PDA

View Full Version : Rev canada reassesment?

5000Audi
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Well today i got a phone call from rev canada. They said they did a reassesment on my T4's from 2008 and now say i owe them like $1200 bucks or somthing along those lines.. But heres my question. I did my tax's through H&R block.. Are they not liable for screwing up my tax's? would they not be the ones having to pay back the 1200 since they gave me a return of like $2800 bucks?

Any info would be awesome..

Zhariak
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I could be wrong but....

When I do my taxes with H&R I signed something stating that they can deal with Rev Canada on any adjustments or problems on my behalf. I think I signed off saying they could work with them to resolve issues.

Further on, I could be wrong on this also, but I think they garauntee their returns, so as long as you did it on time and what not, they might cover it if the gov does demand the monay!

Dilmah
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
If I had a nickle for every time I heard someone complain about haveing to pay back money after H&R Block did their taxes I'd be a rich man!
I think what they do is get you money back, you're happy and you go away, a few months/years later you get the letter in the mail saying you owe money, by that time the guy that did your tax return is long gone...
One thing to look into is the fact that they called you, I thought they would only send you a letter, I'd be cautious of a scam if they didn't send you a letter... Don't give then any info over the phone if they call you, if you call them then you know who you're calling...

Xtrema
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
Well today i got a phone call from rev canada. They said they did a reassesment on my T4's from 2008 and now say i owe them like $1200 bucks or somthing along those lines.. But heres my question. I did my tax's through H&R block.. Are they not liable for screwing up my tax's? would they not be the ones having to pay back the 1200 since they gave me a return of like $2800 bucks?

Any info would be awesome..

It depends. My last reassessment was caused by unclaimed income switching jobs where my last employer did not provided me with a T4 for the buy out $. I acknowledged and pay the difference and moved on.

If your case is similar to mine, I don't see why H&R block should pay for someone else's mistake.

Zhariak
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah
If I had a nickle for every time I heard someone complain about haveing to pay back money after H&R Block did their taxes I'd be a rich man!
I think what they do is get you money back, you're happy and you go away, a few months/years later you get the letter in the mail saying you owe money, by that time the guy that did your tax return is long gone...
One thing to look into is the fact that they called you, I thought they would only send you a letter, I'd be cautious of a scam if they didn't send you a letter... Don't give then any info over the phone if they call you, if you call them then you know who you're calling...

Yes, actually I agree about what this guy posted about a scam. Revenue Canada always sends EVERYTHING in mail, and if they demanded money, I think they might even send it registrered.

Wrinkly
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
There is a warning on their website about snail mail scam - getting your details for ID theft - so watch out for that.

As for who's responsible - I think ultimately, it's you. As far as the CRA are concerned anyway. Even if you have someone else do your filing/accounting etc, ultimately you sign off on it - you're responsible to the government. Read the small print on the paperwork between you and H&R Block. I bet in there somewhere, they've covered their ass!

rage2
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
If it's a mistake that you made (ie didn't give them all the information) then you're responsible.

H&R Block will pay any penalties if it was a mistake that THEY made. They'll argue with you though on if it's their mistake or yours.

katm
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
First of all, what did they reassess you on? Was it just a phone call you got? I would ask them to send you an actual statement in the mail. Could it be a fault of your own? Example: Forgot to include a slip of some sort when submitting your taxes to H&R Block? I would call H&R Block and double check this, but as far as I know, if H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or a penalty on additional taxes due, they will reimburse you for the interest and penalties. However, they do not assume the liability for the additional taxes. So I am guessing that you will have to pay the $1200 out of your own pocket. But like I said, you should call them and double check this.

If you have a more complicated tax return I believe that in the long run that it is well worth it to go to a chartered accounting firm. It is more costly, but they are more efficient and not to mention have years of experience and education.

Zhariak - The form that you probably signed was a T1013 (consent form) which gives H&R Block permission to communicate to CRA on your behalf if you need them too.

Hope this helps somewhat!

5000Audi
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
also to add..

When i asked them when my reassesment was done.. it took the girl like 2 mins to find out.. and it was done in october..never once did i get any mail about this also Rev canada only has my cell and not my home number.. this call was on the home phone..

Oh yeah and last they asked me for my address,birthday and what bank i go through.. i didnt say what bank i went throught because ive never beeen asked that over the phone before..

Ill post the phone number that called in a sec and maybe google it to

katm
02-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I highly believe this is a scam - CRA ALWAYS sends something in the mail..... And they won't ask for your banking info, plus they should already have your bday etc. on file. I strongly recommend that you do not give out this info. If you would like reassurance call CRA and ask if they did infact reassess you.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/menu-eng.html

Cos
02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
95% sure scam. I've been reassessed twice and both times in the mail.

rage2
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I've been re-assessed, and got it both in the mail and phone call. This was years ago.

5000Audi
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
So ive just got off the phone with RCA, they say I DO owe them money but THEY never called me today.. i only owe them like 250 bucks or somthing.. so whom ever called me was a scammer.. but it also made me know i owe RCA a bit of change lol

and they clone the RCA number so if could iether be rev canada or the scammers.. be ware peeps

Cos
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I bet someone intercepted your mail. Got your ID and address so got your home number and knew you owed money.

SilverRex
02-17-2010, 07:14 PM
while we are on topic, is it true that its only a matter of time until rev canada audits one's tax return? or only if you are flagged for a supucisious return?

Cos
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
while we are on topic, is it true that its only a matter of time until rev canada audits one's tax return? or only if you are flagged for a supucisious return?

I screwed up my return my first year our of school on my own using quick tax. Then last year the wifes income was written down wrong. :banghead: Not sure if I am flagged but I bet they check my return against all paperwork coming in a little more. I really need to quadruple check my return this year.

I would bet that ever 3 or 4 years someone checks your return but if it is right no one mentions anything. A re-assessment is nothing too bad compared to an investigation which is an instant red flag on your file.

djayz
02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I think audit's are more of a random thing, they just randomly check returns thoroughly and if anything looks suspicious they will look into it further.

A reassessment is nothing major as it just means that you forgot to mention something or they found something that was submitted inthe wrong section.

The main thing I say is reporting all of your income. As long as you report everything there should be no problems other then an occasional reassessment for wrong section.

The OP's situation sounds like a scam either way.

civic_ek4
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
i would suggest you go down to your bank and let them know you could be a victim of identity theft, so they would take extra security measures on your accounts.

If you think you have a serious enough case file it with the police.

kenny
02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
First off, if the caller said the are from Revenue Canada they are likely a scammer (not sure if thats what they said just going by the thread title). They changed the name from Revenue Canada to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA for short).

This page should help you figure out if you received a call from CRA or from someone phishing for information from you.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ntcs/bwr-eng.html

Speed_69
02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Yup, definitely sounds like a scam.

I got reassessed couple years ago and owed the government some money back. They never once called me, just sent me a letter stating what they discovered and how much I owed.