PDA

View Full Version : U of C English

rys.mak
02-13-2010, 08:44 PM
So it turns out I need " 6 semester hour credits in English / French Literature and Composition" so i'm thinking thats 2 classes

my question is what English classes are good ones to take? probably 200-level will satisfy this requirement.

Thanks

Hakkola
02-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Detective fiction was one of my favourites with Olby. Got to read Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and some pretty good books. The poetry one's are pretty good, real easy.

Van Persie
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Avoid Olby. I had him one semester. I turned up for the first class and he just droned on and on about gay rights for the whole class. Dropped him the same day.

CUG
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Van Persie
Avoid Olby. I had him one semester. I turned up for the first class and he just droned on and on about gay rights for the whole class. Dropped him the same day. I would have too. Advance your fucking agenda somewhere else, brah hahahah :rofl: :rofl: noted.

Van Persie
02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I should mention that I have no problem with gay rights. I'm an avid supporter of gay rights, seriously. I do have a problem with a university English professor going on about it for fifty minutes. I was there to study creative fiction, not listen to him go on about how redneck the people in Calgary are.

Hakkola
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Van Persie
I do have a problem with a university English professor going on about it for fifty minutes.

I had him for a full course and a half course and never heard him mention gay rights. When was this?

BrknFngrs
02-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Beware of the hardcore feminists as well

Nigel Mansell
02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I had him for a full course and a half course and never heard him mention gay rights. When was this?

September 2007. Olby is the black guy right? He seemed like a nice guy until he went on this tangent about rednecks in Calgary. I am a big supporter of gay rights and I actually agreed with everything he had to say, but I don't expect that kind of sh-t to come from a university professor. Very immature in my opinion, but again, that's just me. I've heard from other people that he's a good prof, that's why I originally took his class, so maybe you're better off to decide for yourself.

[GaGe]
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Take ENGL239 with Zelinsky.

Reading is minimal: the longest reading is around 200 pages, and she only requires you to skim through the readings before she discusses them in class.

No final exam: only a final quiz worth 10%, a 5-6 page double spaced essay, a creative assignment, and a group project.

I took the same course with Olbey last year and ended up dropping it due to his ridiculous workload.

rys.mak
02-16-2010, 12:49 AM
sweet i will look into ENGL239

any profs other than Olbey I should avoid?

Nigel Mansell
02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah, avoid the female prof that teaches English 201. She drones on and on in a very quiet, monotone voice. It is the full year course, both semesters. I can't remember her name but Christ she was awful. Look up ratemyprofs.com or something before booking any classes.