Axe
02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Amount investing: Approx. $10K
Type: 4 door Sedan or wagon (mid size).
Transmission: Manual preferred.
Manufacturer: Japanese preferred.
KM: Under 140K
No RHD vehicles

Ok, I understand i'm being picky, but appreciate the forum members' thoughts and feedback.

Looking for a mid size sedan that will be somewhat reliable and has been well maintained. Prefer Japanese brand; as much as I admire the German cars, they will be too expense to maintain for me.

Would prefer an Accord EX, Altima 3.5, Mazda6 (with a 6cyl) but open to suggestions.

Not in a rush and appreciate feedback and help for those looking at this.

jory
02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
You have a PM!

Forcefed
02-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Axe
Amount investing: Approx. $10-11K
Type: 4 door Sedan or wagon (mid size).
Transmission: Manual preferred.
Manufacturer: Japanese preferred.
KM: Under 140K
No RHD vehicles

Ok, I understand i'm being picky, but appreciate the forum members' thoughts and feedback.

Looking for a mid size sedan that will be somewhat reliable and has been well maintained. Prefer Japanese brand; as much as I admire the German cars, they will be too expense to maintain for me.

Would prefer an Accord EX, Altima 3.5, Mazda6 (with a 6cyl) but open to suggestions.

Not in a rush and appreciate feedback and help for those looking at this.

There was a guy selling a nice black 02 Accord in your range...ill find it for you :)

edit: here LINK TO ACCORD (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2002-Honda-Accord-EX-L-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ182726584)

JZS_147
02-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Lexus GS or LS

if i had 10g to blow i would be picking up a second gen GS300/400

:bigpimp:

Axe
02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the link to the Accord (great condition, but a little high in KM). Thanks everyone for the PM's so far. Based on what I have seen I would be willing to spend in the $11-12K range to stay within what I would like for the KM range.

Does anyone have experience driving the Altima with the 3.5? Right now my choices appear to be between spending $10K (ish) for an '03-'04 Altima or $11-12K for an '02-'03 Acura 3.2 TL. I realize they are different cars targeting different markets, but value the thoughts of forum members...

Thanks!

duaner
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Does anyone have experience driving the Altima with the 3.5? Right now my choices appear to be between spending $10K (ish) for an '03-'04 Altima or $11-12K for an '02-'03 Acura 3.2 TL. I realize they are different cars targeting different markets, but value the thoughts of forum members...
Sure do. I enjoy it quite a bit. More than enough power and a lot of room. The interior doesn't look as nice as the '05-'06 and not as nice as my wife's '03 Accord, so it likely isn't as nice as the TL, if that matters.

I just got 26 mpg on my last tank in mixed driving, mostly highway. But in the summer I get 30-31 mpg on the highway and I don't think I've ever been below 22 mpg in the city. Not bad for a car rated at 240 hp at the crank, although my mods probably help.

On the downside is the limo like turning radius. On a very wide residential street, like those in Langdon, I cannot pull a u-turn between the curbs. It can be frustrating, especially in parking lots where people look at you like you don't know how to drive, but you get used to it. There is no LSD like you probably have on your I30t, if that matters.

Mine is a 4AT so I can't comment on the manual shift action.

I know there are guys online that have a fair number of complaints but most of them drive hard all the time and, of course, with any car you risk a lemon. Although, one complaint is about rust, so check closely. The only problem I've had in 3 years was the alternator (lucky for me it failed while at the dealership....hmmm...).

For the most part, stay away from the '02 3.5 and '02-'04 2.5.

They're not necessarily good if you're looking for a car to mod, if you're into that, but they are a pretty good bang-for-the-buck family sedan.

Axe
02-18-2010, 02:21 PM
That's great feedback and advice - thanks very much duaner! I had wondered about the fuel economy with the 3.5 and appreciate your sharing that. Definitlely not looking to Mod - just a soemwhat reliable and fun to drive car that I can put kids seats in the back...I'll take a closer look at the Altima based on your feedback.

duaner
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
You're welcome Axe. :) The kids will definitely fit in the back. lol The Acura most likely has better fit and finish but obviously only a test drive or two will show which is funner to drive.

These might keep you from buying an Altima but it's worth reading:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2006-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/297646-minor-pet-peeves-your-altima.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-2006-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/300634-thinking-about-buying-2005-3-5-se-please-help.html

sneek
02-19-2010, 12:18 PM
:P I might steer clear of TLs with manuals. 2/3 friends who had manual TLs had transmission problems.

The Altima is probably funner to drive than the accord but the interior fit and finish is okay at best. I do like that the gauges have shielding around them which nicely prevents glare.

Masked Bandit
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
You might want to through in the 2002 - 2003 Maxima SE. They came with the 3.5 and were available with a 6 spd. I owned one for a year and it's a lot of car for the money. Pretty fun to drive as well (as fun as fwd can be I guess).

InRich
02-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Forcefed

There was a guy selling a nice black 02 Accord in your range...ill find it for you :)

edit: here LINK TO ACCORD (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2002-Honda-Accord-EX-L-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ182726584)

heres the new link for that car
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/CALGARY_Alberta_2002_HONDA_ACCORD+EX%2bL_3749108.html?srcid=1853614&source=24&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta&ad-attributes=photos,,
I'll sell it for 11k special beyond price. if your at all interested. 160k for a honda is just broken in... My last accord went 320k before some dude crashed into me and wrote it off. the engine was still perfect. that accord is better then any of the other stock cars your currently looking at, besides the TLs, which I'd think are comparable.

Axe
02-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the continuing feedback and ideas...had not thought about the Maxima but I'll see what I can find there....I noticed the '04 posted by another member but the KM were a little high - although based on some research the 3.5 looks like a pretty reliable engine.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the manual TL's - that would be dissapointing as I think that is what adds to the driving experience; although it seems that 99% of them are auto trans anyway.

Thanks to InRich for the offer and the Beyond pricing, but i'm going to keep looking for a bit.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice!

Axe
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Bought a car last night from a Beyond member - Thanks to everyone who contributed their great advice!