PDA

View Full Version : connecting xbox to home theatre system

nagooro
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Just set up my new surround sound system, having issues figuring out how to get my xbox to play through the surround sound speakers.

I am currently using an HDMI cable to connect my xbox to my tv.
The home theatre system came with a yellow video cable, and I have a few random (red, white, yellow) cables laying around if I need to use those as well.

What cables go to and from where to let me use these speakers for my xbox?

Thanks

beecue
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM
HDMI or Toslink to your receiver will work.

theken
02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
you dont hdmi into your tv, unless your receiver doesn't accept HDMI, if thats the case HDMI into TV tv out to receiver, then turn receiver to tv should be fine.

Tik-Tok
02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Xbox -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

Or, as said, if you don't have HDMI video on your reveiver

Xbox -> HDMI -> TV
AND
Xbox -> Optical -> Receiver

You can plug both HDMI, and Optical/RCA Audio adapter at the same time, to the xbox

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414MNYXnRBL.jpg

nagooro
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Xbox -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

Or, as said, if you don't have HDMI video on your reveiver

Xbox -> HDMI -> TV
AND
Xbox -> Optical -> Receiver

You can plug both HDMI, and Optical/RCA Audio adapter at the same time, to the xbox

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414MNYXnRBL.jpg
thanks for all the replies. The receiver does have a spot for HDMI, so I'll give that a shot later tonight.

UndrgroundRider
02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by nagooro

thanks for all the replies. The receiver does have a spot for HDMI, so I'll give that a shot later tonight.

That is BY FAR your best option.

I don't have a HDMI receiver currently, and it is a PITA to tune both the receiver and TV to the correct input each time you want to change source. (And I'm too lazy to program a macro into the atlas remote.)

Mitsu3000gt
02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
What receiver do you have?

You may also have to go into the receiver's menu and tell it what method you are using for that specific input for sound (HDMI, optical, etc.).