PDA

View Full Version : Expired Beer

flipstah
02-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Are there any repercussions in drinking expired beer? I discovered some hidden Blue Moon that expired in November 2008 in the fridge and it tastes the same... :dunno:

Since I can't tell anything in taste, is that a good thing or a bad thing? haha it's no Rickards but it's interesting.

bourge73
02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
ya I 'd say go for it, I mean if you start seeing shit, have another....

Cos
02-19-2010, 07:31 PM
let us know what it does. Ill start curing my own beer.

flipstah
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
A review is at hand!

Okay, so curiosity got the better of me and now, I'll try to enjoy it through a glass:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_0635.jpg

Looks the same. Tastes the same... Although it's leaving a burning sensation in my stomach. :(

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_0636.jpg

It's expired alright. When I poured it at an angle, the spotlight made me see something nasty:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_0638.jpg

WTF is that shit?!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_0640.jpg

AHH! Agitation makes it worse! :barf:

Meh, tastes better than a Canadian. ENJOY! :D

I think the alcohol broke down too; I'm the weaksauce Asian so usually I get flustered when I drink alcohol so either I became more tolerant or it broke down as time went by.

Meh.

Benny
02-19-2010, 08:37 PM
We found some REALLY old beers sitting in my buddy's cellar. They were the old shaped bottles, no twist tops, and they had probably been there for at least 20 years. So naturally, we drank a couple. It was kinda strange, almost as if the normally light beer had turned dark with age. I'm not blind and I'm still around to tell the story so it couldn't have been anything THAT bad.:dunno:

flipstah
02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Benny
We found some REALLY old beers sitting in my buddy's cellar. They were the old shaped bottles, no twist tops, and they had probably been there for at least 20 years. So naturally, we drank a couple. It was kinda strange, almost as if the normally light beer had turned dark with age. I'm not blind and I'm still around to tell the story so it couldn't have been anything THAT bad.:dunno:

It wasn't bad and in fact, it tasted a bit better. Just a tad. It was just that chunky stuff that threw me off.

bourge73
02-19-2010, 09:01 PM
ya man that sediment in the bottom looks huge! Maybe if you have a few more strain them into a mug first. And for F sakes use a nice frosty mug my man!

pf0sh0
02-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I had grooooosss ass MGD before, wasn't sure if it was exired or not.. but they still tasted like shit.

QuasarCav
02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
It doesn't look like you are drinking that at the club.

SScott
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Honey Blue Moon FTW

black300
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Beer I don't know about but as liquor (hard) gets older it's suppose to be better, the age effect.

davidI
02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I've drank plenty of expired beer here in Yemen as we have reserves left over from when it was easy to import. Hell, even the Movenpick Hotel sells expired beers for $11US. Anyways, other than getting the occasional $hits, I never had any problems.

schocker
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Anyways, other than getting the occasional $hits, I never had any problems.
haha, I think I would call that a problem. :rofl:

How good is this honey blue moon, I saw it at walmart but was had not tried it before.

Graham_A_M
02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Deer Valley Liquor makes quite a habit of buying expired beer thats about to be disgarded, then reselling it with these "on sale" prices. Most of their supposed "deal of the week" type beers are at least 1 year past expiry, if not more.:nut:

Until I found out it was expired, it all tasted the same to me. :dunno:

flipstah
02-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by schocker

How good is this honey blue moon, I saw it at walmart but was had not tried it before.

Honey Blue Moon is America's version of Rickard's White but doesn't compare in terms of taste.

I'm a Rickard's Red kind-of guy though so I may be biased.

davidI
02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by schocker

haha, I think I would call that a problem. :rofl:

Trust me - if you're in Yemen for any length of time you get used to painting the bowl on occasion.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Deer Valley Liquor makes quite a habit of buying expired beer thats about to be disgarded, then reselling it with these "on sale" prices. Most of their supposed "deal of the week" type beers are at least 1 year past expiry, if not more.:nut:

That just reminded me of when I was in University and my buddy and I came across 1 month expired Kold for $4 / 6 bottles. We came back with a truck and bought around 6 flats of 24 haha.

know1edge
02-20-2010, 12:47 AM

Nufy
02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Is that the one by the IGA or CO-OP ???

I usually buy mine from the one by the 7-11 across from the schools.

Beer usually doesn't last long enough in my house to go past the expiry date...whatever it may be.

Vince1
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't drink expired beer, beer is basically liquid bread. Would you eat expired bread? That shit on the bottom of OP's pic? Pure penicillin. Equivalent of moldy bread.

Graham_A_M
02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

Is that the one by the IGA or CO-OP ???

I usually buy mine from the one by the 7-11 across from the schools.

Beer usually doesn't last long enough in my house to go past the expiry date...whatever it may be.

The one beside the Sobeys. (just a couple doors south)

The one right beside McDonalds & KFC is Deer Point liquor. Thats a great store, but I've mainly went to Queensland liquor whenever I want to pick something up (yeah, the one beside 7-11 & the schools). They're very reasonable.... I've yet to see better prices towards their higher end wines :dunno:

nonlinear
02-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Blue Moon is unfiltered... the "sludge" you see at the bottom is a combination of yeast, hops, grains, etc. and is totally normal for an unfiltered beer. that shit is good for you, so drink it up!

Benny
02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by davidI
That just reminded me of when I was in University and my buddy and I came across 1 month expired Kold for $4 / 6 bottles. We came back with a truck and bought around 6 flats of 24 haha.

Haha been there before. A couple years back Crowfoot Liquor had this Country 105 beer that was gonna expire soon. They priced it at $4 a sixer. They had a couple pallet's worth of the shit too. Needless to say we came back and bought flats regularly. Hard not to when for 20 beans you can get a 24 and still have enough left over for a McDonalds apple pie. Those were the days. Can't remember a fucking thing from that summer haha.