PDA

View Full Version : Advice on downhill bikes

pyro
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Looking on getting into downhill biking this year but really have no idea what bike to get or what to look for. Iv been checking out pinkbike.com, looking to spend around $1000 for a used one. Im about 5'10 180lbs
any suggestions??

Cos
02-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I like the stinky's

civic_stylez
02-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Theres a difference between free riding and down hilling. I would decide what you want to do first as there are many different styles and configurations of bikes to suit the riding style. I downhill and my choice has always been GIANT. For a good downhill bike you can expect to pay $3500.00+. As Cos said, the Kona stinky is a good bike that that will offer a nice mix of free riding and downhill characteristics. If you are going to downhill, you will find the suspension travel and brakes a little weak for the gnarly stuff. I have 9" of front and rear suspension travel on my giant as it is a pure DH bike. Spend some time at the bike shops and see what configuration will work best for you. Most importantly, dont stinge out on gear as you will take some nasty falls as you learn.

redline
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Check out some of the canadian made bikes they offer good value for money like norco, knolly or devinci

you can spend mega dollers on a downhill bike the retail on the my Yeti Frame is 4500.00... not even a whole bike

Kona9
02-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I've been riding Stinky's for years now. I still have my 05 frame with upgraded goodies on it. Great bike!

pyro
02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
thanx for the tips guys, iv been mostly checkin out the specialized big hit, norco shore and the stinkys. Is there much difference in years, id prolly stick with 07 or newer.

revelations
02-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Dont get an older bike with Marzocchi (sp) 888 forks as they are completely non-adjustable on the fly.

There are other 888 models out there (world cup I think) but the base model is one you ought to avoid.
Also these older forks had a weak crown which tended to break.

vengie
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
If I were you, like above mentioned I would get a smaller DH bike to start, that allows you to ride freeride as well... just until you know for sure downhill is what you want to do.

I had a Banshee scream for downhill, and a norco six as a freeride bike, I would HIGHLY reccomend the six, its a very stout bike and can handle most downhill terrain, if needed you can always upgrade parts as well.

pyro
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Whats the major difference between freeride bikes and downhill, suspension?? hardtail soft tail?
Ill be using my bike mostly for dirt trails and occasionally on the mountains- sunshine, fernie

Cos
02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
downhill has large travel, is very heavy, has lots of strength upgrades. They are very unpleasent to pedal for more than getting to your trail.

Freeride are 'weaker', dont have as much travel, but you can actually ride the thing.

Better explanation here from wiki:

Differences between downhilling and freeriding
Hitting a jump at a freeride trail in Kansas City.

Due to similarities with the bicycles used and often the riding locations, the divisions between downhill riding and freeriding are often overlooked. For example freeride bikes have steeper head tube angles and shorter wheelbases for low-speed stability on technical stunts, while downhill bikes have slacker headtube angles and longer wheelbases for absolute high-speed stability at the cost of low-speed maneuverability. Downhill riding is primarily concerned with descending a slope on a given course as quickly as possible. There are often many obstacles in downhill riding, including jumps, drops, and rocky sections.

Freeride is, by definition, a much broader realm of riding. For example, a freerider may often ride a very narrow wooden plank raised as many as twenty five feet above the ground, drop off of cliffs, raised platforms, or other man-made or natural objects onto a landing, or "transition" up to forty feet below. This may involve jumping over a structure below, such as a road or highway. Many aspects of freeriding are similar to downhill riding, with wide open speed and technical and very steep sections, or dirt jumping, with a series of man-made jumps and landings. Another key difference is the emphasis on performing tricks or stylish riding stances while airborne. A freeride course can be compared to a skatepark, where the purpose of the trail is to provide ample opportunities for the rider to become airborne, throw tricks, and create new and imaginative lines on and over the terrain.

Little Dragon
02-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I used to DH a little a few years ago.
I've since left the bike scene, but I used to ride the Giant Glory's.
Very nice DH bred bike. If you have the cash, consider one.

I'm not sure how much they are now but you maybe able to snag a bargain off pinkbike.

If not, Kona Stinkys are definately great bikes for starters.

I have some gear (giro full-face, carbon fibre knuckle gloves, knee pads, Oakley goggles) if you are looking for some. let me know.

zipdoa
02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
i'll sell ya my 2005 stab supreme team edition with avid juicys for $1100 - it's a size small.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/434/med/mpbpic434577.jpg

you won't find a better deal.

pyro
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
found a 07 norco aline for $1500 in brand new condition :thumbsup:

Little Dragon- might be intrested how much did u want for
the gloves and guards, any pics/size

Unknown303
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Cos
downhill has large travel, is very heavy, has lots of strength upgrades. They are very unpleasent to pedal for more than getting to your trail.

Freeride are 'weaker', dont have as much travel, but you can actually ride the thing.

Better explanation here from wiki:

I wouldn't call much of that true. Freerides are almost on par with DH bikes for travel with the fork option on the front usually being the deciding factor. The rear suspension is usually within 1" of each other comparing say a Stinky to a Stab.

DH bikes tend to have double or triple crown forks while the freeride bikes are leaning towards the thicker singles now for doing more stunts like x-ups and things like that.

They will usually be equal in strength as the Freeride bikes take really hard hits and tend to take a lot more low speed drops than a DH bike.

The largest and possibly most important difference will be the head tube angle with DH bikes being more slack to suck up bumps at higher speeds. Freeride bikes will can also have a shorter wheelbase for maneuverability but that also is largely because of the change in headtube angle.

For someone looking for all mountain performance a freeride bike is the best bet.

Cos
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I wouldn't call much of that true. Freerides are almost on par with DH bikes for travel with the fork option on the front usually being the deciding factor. The rear suspension is usually within 1" of each other comparing say a Stinky to a Stab.

DH bikes tend to have double or triple crown forks while the freeride bikes are leaning towards the thicker singles now for doing more stunts like x-ups and things like that.

They will usually be equal in strength as the Freeride bikes take really hard hits and tend to take a lot more low speed drops than a DH bike.

The largest and possibly most important difference will be the head tube angle with DH bikes being more slack to suck up bumps at higher speeds. Freeride bikes will can also have a shorter wheelbase for maneuverability but that also is largely because of the change in headtube angle.

For someone looking for all mountain performance a freeride bike is the best bet.

well you were the one who taught me..... :clap:

VWEvo
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Looking for sites that sell used DH or Freeride bikes. Don't want to drop big bucks into a brand new bike as I don't know how serious I am yet. Any recommendations?

Afrodeziak
03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
pinkbike.com

revelations
03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Got my rig on Kijiji

89coupe
03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I love my Devinci Frantik, its a Freeride, not as heavy as a downhill, but just as durable and almost the same travel.

Phenix
03-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a giant reign x1. just love it and it's considered a free ride bike. has 6.7 inch rear wheel travel and over 6 inch travel on the front with a awesome fox rc2 shock. been a great all around bike.

VWEvo
03-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
I have a giant reign x1. just love it and it's considered a free ride bike. has 6.7 inch rear wheel travel and over 6 inch travel on the front with a awesome fox rc2 shock. been a great all around bike.
I'm leaning towards Giant as that name keeps coming up with biking enthusiasts. Something similar to what you have likely.

89coupe
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
If any of you are really serious about downhill riding, I suggest making a stop at Calgary Cycle and talking with the guys there.

By far the most knowledgeable people in the city and carry the best bikes/brands with hands down the best prices.

http://calgarycycle.com/

Phenix
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

I'm leaning towards Giant as that name keeps coming up with biking enthusiasts. Something similar to what you have likely.

Do some shopping around for it. I got mine from cycle path, but I know Techno sport sells them too.