PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

frozenrice
02-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Has anybody on here been and tried? What are your thoughts and comments? I'm taking the family down to California and found out there's one in Long Beach. Was wondering if it's worth trying out.

roopi
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
I went to the one in Hong Kong last year and it was pretty good if you're a fan of shrimp. Nothing spectacular though.

r3ccOs
02-14-2010, 11:50 PM
terrible "I" find

donno why, but I've been to the one in HK, Cancun, & Santa Monica Pier

Weapon_R
02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Junk. Better food at red lobster

Pollywog
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Since I am one of the biggest Forest Gump fans on the planet, I have been to a few of them (Kona, Osaka, New York, Miami) and I had great food 50% of the time and absolute shit the other 50%. They have a good store if you are into the bubbagumpshrimp mousepads and hats, but as Weapon_R said, even Red Lobster can throw out a better meal - and I fucking hate Red Lobster.

Amysicle
02-15-2010, 12:15 AM
I went to the one in Orlando next to Universal Studios and we had a good time. The shrimp was well prepared. I would say it's on par with Red Lobster but the theme is hilarious if you enjoyed the movie.

Pollywog
02-15-2010, 12:18 AM
You guys remember these?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2447/3856987311_2ceae3b56c.jpg

For those not in the know, you flip it to "STOP FOREST STOP" when you want the server to come. Totally classy, lol.

frozenrice
02-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Good insights. I was only considering the place for the novelty of saying we went and tried. Kind of like going to a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood sort of thing. Key thing is that it's a place a family can go to. How was it price-wise?

rage2
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
I was only considering the place for the novelty of saying we went and tried.
That's pretty much the only reason I tried it. It was comparable to say Denny's in terms of food quality.

Pollywog
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Good insights. I was only considering the place for the novelty of saying we went and tried. Kind of like going to a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood sort of thing. Key thing is that it's a place a family can go to. How was it price-wise?
Price-wise, its about average when compared to other big-names IIRC - Think R.Lobster, Joey Tomatoes, Earls, etc. While I didn't find the food THAT amazing, it certainly beats out Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood - of which I have had nothing but greasy shit at both in my experience.

Isaiah
02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Since I am one of the biggest Forest Gump fans on the planet...
I find that lawyers usually associate with other lawyers. doctors befriend doctors, and policemen dig other cops. It's a trend.

Pollywog
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

I find that lawyers usually associate with other lawyers. doctors befriend doctors, and policemen dig other cops. It's a trend.

Lol, not nice. I'll keep that in mind though, in case anyone tells me their favorite movie is SAW.

Jeremiah
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I quite enjoyed my experience there.

Their coconut shrimp is delicious, but like everyone else said, its more a novelty than anything.

I went to the one at Universal in LA, and the service was immaculate. I wouldn't hesitate to go again, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to go again.

boarderfatty
02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
They used to have a mango salsa battered shrimp as an appetizer which was one of my fav's but they got rid of it. When I go there I usually go for the shrimp New Orleans. I find the restaurant theme is pretty good, Staff is pretty entertaining, food portions for the price are pretty big, I think the last time I had the shrimp New Orleans it came with 14 jumbo shrimp which is more shrimp than I usually get for a $17 entree. Food Quality and preparation were mediocre, but the dishes were more unique than your average moxies/joey's/earls/keg etc

Edit: I have been to the Honolulu and Los Angeles Locations. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that has a free night for a unique meal, esp. if you are a fan of the movie. I will usually hit one up when I am in a location with one on a stay longer than 1 week.

JordanEG6
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I went to the Times Square location for the sake of saying "I ate at Bubba Gumps in Times Square".

It's not that great, but alright as a novelty restaurant. Better than Red Lobster though.

DJ_NAV
02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
spend your money elsewhere... food was ok.. nothing great at all. but they did rip us off by selling $11 margaritas in mexico where booze is dirt cheap...

PD77
02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Just got back from the one in Anaheim right by Disneyland 10 minutes ago...meh is about the best rating I can give it. The atmosphere is great and all but I can think of lots of other places to try out instead.

dino_martini
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by PD77
Just got back from the one in Anaheim right by Disneyland 10 minutes ago...meh is about the best rating I can give it. The atmosphere is great and all but I can think of lots of other places to try out instead.

Has the Garden Walk filled up yet?

When I was there in 08' the mall was practically empty, tons of retail space.

Neil4Speed
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
I went to the Times Square location for the sake of saying "I ate at Bubba Gumps in Times Square".

It's not that great, but alright as a novelty restaurant. Better than Red Lobster though.

I almost ate there, same location, on the weekend, good thing I passed.

max_boost
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

I agree it's nothing special but I just had to eat there too when I was in NYC haha

nonlinear
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
i think "Bubba Gump Shrimp Comp." has a better ring to it. :nut:

aaronck
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
There's one on Maui I avoided, just down the road from "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in Lahina, mostly these novelty chain restaurants are just overpriced shit-

beyond_ban
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

If i could pull off a 1/4 of the things that Gump did, then i'd gladly be just as slow as him.