angelusmax
02-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Calypso's Taverna
2101 Centre Street NW
Calgary, AB
(403) 250-5533

http://www.calypsostaverna.com

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 7/10
It's a pretty typical Greek restaurant. Low lights but not dark. Good background music that doesn't force you to yell. The place is pretty big so the tables aren't crammed together. Nothing overly special but it's very clean and does the job.

Food: 9/10
We ordered the saganaki to start and it was awesome. Though fried cheese and fresh pita bread is hard to screw up. My wife ordered the mousaka and said it was very good. There wasn't anything left s I'll take her word for it. I had the chicken souvlakia kebab. It was really good. The chicken was moist and flavourful and the vegetables weren't over cooked. The serving sizes were huge (maybe a little too big) and they didn't load up on any one thing more than the others.

We were too stuffed for desert.

Service: 9/10
I believe it's a family run business because our server was also the owner's wife. She was very personable and quick with our drinks. there were only a couple servers but they worked the room fast but still had time to chat a bit.

Pricing: 9/10
They were reasonable. The bill came to $60 with all the food and a couple beers.

Overall: 8.5/10

egmilano
02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
I've recently went aswell, food was great most of it isnt hard to f*uck up.
Owners wife was great, a bit much at some parts of the meal.
The portions seemed a bit small to me but it was great tasting food.
They really need to make the outside reflect its interior because its a nice place which has some great eats.

msommers
02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Hopefully they have roasted lamb on the menu!