PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new vehic. Need some input.

RevTyler
02-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey,

I'm upgrading my car in the next month or so.

I'm swapping from an 07 Cobalt, for a couple of reasons not to be bothered with here.

I'm looking in to getting something a bit bigger. When got my Cobalt I didn't need it for anything but city driving. Since then however, I'm doing a lot more sports and camping.

I'm looking in to getting a small SUV that I can fit all my snowboarding gear and kiteboarding gear at the same time, as well as a tent and bags to go roadtripping with.
For non-sporting trips I'd love to have the back seats totally foldable so my wife and I can sleep in the back with a foamy.

That's pretty much the jist of what I need. I don't really know a whole lot about cars. I'm looking in to a Rav4 or a Subaru.

If anyone could toss me a list or some ideas that I can look in to, that would be sweet.

Cozmanator
02-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Some more info would make it easier for everyone to help you like budget.

For small suvs, without breaking the bank the Tiguan is a good choice. Now I dunno how tall you and your wife are, but I tried something similar in a fairly sized suv ( new grand cherokee) and it was tight as a mofo, so I dunno how a smaller suv would handle that. Id never in my life get a Rav4... subaru on the other hand makes really nice cars.

scat19
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
OMFG PICK ONE YOU WANT AND GO BUY IT

KTHXBAI

spikerS
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
The Ford Escape is pretty nice, my parents have one, and when road tripping, fold the seats down and sleep in the back. they just bought a 4" foam sheet that can be rolled up easily. Pretty roomy and the ride is nice.

Pathfinders are pretty nice too, they have gotten a bit bigger though, and not really a "small" SUV anymore.

Rav4 i find is cramped, and I don't know if it is just me or what, but those exposed rear axes with no protection really irk me. I know they are no different than a CV joint back there, but it still bugs the shit outta me.

Subaru, IMO is too much money for what it is due to fanboy-ism. 8 years ago, sure, but not so much now. You just don't get what you pay for.

Jeep Patriot would have been a good choice, cheap and roomy, but FIAT axed it.

Dodge Nitro has a nice feel to it, but still feels a bit on the cheap side.

Ford Edge is a nice crossover that is pretty pimp and a good price.

Last Gen Nissan Muranos are pretty awesome!

Mitsubishi Endeavors are pretty tight too.

basically, i don't think i would go with either of your choices, but to each thier own.

Kardon
02-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by scat19
OMFG PICK ONE YOU WANT AND GO BUY IT

KTHXBAI

Wtf is the deal with asking fellow car enthusiats there opinions on different vehicles? Discussion on a discussion board!?!

Later model foresters grew compared to first gens, those could be a good choice. Pathfinders are real suv's, and they can be had pretty cheap. Not sure about the rear seat folding though.

Cozmanator
02-19-2010, 09:40 PM
X3,LR2, GLK.... etc. Like really the choices are endless..

911fever
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
What are you budgeting? So many endless choices

scat19
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Kardon

Wtf is the deal with asking fellow car enthusiats there opinions on different vehicles? Discussion on a discussion board!?!

Later model foresters grew compared to first gens, those could be a good choice. Pathfinders are real suv's, and they can be had pretty cheap. Not sure about the rear seat folding though.

I guess the 5 "what should I buy" threads a week is getting to me. :dunno:

spikerS
02-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by scat19

I guess the 5 "what should I buy" threads a week is getting to me. :dunno:

but as usual, it does not stop you posting.

hkcivic2k2
02-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda Element might be perfect for what your looking for

scat19
02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by spikers

but as usual, it does not stop you posting.

:thumbsup:

sgt_hawk
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I'd say an Avalanche.
Little on the pricey side but, Score a nice used Northface edition and have amazing offroad abilities and power.

Could easily fit all that gear in there, its all 100% waterproof in the box. If you ever needed more room you can buy a canopy for it. Fold down the Back and Sleep in it,
Which actually works great with their northface edition because it has an automatic dehumidifier built in so its not all.... Damp in the morning.
I could go on :P

Maybe a little biased as my Dad drives an '03 Northface but overall i dont know anyone with an avalanche that's disappointed with any of it.

Good luck man

RevTyler
02-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the input.

I suppose I should have put in a budget. I'm looking for 26-30k tops.

I'm out of country right now so I haven't actually had the chance to look at anything on the lot yet but this will make shopping around easier.

Cozmanator
02-20-2010, 05:00 AM
For that budget id personally go for a jeep wrangler unlimited, it truly takes you mostly everywhere youd need to go on/off road. You seem like a active type, and the wrangler kinda fits that pretty well.

I cant say for sure, but im assuming your cobalt is manual? If so, going with a manual tranny on a wrangler would keep the feel the same. I dunno bout other people, but when I drive autos after manuals.. My foot keeps looking for the clutch and my hand keeps reaching to shift.:D

Like I said before, Id never get a Rav4 personally but everyone is different. You might get a good deal with the whole recall thing going on.

Good luck in your quest!

911fever
02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Easy choice with that budget.
2011 Sorento. Take a look at the 2.4L EX FWD or if you want more features, get the 2.4L EX I4. And if AWD is a must its only $28,495
Fold flat seats all around, and it can fit a 6 foot ladder with the tailgate closed. Most interior space besides the Hyundai Santa Fe. A plethora of legroom, and great fuel economy (which you should consider if you're driving to the mountains and stuff). Much more practical than any Jeep.
IF you want to possibly push your budget take a look at the $31,795 3.5L LX. So many features, looks great, best driving midsize SUV on the road. Has a 5 year warranty, 5 year roadside assistance, and honestly, it will change your mind on Kia.
Great Review:
http://www.insideline.com/kia/sorento/2011/2011-kia-sorento-ex-v6-full-test.html

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/kia/sorento/2011/fd/2011_kia_sorento_actf34_fd_1_815.jpg