What happens then?? Their very own traffic department comes out, writes the cop a ticket gives you info, tells you to leave.

sneek
02-12-2010, 03:59 AM
^ LOL

CUG
02-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by sneek
^ LOL It's true brah, I seen it. Well, they might not always write the cop a ticket.

signature7
02-12-2010, 04:18 AM
This happened to a beyond member, he made a thread about it.

His claims:

His dad got hit by a cop, cop admitted fault, later on when dust settled they blamed him, couldn't do much because English wasn't his first language-Vietnamese was IIRC.

Can't find the thread right now...actually it's late and i'm tired. Good night beyond.

hampstor
02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
^^ that was dj_rice's dad.

dansmith11
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM
my neighbor was hit by a cop doing an illegal u-turn without his sirens on, 100% cops fault..

cop blamed him, insurance company blamed him too..

seems that basicallly if the cop decides to be honest and treat you with respect then it would play out just like any other accident. however if the cop decides its not his fault.. your straight fucked.

Masked Bandit
02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
What happened in the accident? Did the cop rearend someone? Sideswipe? If fault is plain and obvious (rearend) I don't see how they could squirm out of that?

Mar
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
...smoke settles... door pops open.. (insert jaws soundtrack) What the heeeelll( insert clevlands voice) cop runs twords you with a dead grin.. smashes you window and beats you down... then calls in backup saying you assulted him with your car.

you go to jail for 25- life... budda gets ahold of you in jail.. make it so you can fit a pinapple in your rear... you FINALLY get parole after 15 years.. as your walking out of the gate.. bubba blows you a kiss.. You then wave goodbye to your bum buddy...

Soon you get back to your home to find your wife sleeping with THAT SAME COP...BOOOM.. shotgun to the chest.. wife looks in your eyes and say.. woulda be differant if ya didnt have such a small dick...Then you die with a tear in your eye..

Soon 2 weeks later you are put in a fridge box and dropped out at sea cuz no one wanted to pay for a grave site

End of story...
Contender for funniest post ever.

A790
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by dansmith11
my neighbor was hit by a cop doing an illegal u-turn without his sirens on, 100% cops fault..

cop blamed him, insurance company blamed him too..

seems that basicallly if the cop decides to be honest and treat you with respect then it would play out just like any other accident. however if the cop decides its not his fault.. your straight fucked.
That's when I'd refuse to back down. Lawyer up, make that cop's life hell.

What we did to Scamerjee would be nothing compared to what that cop would experience.

Pollywog
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
http://joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/PIX/FR/awesome_thread.jpg

tom_9109
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I've had knowledge of two collisions with police cars where the police caused the collision. They insurance companies sorted it out and the the police car was 100% at fault both times.

Leave it the the insurance company just like you would if it wasn't a cop.

baygirl
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
What happened in the accident? Did the cop rearend someone? Sideswipe? If fault is plain and obvious (rearend) I don't see how they could squirm out of that?
Does it make a difference if lights and siren are activated?

creeper
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by baygirl

Does it make a difference if lights and siren are activated?

I don't think having lights and siren activated would give them free reign to smash into other cars. Why don't you let your insurance company deal with it.

Just because it's a cop car doesn't mean you're "fucked", they are still responsible for their own shit.

kaput
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM

FraserB
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Lights and sirens will affect the fault in the accident. It will shift some/most/all of the blame on to you since you have a legal duty to get out of their way. Again, depends heavily on the facts of the case, but it will affect the ruling is some way.

dj_rice
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by signature7
This happened to a beyond member, he made a thread about it.

His claims:

His dad got hit by a cop, cop admitted fault, later on when dust settled they blamed him, couldn't do much because English wasn't his first language-Vietnamese was IIRC.

Can't find the thread right now...actually it's late and i'm tired. Good night beyond.

Yes, that was my dad. Story is, it happened at this 4 way stop intersection beside the ZR Auto road on 17th Ave. My dad pulls up to the 4 way, stops, and yields to whatever cars and on the incoming left lane, he sees a cop car approaching the 4 way but not close to it, so he goes, not sure how fast the cop was going but he blows through the intersection, in result my father T-bones the cop car. After everything, cop and partner gets out, says sorry to my dad and admits fault and see's if my dad is okay etc. This is where the story changes once the Traffic Supervisor comes to investigate the scene. The cop says he was responding to a emergency call, and that he had his sirens/lights on. Obviously by him saying that, fault is automatically put on my dad. Its still on-going through insurance but yeah, :thumbsdow to cops.

Dave P
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Chris Vaughn: Get your tail-lights fixed, sir.
Jay Hamilton: What's wrong with my tail-lights?
Chris Vaughn: [Vaughn smashes the tail-lights with a 4X4] They're broken.

2EFNFAST
02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
On a similar note, what happens if an ambulance or fire truck hits you? For example, they're responding to a call, squeezing through traffic, and they bump/scrape you?

I don't imagine they stop and exchange insurance info .... they probably don't even realize it happened.

Proyecto2000
02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
On a similar note, what happens if an ambulance or fire truck hits you? For example, they're responding to a call, squeezing through traffic, and they bump/scrape you?

I don't imagine they stop and exchange insurance info .... they probably don't even realize it happened.

:werd: I was wondering the same thing 2 days ago when I almost lost my side mirror

tom_9109
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
The claims I have seen happen the police cars insurance carrier was bound by the IBC agreement. If both companies have a right to subrogation and are signatories to that agreement and the particular way the accident happened are in that agreement the lights being on or off should not come into play.

Does the vehicle in question have collision coverage?

Masked Bandit
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
The claims I have seen happen the police cars insurance carrier was bound by the IBC agreement. If both companies have a right to subrogation and are signatories to that agreement and the particular way the accident happened are in that agreement the lights being on or off should not come into play.

Does the vehicle in question have collision coverage?

I can't imagine police / fire / ambulance being under anything than Nordic / RSA? Or would they maybe be self insured like other City vehicles? Have you ever had to fight the City on anything? The seem like a real PITA to deal with.

chkolny541
02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
my gf's dad was rear ended by a cop. The cop admits fault, then later changes his story and claims that he did an unsafe lane change in front of the cop and the cop allegedly had no time to react, it was settled that it was her dads fault and the city even wanted him to pay for the repair to the cops ram bar thing in front of the car, it was apparently scratched ahhah. they later dropped that part though, but he still had to fix his own car

2EFNFAST
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I can't imagine police / fire / ambulance being under anything than Nordic / RSA? Or would they maybe be self insured like other City vehicles? Have you ever had to fight the City on anything? The seem like a real PITA to deal with.

Doesn't the city self-insure everything?

IIRC, wasn't there an incident sevearl years ago where they lost a fire truck and couldn't get a replacement because they were under-self-insured? This is probably going back like 7 or 8yrs....

DayGlow
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
FYI I believe all cop cars now have a black box that records speed, status of emergency equipment, etc so if they claim their lights were on it's easy fir the investigator to check.

Masked Bandit
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
FYI I believe all cop cars now have a black box that records speed, status of emergency equipment, etc so if they claim their lights were on it's easy fir the investigator to check.

That makes sense.

Feruk
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I thought they came with cameras as well.

dj_rice
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/196327/collision-with-cop-dilemma/

jdmakkord
02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
An off duty cop backed into my parked car with their cruiser. Left a note with my inlaws where it was parked, I picked up damage sticker and filled out a report at the traffic division, and had city claims pay to fix it all. Meh.

Traffic_Cop
02-13-2010, 09:14 PM
CPS tracks all their movements in Police Cars by GPS, and as day Glow says "the little black box".....I was recently involved in a Police Car collision, I entered the intersection on a red light at night on a deserted road, saw two cars coming, one stopped, I stopped, hit my siren, went through the intersection (no lights), the car behind the first vehicle didnt see me coming, pulled around the second vehicle and t-boned me.

Under the TSA I was covered...however under policy I was screwed......so no ticket, but got "internal" demerits. Other driver got car fixed and was free to go.

If CPS/Police are in the wrong then its no prob......but I can count countless times when I have entered intersections, stopped....lights and sirens....everyone stops for you, but some idiot texting or on a cell phone nearly hits you.

Oh..........on a side note........if you see an emergency vehicle coming lights & sirens......YIELD RIGHT!!!!!!.....do not just stop on a dime, or think you are helping us out by moving left or cutting us off, forcing us to make a difficult driving situation even harder.

dj_rice
02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
At least your an honest cop unlike the 2 pigs who lied after my dads crash.

TomcoPDR
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
:drama:

I love when a cop car (usually RCMP) comes in for repairs in a small town bodyshop (since big cities have their own repair shops)... then we'd all take turns playing with the sirens and buttons, intercoms, etc...

My personal favorite is playing with the "woop woop" button... my dick instantly grows 2" bigger

frozenrice
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
My personal favorite is playing with the "woop woop" button... my dick instantly grows 2" bigger

haha. nice. :rofl:

frozinorth
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
To quote Sean Durfy at WestJet.... "you're screwed brother!"

se7en
02-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

shit I woke up my wife lol....

That shit made my laugh.

TomcoPDR
02-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice

haha. nice. :rofl:

Actually I equally like doing the intercom with:

"I'm a cop you idiot"

"This is detective John Kimble you're under arrest"

DayGlow
02-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Uhm, as I stated before here and in that thread, the state of the emergency equipment would be recorded before, during and after the crash. It would be very hard to lie about that. Did the final investigation state that the equipment was on?

If those coppers tried to pull that they would be done internally for deceit, which is probably the worst thing they could do. Is there an internal investigation?

ragu
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM

It would be very hard to lie about that.

LOL...but who`s supposed to catch the liar in this case? Do you seriously want everyone to believe that you would go to the scene and write fellow cop a ticket, something just doesn't add up.

:rofl: :rofl:

se7en
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
They cover their own.

DayGlow
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ragu

LOL...but who`s supposed to catch the liar in this case? Do you seriously want everyone to believe that you would go to the scene and write fellow cop a ticket, something just doesn't add up.

:rofl: :rofl:

Yes, people are investigated and disciplined. I know a few coppers who have received tickets and been sanctioned internally for breaching policy while involved in crashes. It happens and isn't' covered up. If these cops made official statements that their equipment was on and it wasn't the service would come down on them hard. Why? Because quite frankly they would be liable in civil court. The black box is there for this reason. I know that it is used in investigations.

To lie on an official report is deceit which is probably the most serious charge to have internally. A lot of things can be forgiven and seen as learning experience when you screw up, but if you screw up and try to lie your way out of it, that's how most cops lose their jobs.

ragu
02-15-2010, 02:36 PM

A lot of things can be forgiven

:D :thumbsup:

baygirl
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Yes, people are investigated and disciplined. I know a few coppers who have received tickets and been sanctioned internally for breaching policy while involved in crashes.
Are internal investigations ever made public?

DayGlow
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I believe they are public record. Now where you would go for these records I wouldn't be able to tell you, I have no idea.

baygirl
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I just think that if people were more aware of internal investigations and discipline, it would help disspell the notion that the police can do what they want and get away with it.

DayGlow
02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
absalutely, but that doesn't make good news.

dj_rice
02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Dayglow, I'm sure your a good cop and all, but you can cover and stick up for those 2 cops all you want. They fucked up, they saw an opportunity to take advantage of a minority who doesn't speak english very well and lied. Whether or not they got busted or managed to cover it up, I'll have to find out. The last I remember of the events, this was 3 years ago, they had a Traffic Investigator come to my parents place and conduct an interview with my dad. I'm not racist by any means but both those cops were caucasian, just saying.

signature7
02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Question for Dayglow, if he doesn't mind answering it.

What happens if a cop makes a mistake causes an accident and admits fault? What is the worse of their punishment?

Seems like with the black box and investigations, it's not worth it to lie about.

DayGlow
02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Dayglow, I'm sure your a good cop and all, but you can cover and stick up for those 2 cops all you want. They fucked up, they saw an opportunity to take advantage of a minority who doesn't speak english very well and lied. Whether or not they got busted or managed to cover it up, I'll have to find out. The last I remember of the events, this was 3 years ago, they had a Traffic Investigator come to my parents place and conduct an interview with my dad. I'm not racist by any means but both those cops were caucasian, just saying.

At the time of your thread I even posted that there is a black box that would prove their story wrong. Did you go through insurance? Did you tell your insurance company that the cops were lying? Did you press the issue at all or just let it go away? If they were lying you should have done something. It would have been relatively straight forward to find out what really happened.

It's just that you call them lying pigs, but from what has been posted, you haven't done anything about it. They could be lying pigs, but it's hard to prove that now when you had the opportunity then. If they are lying I would like it to be exposed. I don't want to work with people like that.

DayGlow
02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by signature7
Question for Dayglow, if he doesn't mind answering it.

What happens if a cop makes a mistake causes an accident and admits fault? What is the worse of their punishment?

Seems like with the black box and investigations, it's not worth it to lie about.

We have an internal license that we are allowed 6 points on I believe. These points stay on your license for 3 years. We have a fleet safety-pursuit review officer that will go over every collision and decide what if any sanctions should be awarded to the officer. On the points side you can get from 0-6 for a crash, depending on the severity and fault of the collision.

Most minor at fault collisions net around 2-4 points for an officer. Driving in emergency situations without proper attics can net you from 4-6. ie blowing an intersection with lights and siren, but not slowing down to scan it first and T-boning a car.

I've been rammed by a stolen car and received 2 points in the past because it was felt I used improper tactics to put myself in that position. Basically we attempted to box it in at a higher speeds than what is advised.

Once you reach 6 points you can no longer drive a police vehicle. You can reduce it by 2 or 3 I think by taking a defensive driving course or the internal course.

If you are involved in a collision traffic will write you a ticket if you violated the TSA. Some officers have successfully fought those tickets under the section they were lawfully conducting their duties and the violation was a direct result of that, but they've had to do it in court.

Also other internal sanctions can happen as well. These can range from an official reprimand in your file for up to 5 years. This prevents promotions and transfers. Also suspensions without pay, demotion, and even dismissal.

I know in the early 2000's some officers got severely reprimanded because they were involved in a single vehicle crash outside of the city limits and lied about it and tried to cover it up. The main person got fired and the people that helped him to try to cover this up all got suspended for 40 hours without pay and were demoted a few ranks. That would hurt. I couldn't imagine trying to keep up with my mortgage and other payments if I lost a weeks wages and then was making around $10000 a year less.

BTW this investigation was started because their commanding officer thought something wasn't right with the report. It wasn't started by a citizen complaint. There are standards within the service and people aren't protected from them, despite what people think.