PDA

View Full Version : Would you rent your vehicle to a friend?

Dumbass17
02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
So i'm going traveling for a year starting the end of March, i have a truck that i bought with my line of credit. I do not want to get rid of my truck because it will suck to come back and have no wheels to get around to look for places to live or to even drive around for interviews etc. SO, a buddy of mine is having a kid in a few months and will need a second vehicle, so i was thinking I could rent my vehicle to him for awhile. just get him to pay insurance etc and pay me like $100/month.

now, would you guys do this or? it's an older truck (2000 sierra) so my biggest problem would be if something got wrecked on it or something mechanical on it failed etc.
i just don't know if i should park it with storage insurance, or say 'screw it' and help him out and put money towards my line of credit at the same time...

Speed_69
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't rent it to a friend for long term like that. If it's involved in an accident, you're insurance policy will pay for it and you'll be the one stuck with the premium increases annually.

You'd also be stuck with the mechanical bills if there wasn't any proof that your friend caused the damages.

I say just park the vehicle and reduce your insurance policy to comprehensive coverage.

Cos
02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Too many variables that you could get screwed by for me to want to do it.

Is he required to maintain the insurance? What if he cancels it and crashes it? What if he drives around in 4x4 all day and burns out the transfer case, who's fault is that? Will he do oil changes? Etc.

He may be a good friend but I still think it is a wedge to go between the two of you.

Qtec
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
make a contract with him? that you still have the right of the vehicle no matter what, but if anything happens to the vehicle its hes responsibility to fix it with hes own money?:dunno:

shutterbug_art8
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
you can lose a friend over things like this. Don't be a dumbass.

G-ZUS
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by shutterbug_art8
you can lose a friend over things like this. Don't be a dumbass.

:werd:

Dumbass17
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
yeah i would write up a contract for sure

and i would sell him the vehicle, for like $1, so that it's all in his name, (of course stating in our contract that I will be buying it back etc)

and yes, he'd do the oil changes and stuff.
yeah i'm on the fence about this, i'm leaning towards 'no' but i dunno lol

BigDannyCool
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
sell him the truck for $2400 and when you come back, buy it for $1200

Graham_A_M
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't. If you know him amazingly well, and have known him for a good portion of your life, then its your call.

But I can see this ending VERY badly. :dunno:
The second you "Sell him" the truck and he registers and insures it, its basically his baby at that moment.

You'd need a legal contract to say that even though you "sold him" the truck, (and thus he basically owns it) that its not really his.
That can get costly to have a lawyer type that up.
$100 /month is a joke, that doesn't even cover wear & tear.
No way I'd do it for less then $400... even then...

nonlinear
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
OP, this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard in my life. just park the truck and uninsure it. your friend can buy his own car if he really needs a second car. (and, why would having a kid necessitate having a second car? makes no sense. tell him to sell his stupid riced civic and buy a family sedan or something more sensible. geez!!!!)

boarderfatty
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I used to do this, I had an STI and would work a schedule of 24 days out of town, 4 days in. While I would be out of town, I would lend it to friends etc. After a while I noticed the clutch seeming to go, little door dings, and applications of touch up paint etc. I had one friend put it into a semi serious collision and paid for the repairs, but it was never really the same, kinda glad it was stolen, even though i miss the car dearly

Kloubek
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
THe people who are suggesting you do NOT do this are possibly right. Things like this can end friendships, because there is too much at stake. (More or less).

If you must lend it to your friend, then make sure you have a contract in place, which covers scenarios like mechanical failure, accidents, etc.
It would also be wise for him to put down a deposit in the event of body damage, or mechanical damage he may cause by not maintaining it.

Qtec
02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
this is a test of friendship. if he really is your good buddy he will understand your limited factors and that youre just securing for both of you. if not than say no...

Dumbass17
02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
not a 'good' buddy, worked with him for a year and a half and talk pretty often
he's responsible and everything but ya...i can see your points

Graham_A_M
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
^ Fuck that... walk away from this then... I'd do (what you're proposing) for only my very closest friends. If hes not a close friend, then I'm sure he wouldn't give a second thought to screwing you hard in this instance.

dandia89
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
not a chance!

97'Scort
02-17-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't even let my dad drive my car, let alone my friends :)

JustinGTP
02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Good points in here. I would not rent my vehicle and not under these circumstances.

CUG
02-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Heeeeeell naw. Anytime I've lent a vehicle to a friend, they either ran over a fucking coyote or rammed a dumpster with it.

Fuck no.

Masked Bandit
02-17-2010, 09:44 AM
There's not really any potential upside here, and HUGE potential for downside. Fold this shit out.

Mar
02-17-2010, 09:46 AM
If your friend gets parking tickets and doesn't pay them, guess who they take to court. And you better believe if it's not his truck, he's probably not going to care where he parks.
If it's a good friend, don't charge him rent, just loan it to him. If it's not a good enough friend to do it for free, they're not good enough to take your truck.

Kobe
02-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll take care of it kyle!

Dumbass17
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
yeah bullshit haha