PDA

View Full Version : Peanut allergy buffer zones on airlines

can't hide
02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/news/strangenews/Air_Canada_proposes_nut-free_zone_to_accommodate_passengers_with_allergies_84705062.html

Maybe there should be self-contained bubbles that everyone can sit in so that there is absolutely no contact with anyone else. Then you can have peanuts and pets in your own bubble.

Problem solved!

Feruk
02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
those gross snacks Air Canada serves have nuts in them?! I thought they had them specifically because they were nut-free.

Crazy paranoia; from now on I'm flying with a nut mix.

urban.one
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
http://www.suburra.com/images%20-%20PD%20blog/Peanuts%20WEB%20707.jpg

baygirl
02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
I've flown with my daughter, who has a peanut allergy. Asking people around us not to eat peanuts is a much better alternative then 1)not traveling, or 2)watching her struggle to breath at 30,000ft., knowing that we'll never make to a hospital in the 20 minutes that her epi-pen buys us.

FraserB
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
So long as none of this increases the cost of tickets for those not taking advantage of the program there is no problem. If there are going to be additional fees introduced by the airline, they should be payed by the passenger wanting the buffer zone and not those who don't utilize it.

PremiumRSX
02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
I've flown with my daughter, who has a peanut allergy. Asking people around us not to eat peanuts is a much better alternative then 1)not traveling, or 2)watching her struggle to breath at 30,000ft., knowing that we'll never make to a hospital in the 20 minutes that her epi-pen buys us.

I don't know anybody with a nut allergy but I know it can be fatal.

Just so I'm aware, how does the allergic reaction get triggered? Does some of the nut have to be actually ingested?

can't hide
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Don't get me wrong - I understand what can happen to people with severe allergies. I have a friend that is allergic to peanuts, eggs, bees, you name it he's allergic. Severley allergic. I'm not making light of peoples allergies. I'm just saying that there are a number of things that are going to bother people when you get a crowd together in a confined space.

If buffer zones allow people to take pets, not be around peanuts or even not be as close to stinky people then by all means. It's a better compromise than none.

baygirl
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX

Just so I'm aware, how does the allergic reaction get triggered? Does some of the nut have to be actually ingested?
With my daughter, I put peanut butter on the bagel, and just put it on the table in front of her. Next thing I know, even though she hadn't actually eaten any, her face, eyes and tongue were swollen. If someone sitting next to us was eating a bag of peanuts, there is a chance she could have a reaction. I don't expect everyone on the plane to give up their snacks, I just want the people around me to be aware, and only once have I had a problem. The staff informed the man in the seat next to us, and he demanded we be moved. We did, no questions asked, even though I prefer to sit in the first row, so she won't be kicking the seat in front of her. As much as I would like to put her in a bubble to protect her, I can't, but to me asking people near us not to eat peanuts is the same as making sure she's buckled in in the car.

scat19
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
If you want people around you to do certain things, you need to be prepared for the ones that don't.

For me, it's you move or I move. One of the two. I don't want to be restricted by an outside force that has nothing to do with me.

baygirl
02-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by scat19
If you want people around you to do certain things, you need to be prepared for the ones that don't.

For me, it's you move or I move. One of the two. I don't want to be restricted by an outside force that has nothing to do with me.
That's why I had no problem with moving. Part of me would like to believe he wasn't being a jerk, but that he didn't want to be any way responsible if anything happened. You'd be surprised some of the things that contain peanuts.

can't hide
02-20-2010, 12:44 AM

That's why I had no problem with moving. Part of me would like to believe he wasn't being a jerk, but that he didn't want to be any way responsible if anything happened. You'd be surprised some of the things that contain peanuts.

Or peanut oil for that matter. I'm glad that for you people have been mostly receptive.

I can't really think of a reason why it would be a problem to refrain from peanuts for the duration of a flight. :confused:

So then it comes down to this - those people that had problems with pets being put above human rights, would the same thing apply to them with peanuts? Does your right to have peanuts outweigh the minority of people with peanut allergies that this could very seriously affect? I know it's a stretch between those two but my point is that just because it may be the minority that requests a change does that automatically mean that they are undeserving because they ARE the minority?

scary_perry
02-20-2010, 12:45 AM
nvm

Kritafo
02-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I am confused to as the comment about needing to get someone to buy an epi-pen they are allowed on the airplane?

If someone has these allergies an epi pen should be carried at all times. I know for a fact they are allowed and don't cause any problems with getting on board.

baygirl
02-20-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't know why people find it so hard to compromise. With the pets on a plane, just say you don't want to sit near one. The thing that bugs me most is the people who seem to think I'm just an over protective, paranoid parent. I don't want peanuts banned from everywhere, but the public has to realize this is a life threatening allergy. Yes, she is in a minority, but she has the right to live her life. If that inconviences someone, I am sorry, but her life is more important then their peanut craving.

baygirl
02-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I am confused to as the comment about needing to get someone to buy an epi-pen they are allowed on the airplane?

If someone has these allergies an epi pen should be carried at all times. I know for a fact they are allowed and don't cause any problems with getting on board.
I actually travel with 2. The problem is, once she's been given the shot, we have max 20 minutes to seek emergency help.

can't hide
02-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't know why people find it so hard to compromise. With the pets on aplane, just say you don't want to seat near one. The thing that bugs me most is the people who seem to think I'm just an over protective, paranoid parent. I don't want peanuts banned from everywhere, but the public has to realize this is a life threatening allergy. Yes, she is in a minority, but she has the right to live her life. If that inconviences someone, I am sorry, but her life is more important then their peanut craving.

Absolutely.

mazdavirgin
02-20-2010, 01:15 AM

An epi pen is a band aid fix. It buys you anywhere from 10-20 mins after injection. That is clearly not enough time to land the plane and get the victim in an ambulance... Realistically it is only a matter of time before someone dies on a flight.

Originally posted by can't hide
So then it comes down to this - those people that had problems with pets being put above human rights, would the same thing apply to them with peanuts? Does your right to have peanuts outweigh the minority of people with peanut allergies that this could very seriously affect? I know it's a stretch between those two but my point is that just because it may be the minority that requests a change does that automatically mean that they are undeserving because they ARE the minority?

Pets and peanuts don't belong in the cabin just like I can't go outside and shoot my rifle in the air to celebrate Canada winning a medal.

can't hide
02-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Pets and peanuts don't belong in the cabin just like I can't go outside and shoot my rifle in the air to celebrate Canada winning a medal.

:rofl: good point!

R154
02-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Life > peanuts. No matter what or who you are. If someone near/around you informs you that their life hangs in the balance with a severe allergy; you best be sure that you are 100% liable if that person suffers a reaction from you knowingly exposing them to that element. Doubly so in a sealed environment with their trigger being a food item.

Things like allergies NEED to be assesed case by case. If you get a rash from my peanut consumption... then you can make arrangements to be away from contact. But if youre risking anaphalaxis, NO ONE should be playing with that.

Peanut allergies are a big enough concern to society that in the interest of 'everybody preservation', rules need to be implemented.

This whole idea of being so arrogant and self centered that you must be able to do what you want, when you want is disgusting, and is the crux of the issue. With certain people being catered to over others; and a lack of survival of the fittest, (because I mean seriously, its irrelevant in 1st world countries) you MUST let go of that attitude. - TKRIS would like this.

Last word: If you knowingly cause someone discomfort, or make them compromise in a life or death situation over something trivial like eating snack food, then you deserve to be bludgened to death with an elephantitis version of that legume.

As for the reference with shooting off a rifle. :rofl:

can't hide
02-20-2010, 02:22 AM
cashews are way better anyways.

chkolny541
02-20-2010, 05:17 AM
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/cleanplatecharlie/mr_peanut_warning.jpg

only a matter of time though before this gets applied to nearly every allergy though, :dunno:

but if someone actually told me to not eat nuts, or anything really for that matter, so long as they werent being huge dicks about it, i would deff respect their request

Kritafo
02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
so what are you going to do if the person in the flight before you brought a peanut butter sandwich and that person wiped his hands all over the seat and tray. Even if you wipe the tray down the peanut oil would still be on the seat?

And for those of you who would give in to a parents request, how many of you would say okay in a workplace of hundreds? Please don't eat anything with peanuts because I could die, I think most people would tell you to f- off.

"In really bad cases, tree nut and peanut allergies can cause a condition called anaphylaxis (pronounced: ah-nuh-fuh-lak-sus). Anaphylaxis is a sudden, potentially life-threatening reaction that, in addition to the symptoms mentioned above, can make someone's airways swell and blood pressure drop. As a result, the person may have trouble breathing and could lose consciousness.

Peanut reactions can be very severe, even if a person isn't exposed to much peanut protein. Experts think this might be because the immune system recognizes peanut proteins more easily than other food proteins.

Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells. Although some people outgrow certain food allergies over time (like milk, egg, soy, and wheat allergies), peanut and tree nut allergies are lifelong in most people."

baygirl
02-20-2010, 02:25 PM
so what are you going to do if the person in the flight before you brought a peanut butter sandwich and that person wiped his hands all over the seat and tray. Even if you wipe the tray down the peanut oil would still be on the seat?

"In really bad cases, tree nut and peanut allergies can cause a condition called anaphylaxis (pronounced: ah-nuh-fuh-lak-sus). Anaphylaxis is a sudden, potentially life-threatening reaction that, in addition to the symptoms mentioned above, can make someone's airways swell and blood pressure drop. As a result, the person may have trouble breathing and could lose consciousness.

Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells. Although some people outgrow certain food allergies over time (like milk, egg, soy, and wheat allergies), peanut and tree nut allergies are lifelong in most people."
This is why my main concern is with actual peanuts. If you are 3-4 rows away me and my daughter, I could care less what you eat. The last time we flew, the flight crew informed all the passengers, but our buffer zone was just the 2 rows directly around us. I don't ask for special treatment to be difficult, I do what is needed to keep my daughter safe.
As for the passengers before us eating a sandwich and wiping his hands on the seat, This is why the airlines will tell you they cannot guarantee a peanut-free flight, they can just make sure other passengers are aware, and peanuts are not consumed near us.
As for the people who say thay will eat what they want, who cares? What would you rather-wait until you get off the plane to eat your peanuts, or to have the flight diverted for an emergency landing because someone is unconscious, and struggling to breathe?

Antonito
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM

And for those of you who would give in to a parents request, how many of you would say okay in a workplace of hundreds? Please don't eat anything with peanuts because I could die, I think most people would tell you to f- off.

:dunno: I've worked with people with peanut allergies before, so pretty much the whole floor of the building didn't eat peanuts while at work, and no one cared. Especially after the first time the guy did have a reaction and had to be taken to the hospital because someone honestly forgot. Really, you'd have to be a world class cunt to get pissy about not eating peanuts for 8 hours a day

FivE.SeveN
02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
We had a thread like this a while ago, where's that link that shows people can have allergic reactions just from the thought of peanuts again? Aka some of it is mental

msommers
02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Ya I'd LOVE to read that "study"

baygirl
02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
We had a thread like this a while ago, where's that link that shows people can have allergic reactions just from the thought of peanuts again? Aka some of it is mental
I just read that thread, and couldn't find the link. As for some of it being mental, I'm pretty sure that when my daughter's eyes, face and tongue swelled up just from placing the peanut butter on the table in front of her(she didn't even touch it), it was real, and not because she thought she was going to have a reaction. I wish people would wake up and realize this is a life threatening condition, and should be taken seriously. As for those who would suggest we not fly, I'm sorry, but I am not going to limit her life experiences because of her allergy, especially when a reaction can be avoided by taking necessary precautions i.e. asking people around us not to eat peanuts.

urban.one
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Woman with peanut allergy forced to take another flight
Last Updated: Sunday, February 28, 2010 | 11:22 AM MT Comments2Recommend19CBC News
A Calgary woman with a severe peanut allergy is upset that she was asked to leave a flight from Mexico this month after asking the flight attendants not to serve the snack to passengers.

Juliane Braren, who has taken about 50 flights in her lifetime, said she has always asked the attendants on her flights not to serve peanuts because she has had a severe allergy since birth.

But the Mexicana flight crew wouldn't change the snack menu and asked her to take a different flight, she said.

"It makes me very angry — very, very angry," she said. "It actually hurts me. It hurts me that people could be so insensitive and just not care about other people."

Mexicana organized a flight on another airline for Braren to return to Canada.

An airline spokesperson said changes to meals and snacks have to be organized in advance.

WestJet and Air Canada do not serve peanuts on flights.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/02/26/calgary-woman-peanutallergy.html#ixzz0gwYPthFw

HiTempguy1
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
So, was she charged extra? I have to admit, if they place you on another flight (no charge) then that is fair game; it is YOUR problem to deal with (being a peanut allergy sufferer myself, I would know). It shouldn't be that everyone conforms to you, and as somebody pointed out, most respectable human beings understand when you ask them politely not to eat peanuts around you.

My allergy isn't that bad at all, but I still have to pay attention to what I eat.

Tik-Tok
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
blah blah blah angry whiny woman...

You know I understand it does suck, but really, isn't this the kind of thing that you should be letting the airline know IN ADVANCE?

What if Mexicana's only snack was peanuts? They land, load up with peanuts, and THEN are asked not to serve them? There would more angry customers that didn't get a snack, then just the 1 angry woman (who still reached her destination, with no extra cost to her).

Maybe if she had given the airline advance notice, they could have ordered another type of snack for that flight.

Kennyredline
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I think there should be a fat person buffer zone, so all the fatties can sit by themselves, instead of oozing fat over my armrest. The same should go for smelly people, put all the fat stinkers at the back of the plane; I'm sure I could convince someone I have an allergy to people like that.

max_boost
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
It just sucks having any kind of allergy and if you happen to be fat at the same time, then FYL! :rofl:

TKRIS
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by R154
Life > peanuts. No matter what or who you are. If someone near/around you informs you that their life hangs in the balance with a severe allergy; you best be sure that you are 100% liable if that person suffers a reaction from you knowingly exposing them to that element. Doubly so in a sealed environment with their trigger being a food item.

Things like allergies NEED to be assesed case by case. If you get a rash from my peanut consumption... then you can make arrangements to be away from contact. But if youre risking anaphalaxis, NO ONE should be playing with that.

Peanut allergies are a big enough concern to society that in the interest of 'everybody preservation', rules need to be implemented.

This whole idea of being so arrogant and self centered that you must be able to do what you want, when you want is disgusting, and is the crux of the issue. With certain people being catered to over others; and a lack of survival of the fittest, (because I mean seriously, its irrelevant in 1st world countries) you MUST let go of that attitude. - TKRIS would like this.

Last word: If you knowingly cause someone discomfort, or make them compromise in a life or death situation over something trivial like eating snack food, then you deserve to be bludgened to death with an elephantitis version of that legume.

As for the reference with shooting off a rifle. :rofl:

Speak on brother.

We need to start solving out own fucking problems instead of simply trying to get laws passed to legislate everyone.

If a little girl is going to fucking DIE if you eat peanuts, you don't eat fucking peanuts. If you do, you should bear the brunt of social stigma, humiliation and mocking that such an act of douchebaggery ought to carry.

"Social Pressure" should be enough to dictate behaviour in these situations. If it isn't, the solution isn't to bring in more gaddamned laws, it's to use social pressure to kick some fucking asses.

Some things "just aren't done". That's because we have a virtually global understanding that these things cannot be allowed in polite society. That set of rules is vital, IMO, and if we let it go in favor of trying to come up with a new law for every fucking thing we all know full fucking well shouldn't be allowed, we neuter our ability to adapt and transition.

403Gemini
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

:dunno: I've worked with people with peanut allergies before, so pretty much the whole floor of the building didn't eat peanuts while at work, and no one cared. Especially after the first time the guy did have a reaction and had to be taken to the hospital because someone honestly forgot. Really, you'd have to be a world class cunt to get pissy about not eating peanuts for 8 hours a day

My floor banned peanuts because one of my bosses heard an employee say he was allergic to peanuts... even after he said "its nothing TOO serious" they still freaked out. Guess it is a liability...

But my question is, has anybody actually ever died from being on an airplane and somebody sitting around them eating peanuts? Like lets face it, in the 80's-90's they gave you REAL peanuts, then in the 2000's+ they started giving those shitty nuts... Has anybody ever died in the last 30 years because of this? Let alone passed out on an airplane because of it? I dont take the last 2 yrs into any consideration since we live in a constant state of over exaggeration and fear. This isn't a new allergy, it certainly hasn't "evolved" to be more deadly... so why are we so panicked now over something that has been around since, well, forever?

I'm allergic to peanuts, but I don't ever mention it to people because of the way people overreact - example: this thread.

edit: said example above of a co-worker mentioning they have a peanut allergy, no, that wasn't me ;) I did however :rolleyes: after i saw every bodies reaction

baygirl
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

My floor banned peanuts because one of my bosses heard an employee say he was allergic to peanuts... even after he said "its nothing TOO serious" they still freaked out. Guess it is a liability...

But my question is, has anybody actually ever died from being on an airplane and somebody sitting around them eating peanuts? Like lets face it, in the 80's-90's they gave you REAL peanuts, then in the 2000's+ they started giving those shitty nuts... Has anybody ever died in the last 30 years because of this? Let alone passed out on an airplane because of it? I dont take the last 2 yrs into any consideration since we live in a constant state of over exaggeration and fear. This isn't a new allergy, it certainly hasn't "evolved" to be more deadly... so why are we so panicked now over something that has been around since, well, forever?

I'm allergic to peanuts, but I don't ever mention it to people because of the way people overreact - example: this thread.

edit: said example above of a co-worker mentioning they have a peanut allergy, no, that wasn't me ;) I did however :rolleyes: after i saw every bodies reaction
I have never heard of anyone dying on a plane, but I don't want my daughter to be the first, which is why I request the buffer zone when I book and again when I board. If anyone has a problem I'll gladly move. And I agree with you about people over-reacting. My daughter was not invited to a birthday party because the parents were scared:rolleyes:. I do have a question for you though-(since you said you're allergic) do your reactions keep getting worse? My daughter's doctor just says that there are conflicting studies, and no solid proof.

403Gemini
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

I have never heard of anyone dying on a plane, but I don't want my daughter to be the first, which is why I request the buffer zone when I book and again when I board. If anyone has a problem I'll gladly move. And I agree with you about people over-reacting. My daughter was not invited to a birthday party because the parents were scared:rolleyes:. I do have a question for you though-(since you said you're allergic) do your reactions keep getting worse? My daughter's doctor just says that there are conflicting studies, and no solid proof.

If anything my allergies have gotten much better. Cats still affect me with runny eyes and a runny nose, but i eat shellfish all of the time. Hell I go out for all you can eat crab legs once a month and sushi probably once a week whereas 15 years ago I would have probably died doing that. :dunno: Dunno if I built up an immunity, but peanuts dont seem to bother me too much anymore at all. I have tried eating them and after about 1 handful i do feel my throat closing up and i get really really warm. Again if I tried that years ago, i'd be in the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your daughter not being allowed to a friends party, some people just spaz out , drives me nuts. Its like our whole hand sanitizing society that is terrified of everything.

1barA4
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

If anything my allergies have gotten much better. Cats still affect me with runny eyes and a runny nose, but i eat shellfish all of the time. Hell I go out for all you can eat crab legs once a month and sushi probably once a week whereas 15 years ago I would have probably died doing that. :dunno: Dunno if I built up an immunity, but peanuts dont seem to bother me too much anymore at all. I have tried eating them and after about 1 handful i do feel my throat closing up and i get really really warm. Again if I tried that years ago, i'd be in the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your daughter not being allowed to a friends party, some people just spaz out , drives me nuts. Its like our whole hand sanitizing society that is terrified of everything.

You can eventually break the allergies altogether (as long as an exposure =/= death)

My wife's best friend broke her peanut allergy by slowing introducing peanuts into her diet over like 3 years. Now she can come for vietnamese food, eat full packs of peanut M&M's, etc. And she used to carry an epi pen too (peanut dust used to give her hives and rashes)

I broke my cat allergy by buying a cat. 30 days of misery (and she's a really affectionate cat which technically made it worse lol) but now I am not allergic to *any* cat (though the interwebs said the overloading should only make me immune to *my* cat)...if only this would work with my hayfever!

scat19
03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
It just sucks having any kind of allergy and if you happen to be fat at the same time, then FYL! :rofl:

:thumbsup:

403Gemini
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 1barA4

You can eventually break the allergies altogether (as long as an exposure =/= death)

My wife's best friend broke her peanut allergy by slowing introducing peanuts into her diet over like 3 years. Now she can come for vietnamese food, eat full packs of peanut M&M's, etc. And she used to carry an epi pen too (peanut dust used to give her hives and rashes)

I broke my cat allergy by buying a cat. 30 days of misery (and she's a really affectionate cat which technically made it worse lol) but now I am not allergic to *any* cat (though the interwebs said the overloading should only make me immune to *my* cat)...if only this would work with my hayfever!

Hhaa yeah oddly enough I can eat a bag of peanut M&M's (near the end my throat feels more "clogged" and closed up, but nothing too serious, hey least I can breathe!) , however cats, I don't think I'll ever break. I've been around cats my entire life. I grew up with at least 2 cats around me (living with family, friends etc) and never was able to get over that allergy. Got so bad at the last place i lived I had to stay in my room and would only come out for food/washroom. Needless to say i had to change those living arrangements. now for the last year I've been cat free :D

creeper
03-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by can't hide
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/news/strangenews/Air_Canada_proposes_nut-free_zone_to_accommodate_passengers_with_allergies_84705062.html

Maybe there should be self-contained bubbles that everyone can sit in so that there is absolutely no contact with anyone else. Then you can have peanuts and pets in your own bubble.

Problem solved!

And be insulated from the stench and chatter of the un-washed public? Sign me up. I'll pay extra.

Xtrema
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Political correctness is eroding civil liberties.

Although I don't miss peanut but what's next as human are generating more severe reaction to all kind of allergies?

As the chick on the Mexicana flight, did she tell the airline ahead of time of her medical needs or did she just spring the request on them on the spot?

We cannot create a society that cater to minorities in every case.

403Gemini
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Political correctness is eroding civil liberties.

Although I don't miss peanut but what's next as human are generating more severe reaction to all kind of allergies?

As the chick on the Mexicana flight, did she tell the airline ahead of time of her medical needs or did she just spring the request on them on the spot?

We cannot create a society that cater to minorities in every case.

Sure we can, it's called Canada... bazinga!!!