PDA

View Full Version : Co-op gas - what kind is it? my car gets best mileage even against Top Tier

nonlinear
02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
does anyone know what kind of gas calgary co-op uses? i have a trip computer in my car and get up to 10.2L/100km using that gas. With Top Tier gas (shell, petro can), I only get about 10.9L/100km.

anyone else seeing results like this?

2EFNFAST
02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I refuse to use co-op gas - filled my cobra up with it once and the engine barely ran. It kept dying every damn time I'd push the clutch in. After a week of this I was 110% convinced it was time to tear apart the engine. But before that I drained the gas tank and tried Shell again, and low-and-behold, 0 problems.

adam c
02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
no idea, i find i get the best mileage from 7-11 gas though

rage2
02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I think they use Shell. I have no evidence of it other than the fact that it had similar anti-knock properties on my turbo cars and similar fuel economy.

I use co-op on my C63 because I'm fucking lazy, and they're full serve lol.

xxxazntigerxx
02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
all in your head same shit well maybe a lil diffrences in brands i always use co op full serv

nonlinear
02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
all in your head same shit well maybe a lil diffrences in brands i always use co op full serv

all in my head? i have a computer telling me that gas mileage, asshat. plus, gas retailers buy gas from different suppliers (e.g. Top Tier) and add their own additives. gas varies considerably among retailers.

nrt_vw
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
never been a big fan of coop. grocery stores or gas bars. I have occasionaly filled up with them in the past but have never really noticed a difference from any where else. i usually use husky

Travel_Dude
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

all in my head? i have a computer telling me that gas mileage, asshat. plus, gas retailers buy gas from different suppliers (e.g. Top Tier) and add their own additives. gas varies considerably among retailers.
This

jwslam
02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
maybe everytime you go to coop it's with lots of highway use? or maybe it's only during summer you go?

my car's pretty standard no matter what gas i put in (top or low) or from where.

TheCheff
02-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Co-op gets their gas from shell.

TC06
02-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I use Co-op on my car and I get the best mileage compared to other brands!

hampstor
02-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I was told it's primarily from shell. I use coop gas all the time. My engine has had no probs running the coop 87.

3 cents/L in a grocery coupon + 9 cents/L back as a cheque at the end of the year :eek:

The_Rural_Juror
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I've read Shell also.

Does anyone know where Costco gets theirs?

InRich
02-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Can't go wrong with shell... love their gas.

Khyron
02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
I use COOP only because the self serve pumps always have ~1.50 credit receipts people always forget and I cash in. It's like another 5c/L off. My fuel econ is still 27-29.

Any gas station is fine as long as it's busy and gets refilled. It's the Esso in the middle of butfuk Alberta that's likely to have stale gas.

'93 SR-V
02-17-2010, 12:16 AM
They might get it from shell here, but they do have their own refinery near Regina. Also, even if they buy their gas from shell in Calgary, it doesn't make it the same gas that shell sells as the additive packages may be different.

But I've used it for years with no complaints. One thing I noticed on their web site is that at least their mid grade gas is blended with ethanol.

97'Scort
02-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I've read Shell also.

Does anyone know where Costco gets theirs?
Also interested in Costco. I use Chevron out here since they give Save-On points.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
02-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Fuck, my manager there told me one time what Costco gas was, I think it was shell. Don't quote me.
Anyways, Costco gas pretty much blows IMO, I have been useing it for 3 or 4 months straight now, and I have been getting consistently worse mileage, and I am comparing this to last years winter mileage.
Which I have no hard evidence on what I got last year, so it may mean nothing at all...

CUG
02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Nonlinear, really motherfucking weird that you posted this thread, I noticed the EXACT same thing. I've been going to Centex on their cheapy wed/sat/sun and getting maybe a day out of $20.

I went to coop, and I did a similar amount of driving and only ate half the amount of fuel. This was in the last week I realized this. Won't be going back.

5000Audi
02-17-2010, 06:27 AM
we use co-op for cardlock on our deisels. they get the best mpgs then any other fuel.. also good with UFA

qcp1
02-17-2010, 06:53 AM
where i live i use rural co-op gas (not sure if thats any different from calgary co-op gas) for my ranger and civic and shell premium for the rx, whats odd though is that my rx runs like shit on the co-op premium gas, while the ranger will stall, hard start, chug on the shell premium... its very strange and its not all in my head either, :dunno: would anyone have any ideas?

bonjoey
02-17-2010, 07:57 AM
in my experience.
shell>coop>esso>petro>husky/superstore

been using coop when i was city driving and it was alright since the vehicle i use was a cargovan.

put about 200k in my civic using almost petro since i use it for highway driving and been getting a decent fuel mileage (30-37MPG) my work also uses petro pass so we get discounts on petro passes and very convenient if u just want to gas up and go.

i tried shell before in my civic and noticed im getting same gas mileage as petro. i just tried shell again last week and drove about 5000kms since and the best i got from cgy-leth-hat was 7L/100kms where as petro gets 7.3-7.8
drove to revelstoke and back last saturday and i recorded 5.9L/100kms.

on the other hand, husky/superstore i get a whopping 8.5L/100kms. but i guess those coupons will even it out (about $30/week for me)

Neil4Speed
02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I should really try this out, I have been a Shell Gas Loyalist for a long time, wouldn't mind saving some every time I fill up.

I thought that Co-Op Gas had their own refinery source though, as during that time where many stations were out of gas, Co-Op were one of the only ones that actually had any.

Tik-Tok
02-17-2010, 09:32 AM
It's Shell, or at least it used to be. I was also curious one day so I called the regional manager, and he told me it was Shell fuel, but without their additives (the V-power, or the nitrogen now I suppose)

95teetee
02-17-2010, 11:48 PM

all in my head? i have a computer telling me that gas mileage, asshat. plus, gas retailers buy gas from different suppliers (e.g. Top Tier) and add their own additives. gas varies considerably among retailers. maybe the computer is in your head:dunno:

:D

Way back when (late '80s I'd say) I got at least 10% better mileage using Mohawk gas in my '66 Mustang than any other brand...

Graham_A_M
02-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Does anybody know where Canadian tire gets their gas from?

Tik-Tok
02-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Does anybody know where Canadian tire gets their gas from?

The manager at the Macleod station says every one is different (as all C.T.'s are independently owned), but theirs was from Imperial Oil.

Aleks
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Don't use your car's computer. Use the km driven over L filled. I've never had a computer give an accurate reading of fuel ecomony.

nonlinear
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Don't use your car's computer. Use the km driven over L filled. I've never had a computer give an accurate reading of fuel ecomony.

i dunno man, liters filled is an inaccurate way to estimate liters burned.

Cos
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
huh this is interesting. I use husky because it has 89 for 87 price and my truck needs minimum 89 because of the tune.

I notice my fuel economy is BETTER on the tune but is horrible overall. Would it be worth switching to shell 89 even for the $0.05 price increase?

:dunno:

nonlinear
02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
^^yea, husky gives me the shittiest gas mileage of anywhere i've ever been. go to co-op and pay the extra for 89, and use the coupon in the store. that will kinda help make up for the price difference over husky.

Cos
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
^^yea, husky gives me the shittiest gas mileage of anywhere i've ever been. go to co-op and pay the extra for 89, and use the coupon in the store. that will kinda help make up for the price difference over husky.

huh, Ill have to try it. Hopefully fuelly in the sig goes down. :D

If you cant get to COOP (Work isnt near a COOP) is shell 2nd best?

?????
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I also get better fuel milege on COOP gas but Shell is right across the street so I usually end up at Shell.

nonlinear
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
shell and petro canada both use Top Tier gas, which is supposed to be the best gas you can buy, and is recommended by auto manufacturers. they are the only 2 places that carry the brand (except for those who buy from them, like co-op apparently). i do get higher mileage with Co-op than shell, however, probably because they don't add in the winter additives, etc.

Aleks
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

I guess I should have elaborated:

You fill up your tank, reset the counter. When you fill up next time take a note of how many liters you put in. That's how many liters you burned since last stop. Take a look at how many kms your drove since fill up. Take the L/kms * 100.

Tik-Tok
02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Cos
huh this is interesting. I use husky because it has 89 for 87 price and my truck needs minimum 89 because of the tune.

I notice my fuel economy is BETTER on the tune but is horrible overall. Would it be worth switching to shell 89 even for the $0.05 price increase?

:dunno:

Yes, Husky is crap. One point is that our work trucks (GM 2500HD) has always been filled with Husky gas, because that's where the powers that be gave us an account. The truck ran like shit, and the fuel gauge was out to lunch the past 3 years (gauge would read between 1/4 tank over to 1/4 under what it really was)

Finally we convinced head office to switch to Shell, as it was closer and more convenient to fill there, and since switch, the truck runs smooth now, and the gas gauge miraculously fixed itself with Shell.

rusich
02-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I aslo do that for 3 or more tank fills for more accurate results.

GTS4tw
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM

Uhhhh, what? Do you just troll for fun or are you serious here?

nonlinear
02-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I guess I should have elaborated:

You fill up your tank, reset the counter. When you fill up next time take a note of how many liters you put in. That's how many liters you burned since last stop. Take a look at how many kms your drove since fill up. Take the L/kms * 100.

yes, i understand how it works dude. what i'm saying it that your refill ISN'T a good estimate of how much fuel you burned on the last fill, for various reasons. e.g. gas pump shutoffs vary and don't all fill your tank to the same level. i can fit gallons more in my tank if i really try.

Cos
02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yes, Husky is crap. One point is that our work trucks (GM 2500HD) has always been filled with Husky gas, because that's where the powers that be gave us an account. The truck ran like shit, and the fuel gauge was out to lunch the past 3 years (gauge would read between 1/4 tank over to 1/4 under what it really was)

Finally we convinced head office to switch to Shell, as it was closer and more convenient to fill there, and since switch, the truck runs smooth now, and the gas gauge miraculously fixed itself with Shell.

cool thanks!

Dope7
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
the daily gets 7/100kms on the highway and 9L in the city pretty badass for a SUV:D

Sil80_D
02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
I run Husky with the soul purpose of having 94 octane... I guess I'll have to re-think using Co-op if it's shell gas and since it's closer too...

EM1FTW
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM
I always use Shell and Esso in the summer car. I've been scared to try co-op in it. Esso and Shell are both much closer then co-op for me though, although after reading this it might almost be worth the few extra minute drive.

2EFNFAST
02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
There's no way Co-Op (atleast the one in Shawnessy) is using Shell gas from my experiences.

YamahaV8
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I have tried Shell, esso, co-op and even 7-11 gas. My car seems to prefer shell for smoothness but my milage is similar on all those different fuels. Now that being said, I use 87 and my guess would be that the "regular" fuels of different stations are less different from eachother than the "premiums" since the premium fuels usually have more of whatever additive package that station offers.

D. Dub
02-19-2010, 09:12 PM

yes, i understand how it works dude. what i'm saying it that your refill ISN'T a good estimate of how much fuel you burned on the last fill, for various reasons. e.g. gas pump shutoffs vary and don't all fill your tank to the same level. i can fit gallons more in my tank if i really try.

Ummm it doesn't matter when the pump shuts off --- you manually fill it to the same amount both times.

Kardon
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Used to religeously only run shell but I've been trying out the coop and it seems just as good. Centex is nasty, one right near my house and I also noticed the TERRIBLE mileage. I actually was getting really good mileage with esso for a while when premium was scarce.