PDA

View Full Version : To do in florida(disneyworld)

redx2nv
02-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Searched upon tripadvisor etc, anyone have non kid biased info on things to see and do in orlando, going this sunday with the old lady and would like to know whats good in the 20-30 crowd.

S4maniac
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Rachel's Steakhouse. The steaks are really quite good too. Google for good times.

In Disney World, Pleasure Island (not what it sounds like) clears out the ankle biters around 9ish I think and there is a strip of nightclubs that are fun for a night. Its odd watching people puking beside a building where just an hour earlier a mom was pushing a stroller with a baby.

Doozer
02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Both Epcot Center and Universal Studios would be good for "touristy" things that you can't get elsewhere, with minimal kids. I mean, there are kids, but it's not like Disneyland.

The kids are usually older. My wife and I had a great time at Epcot before our son was born.

cmyden
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Islands of Adventure!

The Spiderman ride was worth the price of admission alone.

And wait the extra time in line to be at the front of the Dueling Dragons roller coaster.

frozenrice
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Kennedy Space Centre is about an hour east of Orlando if you're into that kind of thing.

UndrgroundRider
02-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv
Searched upon tripadvisor etc, anyone have non kid biased info on things to see and do in orlando, going this sunday with the old lady and would like to know whats good in the 20-30 crowd.

So many things. Daytona Beach is <1 hour away (depending on what side of Orlando you are on). The pubs along the beach are a great way to spend an afternoon. They're setup sort of akin to pubs along the beaches in Mexico (if you've ever been there). Pitchers are dirt cheap.

It's also an experience to see the Daytona International Speedway. They have a little tour that takes you around the course and to the top of the oval. You never fully appreciate an oval until you see it from that angle (even when driving on it! trust me). If you're lucky enough to be there when a racing school is on you might be able to do that. Skip Barber runs a lot of courses through there, and they are renown as being one of the best. They have all sorts of programs, from half day classes to three day classes. They do their stuff on the inner road course + oval (same track as the Rolex 24 race).

I personally love heading up to Palm Coast and spending a day or two at the Club at Ocean Hammock resort. Their crab soup is quite frankly, the best soup I've ever had.

Two years ago I flew down with the friends. We rented motorcycles and did a complete circuit from Orlando to Daytona through Miami to the Keys, to Tampa and back to Orlando. Something to consider even for an afternoon or weekend out to the beach if you ride.

Orlando also has a pretty bumpin night life. But the farther you get from Disney World the closer you get to Flordia. Florida is a fairly dirty place with lots of red necks. Nothing to be worried about, but it might be a little underwhelming if you're looking for that vacation experience.

And last, I'm sure you're going, but in case you aren't, go to Universal. If you think you're too old for Universal, think again. Universal is a blast, and the majority of the rides there are based on movies of your generation. Definitely check the Universal site for the fast pass, which allows you to skip any lines without a wait. It's an extra $20. If they don't have them for the days you are there (high season), then you need to stay at a hotel on the park to get it (included in your room card). That's the best $20 you will spend in your entire life. I don't understand how people can spend $50 on a park ticket, and then wait 2 hours per ride. Ridiculous.

The whole disney world area has lots of stuff for adults, but maybe someone else can comment, since I mainly just pass through Orlando.

Godfuader
02-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Asides from the theme parks, as mentioned, Downtown Disney (Pleasure Island) is pretty cool.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/downtown-disney/

Universal Studios City Walk has a few things to do including Hard Rock.

http://www.universalorlando.com/OverviewPages/Nightlife/citywalk_nightlife_overview.aspx

rinny
02-13-2010, 12:59 AM
A fond memory when I was a kid was seeing the shuttle take off. I now realize how lucky I was considering every launch seems to be delayed by fog.

I'd consider renting a car and taking the hour or so drive to see a shuttle take off, if there is one planned. Also if you're lucky and the dates are right you'll experience the sonic boom that occurs when they re-enter...also very memorable for kids