PDA

View Full Version : Review: Big Fish

flipstah
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Considering it was Alberta Family Day last Monday, the parentals wanted to go out and celebrate and since it was apparently 'my treat,' they want to try something new. After reading on Beyond and trying to decide between Ruth Chris and Caesar's, I went on a different tangent and asked around.

On the advice of a colleague, he recommended Big Fish Oyster Bar and Lounge down at Edmonton Trail. Since we all love seafood, off we went!

Big Fish
1112 Edmonton Trail Northeast
Calgary, AB T2E 3K4
(403) 277-3403

www.big-fish.ca

I called that Monday afternoon and was promptly booked into a 5:30PM slot; good thing I called early because when we arrived, our server mentioned that the place was fully booked.

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 9/10
Just off of Edmonton Trail, Big Fish is a quaint and cozy restaurant, suitable enough to fit a modest crowd. I don't think it's a place to have a big party. The decor is very nautical and can naively assume what Eastern Canada would look like if I go there. My parents liked it because it didn't seem busy nor prententious; it was 'home-y.'

Food: 9/10
This isn't your neighborhood Red Lobster! The food here is absolutely phenomenal! Since it was Monday, there was 2-for-1 dozen oysters ($30) and we went crazy! For what we got, it was more quality than quantity which is something my dad's not used to; the oysters were small but man, were they good. There was an East Coast/West Coast platter selection and we had both. I think either or is alright because I can't tell the difference. Oysters just rule.

My mom had the seafood chowder (~$8?) as an app and it was very creamy and fresh. It was a lot to handle but it was delightful.

For main course, my dad and my younger brother ordered the steak and crabcake ($29) while my mom and I ordered the swordfish ($29.) We family share (that's how we roll, Asian style) and I tried probably, THE best crabcake I've ever had, bar none. The swordfish was great but it couldn't beat that crabcake. The steak was run-of-the-mill and it was good but not mind-blowing.

I still can't stop thinking about that crabcake.

Since I was paying, bring on the desserts! I got the souffle while my brother got the caramel ($8 each.) The souffle had a raspberry sauce to balance out the chocolate which was heart-warming and the chocolate was dark in flavor. Very nice but I could've enjoyed Bubbles down the street for less.

The caramel was 'meh' and it was similar to having flan. Yawn.

Overall, the meal started with a bang but ended with a whimper.

Service: 8/10
Considering how small the place was, it took a while to get food out. The apps, which were fresh oysters, took longer than I expected but overall, our server was nice, courteous, and very approachable. We were checked on regularly and was always greeted with a smile. It could've been kitchen issues and the fact that the place was fully booked, but that's just me.

Pricing: 9/10
With all of that plus non-alcoholic drinks, the bill came just a tad shy of $200 which is justifiable considering the quality of food received. I've paid way more for shittier food, so this is a thumbs up for moi.

Overall: 8.75/10

It was a great dining experience and the food was just out of this world; the apps and the mains were to die for but their dessert menu was nothing to praise for so I would avoid that.
They have an adequate wine menu and offer single malt scotch as a dessert(!) but we're not an alcohol family so we have no idea about those. Alcohol belongs at the club, not at the dinner table.

There's adequate parking in the back but it's a bit tight. There's also Open Range, a dedicated steakhouse if you feel like cowing it up.

To sum it up, I would recommend this place to others and do not regret jumping into the unknown.

bubbley
02-17-2010, 10:24 AM
steak and crabcake :drool:

Will check out on wknd..thanks

ExtraSlow
02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
+1 for big fish. The same people own Open Range next door, and I think also the Urban Baker/ Diner Delux.

That little strip of edmonton trail is a gem. Boogies burgers.

flipstah
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
+1 for big fish. The same people own Open Range next door, and I think also the Urban Baker/ Diner Delux.

That little strip of edmonton trail is a gem. Boogies burgers.

How's Open Range? Their menu seems very ranch-y and very delicious!

:drool:

Gainsbarre
02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Great detailed review. I was there last spring/summer for drinks on the patio a few times, although I never ate there -- I was just a tad distracted by the newly opened Persian restaurant across street.

Will keep this in mind the next time I'm looking for seafood.

flipstah
02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Great detailed review. I was there last spring/summer for drinks on the patio a few times, although I never ate there -- I was just a tad distracted by the newly opened Persian restaurant across street.

Will keep this in mind the next time I'm looking for seafood.

House of Kabob? My dad saw that too and he was curious as well.

Another review is at hand haha!

Gainsbarre
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

House of Kabob? My dad saw that too and he was curious as well.

Another review is at hand haha!

Ya that's the place! We were across the street for drinks first because House of Kabob is not licenced.

I really enjoy eating there -- I find the food to be slightly better than Atlas and cheaper too. I don't think I can follow after you though in writing such a detailed review...

flipstah
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Ya that's the place! We were across the street for drinks first because House of Kabob is not licenced.

I really enjoy eating there -- I find the food to be slightly better than Atlas and cheaper too. I don't think I can follow after you though in writing such a detailed review...

Oh you haha. There are way better writers than me on Beyond and I'm sure you can pull out a nice review! It does look good and kabobs are always good.

Unless they're ridiculously dry. :thumbsdow

legendboy
02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I love Big Fish, go there as much as I can. 2 for 1 oyster night is awesome!

King Banana
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I had the salmon dish when I went to have dinner about 6 months ago, it was delicious.
Not quite as filling as I hoped, for the price, but the quality was top notch.
The pepper and spices they used were amazing.

nonlinear
02-17-2010, 01:33 PM
good review, although this place is quite old and i'm surprised there are so many beyonders who haven't been yet. at big fish, the food is simple and good - but I certainly wouldn't call it phenomenal. the atmosphere is laid back and casual, which I really like. Big Fish is certainly leagues beyond, say, Red Lobster, but in terms of food quality, creativity, presentation, dining room, quality of service, etc., BIg Fish doesn't even come close to something like Catch (which I think is much closer to phenomenal). of course, Catch is about 4 times as expensive.

flipstah
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
good review, although this place is quite old and i'm surprised there are so many beyonders who haven't been yet. at big fish, the food is simple and good - but I certainly wouldn't call it phenomenal. the atmosphere is laid back and casual, which I really like. Big Fish is certainly leagues beyond, say, Red Lobster, but in terms of food quality, creativity, presentation, dining room, quality of service, etc., BIg Fish doesn't even come close to something like Catch (which I think is much closer to phenomenal). of course, Catch is about 4 times as expensive.

I've been to Catch and as you mentioned, it's leagues ahead (I absolutely love Catch, especially during the summer patio days), but comparing Big Fish to Catch is comparing a Corolla (with working brakes) to the IS-F; both are great in its own price-range but you get more when you pay more.

Price bracket-wise, you get the most bang for your buck at Big Fish. :thumbsup:

msommers
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Another +1 for Big Fish. As ExtraSlow mentioned, along that strip of edmonton trail is great. Also, there is a breakfast place that is pretty good as well...name escapes me. Down the hill you have Joyce's!

House of Kabob and the shwarma place I've always wanted to try, keep forgetting about them :(

RenRen
02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I usually order Soft Shell Crab with Yam fries and mussels to start with.

Big Fish and House of Kabob, i usually go there atleast once a month.

Good stuff.

Criticull
02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
"alcohol belongs at the club, not the dinner table."

Disagree whole-heartedly. Good review otherwise.

xxxazntigerxx
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
hope they kill cody the catch and serve him there hahaha

tobslau
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Nice Review :thumbsup:

I thought it was a tad bit pricey when i went there for a dinner, and agree that it did take a little longer than expected for the food to come.

But otherwise, great eatery :D

swak
02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Criticull
"alcohol belongs at the club, not the dinner table."

Disagree whole-heartedly. Good review otherwise.

x2.

I love a good beer/glass of wine with dinner on occasion.
Nothing wrong with it at all,

But the owner of Big Fish also owns Diner Deluxe and a bunch of other places i havent been to - but i can vouch that Diner Deluxe is amazing. I can only bet that his other restaurants are just as good.