PDA

View Full Version : i think its about time i get my ass back in school (opinions on mrc and sait needed)

finboy
11-29-2003, 08:01 PM
so i've been out of highschool for about a year and a half, and i think its about time i moved on to post secondary.

i want to go into business commerce (through u of c) but my grades aren't the best (hardcore slacker throught highschool and first semester of upgrading).

i'm looking for opinions on mountroyal, and the night courses for U of L taken through sait. my goal is to get good grades in the required courses, and transfer to the U of C after a couple years.

Does anyone have opinions on either of these two facilaties, or any recomendations for courses relating to the field of my intrest?

thanks in advance,
adam

illeagle
11-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Stay out of school, I did I turned out fine....j/k

DUBBED
11-29-2003, 08:10 PM
bcomm is an extremely hard course to get into...

very competitive... my suggestion to you wold be to go to mount royal as a part time student... that way you can take 2 credit course and upgrade others at the same time...

BUT BUST YOUR ASS OR IT WILL BE A BIG WASTE OF TIME!!

bcomm is a super competitive program...

plus theres an extremely large amount of hunnies at mt

finboy
11-29-2003, 08:19 PM
hmm, i do like the sound of hunnies, but i want to stay working too, can't have a car and go to school at the same time :(

thich
11-30-2003, 12:50 AM
you can always do part time schooling too; take one or two classes per semester that way......

just like DUBBED said, no point if you're going to go into business at ANY establishment and not bust some sweat to get to where you wanna be in life.

if you want it badly enough then you know what kind of sacrifices you will have to make.

max_boost
11-30-2003, 01:13 AM
You have quite a few options if you want a business degree.

1. SAIT- Business Administration Diploma (2 years) Concentration in Management, Finance, Marketing or Accounting. You have the option to transfer to U of L (3.0 GPA required) or U of Athabasca or continue at SAIT for an Accounting degree.

2. Athabasca University- Bachelor of Management/Administration. Proceed straight in, I believe all you need is your high school diploma. There are 3 or 4 year programs through correspondence.

3. University of Calgary- One year pre-management program and then apply in.

Option 3 is by far the most difficult, highly competitive and you are not guaranteed anything. I've heard the GPA to get into Management is somewhere around 3.6. Now that may seem high but I've learnt that it is actually pretty easy to achieve. Perhaps I am comparing two different institutions (SAIT/U of C) If you are willing to do the work and stay focus, you will find success anywhere you go.

Option 2 if you want to work but you must be disciplined to do the work. Correspondence is focking hard cause there are so many distractions.

Option 1 is what I am doing right now, I've enjoyed my time at SAIT (Marketing) and will start on my post diploma degree (Athabasca) in January.

thich
11-30-2003, 01:18 AM
actually the Haskayne Business program is different now; I entered the year where we only had 1 year pre-management program... if you want to see how competitive business school is - that was the year to see it.... people were backstabbing each other left right and centre.

it now functions on a direct-entry basis and a 3rd year transfer entry program; 3rd year transfer is next to impossible to get into... but it's doable. I have a friend and she made it in thru a transfer from Mt. Royal - but takes a lot of work. As for direct-entry.. just rely on some really good High school marks - 83% i believe; not sure.

I've heard good things about SAIT and MRC too; MRC is supposed to get accredited to become a university within the next 2 years.. so that will be a plus as the city will get another university here.

max_boost
11-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Thich, I knew about the direct entry but didn't know about the 1 year pre-management.

euro tang
11-30-2003, 01:42 AM
don't take business administration at SAIT, its a big waste of time and money, unless you decide to continue to and work towards a degree in business at U of L or something.

finboy
11-30-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by euro tang
don't take business administration at SAIT, its a big waste of time and money, unless you decide to continue to and work towards a degree in business at U of L or something.

thats what i've heard, my friend is going there and said he's transfering to MRC because of it. the fact that MRC might become a university soon also made me interested in attending.

unfortunatly, i wouldn't be able to attend until fall, as i stupidly missed the cut-off date :banghead: .

kaput
11-30-2003, 11:45 AM

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DUBBED
BUT BUST YOUR ASS OR IT WILL BE A BIG WASTE OF TIME!!

Yes, and it'll be a big waste of money considering what tuition fees are today.

thich
11-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Off topic, but why are they upgrading mount royal to be a second university in a city that can't even properly fund one?

to alleviate the pressure that's on the U of C
i think it will increase MRC's credibility anyhoos. a good move for them; the Haskayne School likes the idea

Gondi Stylez
12-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by thich

to alleviate the pressure that's on the U of C
i think it will increase MRC's credibility anyhoos. a good move for them; the Haskayne School likes the idea

:werd:

if mrc became a uni that would be awsome.. i really like it there and i also heard that the bill has already been passed that it will become a uni... so maybe when i apply to other uni's i may already be in one?!?!?!:dunno: :thumbsup:

thich
12-01-2003, 01:53 PM
it's already a good institution and will probably be able to outrank UofC within a matter of years

RiCE-DaDDy
12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by thich
it's already a good institution and will probably be able to outrank UofC within a matter of years

sure ;)
even tho u of c is trash lol

i heard mrc was gonna go uni too, but never from a real source, just ppl talking.

even if they do, it might take a while. I dont we'll see it in at least 2005

thich
12-03-2003, 02:46 PM
i think they are upgrading by faculty; bit by bit.
that's what I've heard thus far from my profs

djfob
12-03-2003, 09:29 PM
i'm guessin the tuition at mrc is going to increase dramatically when it becomes a uni:thumbsdow

thich
12-03-2003, 10:30 PM
THAT we'll just have to see :dunno:

RiCE-DaDDy
12-03-2003, 10:52 PM
dont forget bill43 or whatever, that might have some effects if something develops

thich
12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
:werd:

finboy
02-23-2004, 08:35 PM
so looked into the courses more...

here are my options...

Business comm transfer course
business admin
marketing manegment
supply chain managment/applied international business

i don't think my grades are good enough for acceptance into b-comm transfer, but might try anyways

ideas?

thich
02-23-2004, 10:06 PM
any of those are pretty good...

check what kinda jobs those designations will get you, it'll help with the decision making process.

Even though I'm in Marketing at the U, I'm leaning towards product management and product development as opposed to sales.
So you should check the kind of careers those designations give u

buh_buh
02-23-2004, 10:43 PM
that would be so sweet if i turned into a uni.... just in time for me to graduate without having to bust my ass to get a 3.7 to get into U of C:D