PDA

View Full Version : Major rear ending

JBreaks
02-16-2010, 02:24 PM
This morning I was hit HARD at a light going eastbound on country hills from Royal oak...... I called my insurance (AMA) and started a claim, but because I dont have collision coverage they arent doing a whole lot to help me... what should I do from here?? i think I am already being charged for towing and storage at city impound.... I am starting to feel like this might be a real sh*t situation for me going forward...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs174.snc3/20167_310247332086_512142086_3707370_3555282_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs194.snc3/20167_310216562086_512142086_3707262_1088474_n.jpg

bourge73
02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
hmmmm I thought that if your "rear ended" in a collision its a automatic fault/charge of follow too close for the other driver?
(thusly your not @ fault) :dunno:

beyond_ban
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
You should not be at fault, so all associated costs will be paid by the at fault drivers insurance. Unless there is more to the story, you should have no expenses and you should get a free rental car from the other drivers insurance until your claim is paid out. I can almost guarantee that your car is written off, so figure out how big your payout will be and start car shopping.

JBreaks
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
well its definitely not my fault... but its more that i personally have to deal with the other guys insurance.. and my insurance wont do much other then say 'our insured is perusing a claim against yours.. deal with him directly". so its basically me against the big corporation in trying to get fair compensation

2Valve0
02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Thats what you get without collision coverage...you have to deal with their insurance.
MAKE SURE THEY PAY FOR EVERY FRIKIN PENNY.
make them pay for towing, storage at impound(but you do have to get it out asap or they wont cover) and your rental. If they start saying you have to pay for certain things thats when you contact your insurance and let them know what the assholes are saying and they will let you know what to do or contact themselves because garunteed the other partys company will try to get you to pay some stupid fucking charges

Wrinkly
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Get yourself checked for whiplash - even if you 'feel' ok now

My insurance paid out over $40,000 to the guy I rear ended in his rust to shit 1980 civic (and the damage was no where near as bad as yours). So I can only assume that was all medical.

realazy
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
It's what you have to deal with without collision insurance. If you had collision insurance, your own insurance company will pay you out and then try to get the money back from the insurance company of the party at fault.

You're out of luck in this case, you have to start haggling the other insurance company and hope they are nice to deal with.

tom_9109
02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Contact your own company and ask them about section B 'accident benefits'. Ask to go under 'protocol' and this will allow some massage and chiro if required.

When dealing with the other company I think they will probably be straight up and accept fault. If they try to recover anything from your company, your company will defend.

Keep in mind that the is rule that he is 100% at fault since you don't carry collision but I'd imagine if everyones honest it should be pretty straight forward.

When speaking to the other company be sure to mention if your feel you're hurt and that your car is accruing storage fees and you'd like to settle with them quickly.

Good luck, and give some though to buying collision.

Mar
02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Contact your own company and ask them about section B 'accident benefits'. Ask to go under 'protocol' and this will allow some massage and chiro if required.
Chiropractic services are considered first level care in Alberta and are covered by Alberta Health without the accompaniment of a medical note. They'll be paid for anyway, even if the insurance company doesn't want to.

punky
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
go file a police report, call the other insurance company and file a claim saying that their client hit u. then let ama know about it as well, even though they won't do much for you.

5G_celica
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
cause you don't have collision, and it's for sure not your fault, AMA will not have anything to do with it.

just file a police report and call their insurance company.

and make sure their insurance will cover a rental for you

and... I wouldn't want to be you tomorrow morning..

inline6turbo
02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by punky
go file a police report, call the other insurance company and file a claim saying that their client hit u. then let ama know about it as well, even though they won't do much for you.

With the severity of the accident there should already by a police report.

Did the cops come?
Did you go to the hospital in an ambulance, even just as a precaution?

This happened to me little over a month ago and this is how it's playing out.

I was sitting at a red light and was hit from behind. 911 was called, police, fire and ems were on scene. Both of us were sent to the hospital. Police reports were written up immediately as well as preliminary medical reports.

After I returned home I called my insurance company. Two claims are opened, one for medical expenses, one for vehicle loss. I as well did not have collision coverage, so I was given the contact info of the at fault drivers insurer, and my claim was closed on my end. I called his company and we started a claim. I refused to pay any impound fees and towing charges, and they in turn paid them all. My car was written off and about a month and a half of bickering over the value of it ensued. I finally settled to a payout and I picked up a cheque. Signed the paperwork to close the vehicle loss claim. You will have the choice to buy back your vehicle if you'd like, I believe the cost varies from company to company, about 10-20% of the payout value determined. Also their insurance will cover a rental for you, but only for usually a month. So the longer they drag out the bickering process, the more they pay, BUT if you don't settle in time, you'll be stuck with some of the fees as well, so it's a double edged sword.

This is completely separate from the medical claim, you'll have one with your insurance and one with theirs. You will make a claim and be sent an AB-1 and AB-2 form. You have 14 days from the accident to send in the AB-1. Go see your family doctor for assessment immediately and then they'll determine which level of care you require and assign you a certain amount of no expense to you visits, includes chiropractors, physiotherapists, massage therapists and rehabilitation. You have two years from injury to file your claim for reimbursement.

metrosfinest
02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Why are you getting hit with towing and storage costs? You got rear ended... Insurance shoud pick up the bill ... As for the towing FYI to all members "it is your right" to have the car towed to wherever you want NOT just the impound just pay for the towing upfront at the destination like the bodyshop,your home,...ummm off the road... dont let the police or a towing service bully you into towing it to the pound...Again its your right..

inline6turbo
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by metrosfinest
Why are you getting hit with towing and storage costs? You got rear ended... Insurance shoud pick up the bill ... As for the towing FYI to all members "it is your right" to have the car towed to wherever you want NOT just the impound just pay for the towing upfront at the destination like the bodyshop,your home,...ummm off the road... dont let the police or a towing service bully you into towing it to the pound...Again its your right..

Yes you can get it towed where you want. But it will end up at the city impound immediately after the accident. The Police tow it there to clear the road, after you contact the insurance you can get it moved.

Weapon_R
02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I just went through most of this. First, I'll assume cops came or you've made a police report.

1. You will call the other party's company and make the claim. You will call your own company and ask for your section b benefits. These are your physio treatments and you'll want to use them all up because it's going to hurt.

2. You'll be assigned two adjusters: one for your property damage and another for your injuries. You can ask for all expenses to be reimbursed, and they will probably assume the costs of towing and impound fees once they determine that their guy was at fault and had valid insurance. This will take a couple days.

3. You wait until an appraiser comes and looks at the car and gives you a crappy offer. You can either accept, or tell them that you are unhappy with the offer. Find comparable ads and show them your expenses, and they usually cover them.

4. Their injury adjuster will pretend she gives a shit about you. They don't. Keep in mind that any soft tissue injuries (WAD type injuries) are capped at around $4700, and they will probably offer even less. You can get out of the cap in a couple ways; (1) You can show that your WAD injuries have not healed, but the onus is on you to do this and they will send you to their doctors, or (2) you can show that there is an injury that is beyond the scope of a capped claim, e.g. TMJ or torn muscles or broken bones.

G-ZUS
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I just went through most of this.
4. Their injury adjuster will pretend she gives a shit about you. They don't. Keep in mind that any soft tissue injuries (WAD type injuries) are capped at around $4700, and they will probably offer even less. You can get out of the cap in a couple ways; (1) You can show that your WAD injuries have not healed, but the onus is on you to do this and they will send you to their doctors, or (2) you can show that there is an injury that is beyond the scope of a capped claim, e.g. TMJ or torn muscles or broken bones.

:werd: They pretend like they care, I got offered $4504 right off the bat from mine which was surprising.

WORD to the guy who said sucks to be you tomorrow morning. It's gonna hurt like 2 bitches. My accident wasnt even that bad and I was fucked the next day

JBreaks
02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone! I read over all the responses and gained a hell of alot of information... I just got my car (the remains..) out of the impound after about 4 hours of waiting (140$ charge).... I will be going to a doctor tomorrow because I feel pretty terrible now. After a couple hours I began to feel, not surprisingly... like I was hit by a van... I feel as if my lower neck has become "strained", similar to when you pull a muscle. I have also had nausea and headache all day... anyway Im definitely not happy about this situation... If I could magically just get back what I had this morning I would be alright with that.. alas that is not a reality. I'll keep you posted on developments and again,

Thank you to everyone!

bourge73
02-16-2010, 08:52 PM
^^ Ya man do yourself a favor and get checked out asap. You are going to be sore without a doubt and tomorrow will be terrible but you definately have symptoms of a concussion.

Wrinkly
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Nausea and headache - best get the ER and not wait. Not to panic you, but you can't be too careful :)

inline6turbo
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Don't freak the poor boy out lol. You pulled some muscles in your neck from when you went back and snapped forward. Once those tendons inflame and tense up they will cause headaches and some feelings of nausea. Just go to your doctor right away and get checked up.

Wrinkly
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
lol ....I did say "not to panic you" Just being cautious though, head neck injuries can be unpredictable.

spikerS
02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
fuck, when i had my accident, i thought i was ok. then about 4-5 hours later, all hell broke loose in my neck. my wife could not drive a standard, and the only person I could get ahold of was my boss, who drove me into the hospital.

that was 7 years ago, and my neck is still fucked.

JustinGTP
02-17-2010, 02:07 AM
wow, sorry to hear, but what the hell was the other driver doing?!

sneek
02-17-2010, 02:35 AM
That really sucks! From the sounds of it Sec B should probably pay out the full $4700. I think there is a cap on how much you can do with it though, off the top of my head something like 3, 1 hour massages, a few sessions of physio...not sure on this one though.

Also AHC now covers nothing for chiropractic if I understood correctly. I think this change was made June 1. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify this for you.

tom_9109
02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sneek
That really sucks! From the sounds of it Sec B should probably pay out the full $4700.

Section B will not pay $4,700 for Pain and suffering. They will only reimburse you for actual medical cost with certain limits.

JBreaks
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey all....

This morning.. I feel terrible. Ill be going to walk-in shortly here. I woke up at about 4am with the worst neck pain in my life and some chest pain (rib cage)..

this sucks

TommyEK4
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
hope you get better bro!

Skyline_Addict
02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Damn...I think that's my old car :(

Get well soon.

Sil80_D
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
thats one hell of a rear ending. hope u feel better soon

GQBalla
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
thats nuts Jesse.

man, when i got rear ended i just felt a little sore for a day than it went away.

you got hit way harder than I did

pure-hiphop
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Make the fucker pay. That's retarded... If I felt like ass because off someone else rear ending me, I'd go crazy. I better be able to get some coin out of them for putting me through the pain.

G-ZUS
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
thats nuts Jesse.

man, when i got rear ended i just felt a little sore for a day than it went away.

you got hit way harder than I did

You got lucky, I got rear ended, not as bad as OP in Oct. Still got pain in the neck and shoulders

FiveFreshFish
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
What was the at-fault driver doing? Texting? Snoozing?

mdeleon
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I got rear ended last month. A friend was behind me, he got rear ended and caused his car to hit mine. Not as bad as OP, but look out for neck, back, shoulders, even leg pains, also headaches. For me it was just my left side of the neck/trap, lower back, left knee (felt like i hyper extended it every time I walked the first few days), and headaches.

Physio helps a lot, even though it could be really boring. My therapist worked on my upper back one day, which I didn't feel any pain in, but when he did, oh man sharp pain all up there, i thought his fingers were just bony as hell, but when he went down the rest of my back, it didn't hurt as much.

yoda124
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
What was the at-fault driver doing? Texting? Snoozing?

that was some heavy damage.I put money on it the fucker was texting :guns:

Disoblige
02-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Damn JBreaks, sorry to hear this happen to you. Hope your injuries aren't too serious.

Get your girl to take care of you haha :D