PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with Toppers custom tailors?

l/l/rX
02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
So I'm in the market for a custom suit. Why custom? I'm short, very short, 5'3 short and 130lbs. Can't for the life of me find a nice, trendy, suit and I'm getting to that age where I'm going to be wearing a suit more often than not.

My friend said his friend goes to Toppers Custom Tailors to get his pants done, but has no experience with suit jackets. I prefer an asian tailor, just cuz asians usually hook up other asians with discounts. HAHA

What other ASIAN tailors are out there that are worth looking at? Hai, I should of got a custom suit made while I was in HK. :banghead:

Also is GQ's website pretty much the only place I have to go to look for "what should be in a suit?"

TIA.

GQBalla
02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I was goin to say Harry Rosen....but might be out of your price range.

if you can wait till May, i would suggest visiting Maxwell Tailors when they come from HK.

custom made with your measurements.

i have a bunch of dress shirts from them and the fit is awesome.

Jerms
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Toppers is the shit

l/l/rX
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
I was goin to say Harry Rosen....but might be out of your price range.

if you can wait till May, i would suggest visiting Maxwell Tailors when they come from HK.

custom made with your measurements.

i have a bunch of dress shirts from them and the fit is awesome.

My buddy went to harry rosen and he was not pleased for the price he paid. He wanted tapered pants, but they made him wider pant legs and told him that was as tapered/ slim as they could go.

l/l/rX
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerms
Toppers is the shit

How much is a suit from Toppers approx? Or what is the range in prices? Does the style of the suit effect the price of the suit? (I guess that's kind of a stupid question but meh)

GQBalla
02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

My buddy went to harry rosen and he was not pleased for the price he paid. He wanted tapered pants, but they made him wider pant legs and told him that was as tapered/ slim as they could go.

depends if he had MTM or custom.

i assume he had MTM suit

when Maxwell Tailors come in, ill be ordering more shirts, probably some pants and maybe a suit or 2

Jerms
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Pricing is all dependant on the material you pick out - he has tonnes and tonnes of fabric books to choose from.

I got there to get my pants made, never had a suit jacket made there.. pricing i think for pants are 160+

but for little people like you - shouldn't be too expensive haha

Neil4Speed
05-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey Anyone know if Toppers is still any good? I went there before (about 2 years ago), but Patrick retired so I'm not sure if they are better than any other shop around for Tailoring (not custom clothing)

Any recommendations btw?

sneek
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
In terms of quality it is hard to beat a lot of tailors in Hong Kong. WW Chan (1K USD ish per suit) is my personal favorite, but Ash Santorini (650-700US) and Sam(500-800US) are also good.

Sam's quality varies on the day, but he is usually pretty decent.

I would also like to know if Toppers is good as well. It would be nice to get suits made in less than 4 weeks

l/l/rX
05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sneek
In terms of quality it is hard to beat a lot of tailors in Hong Kong. WW Chan (1K USD ish per suit) is my personal favorite, but Ash Santorini (650-700US) and Sam(500-800US) are also good.

Sam's quality varies on the day, but he is usually pretty decent.

I would also like to know if Toppers is good as well. It would be nice to get suits made in less than 4 weeks

I just recently got a suit made from Sam's Tailor in HK. Love it! $580cdn for a wool cashmere suit and 2 dress shirts. Now that they have my measurements on file I'll be buying from there from now on.

adamc
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
pics!

black_2.5RS
05-29-2012, 09:18 PM
If you're looking for a great tailor. Go to the Tailor Shop on 17th Ave. (Giovanni's) and forget about everyone else. Not asian - but they do a great job. I've been going to them for a few years now and i've been happy. I will admit i've never used them for MTM but some of the alterations he's done for me are not easy and it looks good.

sneek
05-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

I just recently got a suit made from Sam's Tailor in HK. Love it! $580cdn for a wool cashmere suit and 2 dress shirts. Now that they have my measurements on file I'll be buying from there from now on.

I am pretty sure you can just call or email him and they will ship you whatever you need. It just involves patience :(

Neil4Speed
05-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, I need my suit altered as after loosing about 30 pounds, it looks like a Wizard robe.