PDA

View Full Version : Fish tacos

Vince1
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Made some fish tacos last night... mmmmmmm check it out! Shoulda taken pics... Next time!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Tacos-352976

RY213
02-14-2010, 11:58 AM
You should have took pics so nonlinear can tell you theyre not real fish tacos, lol....

Disoblige
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
^^ ROFL..

Lots of people will be having fish tacos tonight though!

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Vince1
Made some fish tacos last night... mmmmmmm check it out! Shoulda taken pics... Next time!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Tacos-352976

wow, great thread.... no, really!!! you should get a twitter account!

Originally posted by RY213
You should have took pics so nonlinear can tell you theyre not real fish tacos, lol....

actually, i just looked at the recipe and was just gonna say that! :poosie: but to be fair, at least the author of the recipe admits that they aren't authentic, and at least they used corn tortillas instead of a red flour tortilla :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

if anyone wants more authentic fish tacos, here is a good recipe:

Fish and batter
1 pound halibut, cut into 1/2- x 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup dark beer, room temperature

White sauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Garnish
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 lime, halved crosswise

white corn (NOT flour) tortillas (as many as you want)
Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)

For batter and fish:
Whisk flour, salt, and pepper in bowl; pour in beer, whisking until batter is smooth. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Squeeze some lime juice over each strip. Let stand 15 minutes. Mix fish into batter. Pour oil into medium skillet to reach depth of 1 inch. Attach deep-fry thermometer; heat oil to 350°F. Slide 4 fish strips into oil. Fry until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer fish to paper-towel-lined baking sheet; place in oven. Repeat.

For white sauce:
In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.

For tortillas:
Preheat oven to 200°F. Heat skillet over medium heat. Stack 2 tortillas. Sprinkle top with water. Place in skillet, wet side down. Heat 1 minute. Sprinkle top with water. Turn stack over; heat 1 minute. Transfer stack to large sheet of heavy-duty foil. Repeat. Enclose tortillas in foil. Place in oven.

Assembly:
Fill each warm tortilla with fish cubes. Top with sauce, cabbage and squeeze of lime.

Vince1
02-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

Yep it is a great thread, so great that it inspired you to copy and paste a recipe from somewhere instead of just posting the link :thumbsup:

And I do have a twitter account as well. I post useless facts all day.

Vince1
02-14-2010, 02:29 PM

wtf ??? comp. froze on me??? didn't see my first reply get posted, oh well:dunno:

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Yep it is a great thread, so great that it inspired you to copy and paste a recipe from somewhere instead of just posting the link :thumbsup:

And I do have a twitter account as well. I post useless facts all day.

haha ok. i just posted it to give this previously pointless thread at least some substance. also, there isn't any 'real' link since this recipe is a hybrid made using the best parts of several different recipes. anyhow, if you really insist, here's a link for noobs or people incapable of using the search function: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=285036

RY213
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM

here's a link for noobs or people incapable of using the search function: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=285036

I just re-read that thread and LOL'd. Whats with fish taco threads always ending in an argument???

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RY213

I just re-read that thread and LOL'd. Whats with fish taco threads always ending in an argument???

i know, that was crazy thread! to be honest, i'm being kind of a douche to vince1 because he's such a trolling douche in all of his other threads... but for the fish taco authenticity thing, i'm just trying to spread awareness and (hopefully) appreciation for the real thing.

bourge73
02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok really there is no place in the city that does em? Its really driving me crazy for one. Seeing Fish Tacos on Triple D and I love you man movie I am going nuts, might have to break down and try the NL Recipe sounds good.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't seen any reasonably authentic fish tacos in calary... even Salt and Pepper uses flour tortillas. seriously, the best way is to make them yourself.

although, there is a new taqueria on 17th ave called Los Chilitios. i haven't been there, but they may offer them. can't vouch for the authenticity, though.

eb0i
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I haven't seen any reasonably authentic fish tacos in calary... even Salt and Pepper uses flour tortillas. seriously, the best way is to make them yourself.

although, there is a new taqueria on 17th ave called Los Chilitios. i haven't been there, but they may offer them. can't vouch for the authenticity, though.

I just saw that place last week. Definitely curious if they are good.

:werd: On none of the places in Calgary having a good fish taco :drool:

bourge73
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Well maybe I ll check out that new place then. Salt and Pepper is decent but Flour vs Corn? no contest. I liked SP for a couple of their dishes (some are quite well done althou $$ vs food quantity) other than Tacos but IMO not too authentic as I speak a bit of Spanish and the majority of them are Chilean. No good Mexcian joints in this city? and if anybody mentions Julios Garbage can im gonna lose it. Although I prefer to make everything myself sometimes its nice to have it done for me. Guess in this case just like the Pizza in this City if you want it done right just DYI.....

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Well maybe I ll check out that new place then. Salt and Pepper is decent but Flour vs Corn? no contest. I liked SP for a couple of their dishes (some are quite well done althou $$ vs food quantity) other than Tacos but IMO not too authentic as I speak a bit of Spanish and the majority of them are Chilean. No good Mexcian joints in this city? and if anybody mentions Julios Garbage can im gonna lose it. Although I prefer to make everything myself sometimes its nice to have it done for me. Guess in this case just like the Pizza in this City if you want it done right just DYI.....

do a search on here or chowhound, as there are at least 4 or 5 good mexican places in calgary that are way better than Salt and Pepper. it's just that none of them do fish tacos, which is a baja/so cal thing, not a mexican thing. fish tacos are 'rare' in most of mexico, too.

as for good mexican, off the top of my head: Mi Tierra, Tu Tierra, La Dona, Los Chilitios, etc. and as you said, julio's barrio is NOT mexican, by any stretch of the imagination.

Salt and Pepper makes OK food, but it's vastly overpriced for what you get. for example, a 110 pound chick should not be hungry after eating a mexican entree (one that costs $20 on top of that - outrageous for standard mexican food!!!).

EDIT: S&P is OK on all you can eat taco night. i think it's like $10.99. bowness is hands down the best locatoin, esp in summer on the patio.

bourge73
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Haa thats funny man. My Wifey is like a 105 lb Filipino but they can really pack it in if you know any and we had to stop for a burger afterwards. We did go to the Bowness location and really no complaints other than the $ vs Food quantity. Ill check out Chowhound, and your recommendations but I am heading down to visit my folks in Phoenix soon and I have some MEX favs in that area cant wait for some real food.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
yea dude, $ vs. food quantity is why i don't go to Salt and Pepper. i mean, there are 4 or 5 other options with cheaper food that is just as good, if not better, than S&P.

if you're in the south, Mi Tierra and Tu Tierra are the bomb. by far my favorite mexican in western canada.

Vince1
02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Best place I've had authentic Mexican/Tex-Mex dishes is the Magpie and Stump in Banff. Salt & Pepper is delicious as well, but once you compare it to the Magpie, you'll understand. I agree with nonlinear tho, best bet for the real thing is to do it yourself.
Gonna look up those places you mentioned, Mexican is my fav food and I'd love to check it out.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Best place I've had authentic Mexican/Tex-Mex dishes is the Magpie and Stump in Banff. Salt & Pepper is delicious as well, but once you compare it to the Magpie, you'll understand. I agree with nonlinear tho, best bet for the real thing is to do it yourself.
Gonna look up those places you mentioned, Mexican is my fav food and I'd love to check it out.

ouch.

yea, if you like mexican you really need to get into calgary and try something more authentic.

bourge73
02-14-2010, 09:25 PM
aaaaaa ummmmmmmmmmm. If you like The Magpie dude you are going to love this sweet little joint named Julios Barrio....the most authentic cough cough Mexican in the City.....

RY213
02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
LOL @ going to an irish pub for authentic Mexican food. Salt and Pepper is reasonable value on taco tuesday, too bad the bitch of an owner at the Macleod location gives you attitude when you order extra tacos...

BigMass
02-14-2010, 10:02 PM
i'll put a $1 street corner taco from Paco in California or Jose in Mexico against any overpriced crap in Calgary. Mexican food is probably the only food where the more you charge the crappier it ends up being.

Vince1
02-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
i'll put a $1 street corner taco from Paco in California or Jose in Mexico against any overpriced crap in Calgary. Mexican food is probably the only food where the more you charge the crappier it ends up being.

Ditto

rob the knob
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.mitierra.ca theyve got a website in case anyone cares

and am i the only one who thinks of something else when they hear "fish taco"?

Vince1
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
http://www.mitierra.ca theyve got a website in case anyone cares

and am i the only one who thinks of something else when they hear "fish taco"?

Thanks! Gonna check out that place one of these days when I'm in the South... This is what real Mexican food should look like, this is album art form ZZ Top's 1973 Tres Hombres album. Cool pic on topic, thought I'd share it.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/zztoptreshombresmexicanfeast3copy.jpg

eb0i
02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Aren't Magpie and Julio's considered Tex Mex and not "Authentic Mexican"?

nonlinear
02-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Aren't Magpie and Julio's considered Tex Mex and not "Authentic Mexican"?

yes, and very poor tex-mex at that. although to be fair, i've only been once.