PDA

View Full Version : Best shop in the city for waxing snowboard/ski?

Old Snake
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Where is the best place to get your board waxed? I'm looking for responses from people who have had their boards waxed in different shops in the city.

Vince1
02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Old Snake
Where is the best place to get your board waxed? I'm looking for responses from people who have had their boards waxed in different shops in the city.

There's tons of instructional videos out there, IMO best to learn how to do it yourself because it takes about 20 minutes tops, and you don't have to drop it off, wait however long they're backed up, and pay more than you need to.

All I ever use is:

A flat file to sharpen the base edge (6$ Home Depot)
An edging tool (file holder bascially) to do the side edges (approx. 20-25$ ski/sports stores)
A diamond (whetsone) stone for de-tuning and eliminating the burs from the sharpening process, ensuring a smooth, sharp edge (Cheap, Home Depot)

Citrus based wax remover/base cleaner

Any heating iron will work. Rule is, if your wax smokes, it's too hot. Turn it down. 12$ Wal Mart iron will work just as well as a fancy overpriced brand name shop iron.
A plastic scraper with a corner cutout, to easily clean the wax off the edges.
Green scrubbies or a brush. I prefer scrubbies.
Wax of course.
You'll need some sort of vises/stands to hold your board, My GF got me these Burton ones that mount to any table, think they were like 60$.

Now I've been tuning my own skis/boards since I was 16, keep in mind there's no real "right" way of doing this, it all boils down to personal preference and how comfortable you are experimenting with different ways to tune your board, based on experience.
Just search youtube for "how to tune a snowboard" and tons of videos pop up that will point you in the right direction. Plus it's fun, throw on some old Beastie Boys, Black Flag or Bad Religion, case of Coronas, get your buddies over and tune boards. Good times!

But If you really don't wanna do it yourself, Big D at What's Your Racket on 14 st and 12th Ave SW, he knows what's up for sure. Just don't take it to Sport Chek where some kid that tuned a dozen boards in his life is now calling himself a tech. Tuning boards and skis is an art, and anybody making 13$/hr likely doesn't care if you have a good day riding or not.

Old Snake
02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Vince1

There's tons of instructional videos out there, IMO best to learn how to do it yourself because it takes about 20 minutes tops, and you don't have to drop it off, wait however long they're backed up, and pay more than you need to.

All I ever use is:

A flat file to sharpen the base edge (6$ Home Depot)
An edging tool (file holder bascially) to do the side edges (approx. 20-25$ ski/sports stores)
A diamond (whetsone) stone for de-tuning and eliminating the burs from the sharpening process, ensuring a smooth, sharp edge (Cheap, Home Depot)

Citrus based wax remover/base cleaner

Any heating iron will work. Rule is, if your wax smokes, it's too hot. Turn it down. 12$ Wal Mart iron will work just as well as a fancy overpriced brand name shop iron.
A plastic scraper with a corner cutout, to easily clean the wax off the edges.
Green scrubbies or a brush. I prefer scrubbies.
Wax of course.
You'll need some sort of vises/stands to hold your board, My GF got me these Burton ones that mount to any table, think they were like 60$.

Now I've been tuning my own skis/boards since I was 16, keep in mind there's no real "right" way of doing this, it all boils down to personal preference and how comfortable you are experimenting with different ways to tune your board, based on experience.
Just search youtube for "how to tune a snowboard" and tons of videos pop up that will point you in the right direction. Plus it's fun, throw on some old Beastie Boys, Black Flag or Bad Religion, case of Coronas, get your buddies over and tune boards. Good times!

But If you really don't wanna do it yourself, Big D at What's Your Racket on 14 st and 12th Ave SW, he knows what's up for sure. Just don't take it to Sport Chek where some kid that tuned a dozen boards in his life is now calling himself a tech. Tuning boards and skis is an art, and anybody making 13$/hr likely doesn't care if you have a good day riding or not.

Thanks.

beyondpinoy
02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
dude its super easy, watch youtube video's on how to do it, and you'll be fine... super super easy!!!

thrasher22
02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
But if you're going to pay for it, Felix Ski Service in Montgomery does unreal work.

Both my Dad and I always go there when we need serious repair (just devastated bases and edges) and they always come out looking as good, or better than new. :thumbsup:

benyl
02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
But if you're going to pay for it, Felix Ski Service in Montgomery does unreal work.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=felix+ski+service+calgary&fb=1&hq=felix+ski+service&hnear=calgary&cid=5041344284508842904

Both my Dad and I always go there when we need serious repair (just devastated bases and edges) and they always come out looking as good, or better than new. :thumbsup: :werd: :werd: :werd:

FLARE
02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Ski Cellar 17th is the best hands down.

mazdavirgin
02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Missions does a great job :) Buddies take their boards there and they are always pleased with the service and people. Nice to support the small local shops instead of the chain stores.