PDA

View Full Version : How do scams involving Paypal work?

D'z Nutz
02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
So I've sold things on Kijiji and once in a while I get someone responding with any offer that's clearly a scam (ie: "I'll pay you your price plus $250 for shipping with Paypal if you send it to my son in Nigeria", etc...)

I usually ignore these, but was wondering how the hell are these scams supposed to work in their favour?

Do they expect you to send the item before they send the money or do they "send money" that shows up in your account only to be retracted later? If the latter, what if you transfer that out of your account and into your bank? Would it just be withdrawn from your bank/VISA after it's found that they don't have that balance?

A790
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
They pay with a fake or stolen CC, or using an e-check. The transaction never clears, and the money disappears. You've shipped item, they paid nothing.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

roopi
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
They send the money with a stolen CC #. You ship the item and then someone realizes their CC was used.

D'z Nutz
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
How long does it usually take for them to figure out the credit card is false and they reverse the funds?

A790
02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
How long does it usually take for them to figure out the credit card is false and they reverse the funds?
2-3 days usually? Dunno, never been caught up in it myself.

Thaco
02-20-2010, 03:29 PM
How long does it usually take for them to figure out the credit card is false and they reverse the funds? if it's a stolen CC, it'd depend on the cardholder and how long it takes to notice it's being used.

garyb
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Doesn't really matter the timeline. Someone can come into the bank with their statement from 2 months ago and get charges reversed if they didn't make the transaction. They sign a declaration form, then it becomes a fraud case. Not sure if Visa/MC goes after the receiver of the funds though...

know1edge
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM

mycroftxxx
02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
quit giving Sean Bannerjee ideas on how to expand his business portfolio

KKY
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
no, what's happened to me is, i get an email made to look like it came from paypal, saying that they sent me the money, but it's being held until a tracking number is received.

I've received a similar one before.

se7en
02-20-2010, 10:41 PM
ya, I got one of these as well...stating that the money has been sent, etc.

Only a total idiot would just ship their stuff to a foreign country without logging in to check where the money is.

asfjasljj
02-20-2010, 10:48 PM
dont you need to ship it to the confirmed address from paypal? if paypal said that is confirmed address then i think its safe to do so

D'z Nutz
02-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Okay so let's say someone does send some money to you using a stolen credit card. What happens if you withdraw the money and put it into your bank account before Paypal takes it back? Will you just have a negative balance or can Paypal jack it from your bank account or credit card?

Reason I'm asking is I'm selling some stuff on eBay and the current highest bidder registered a few weeks ago and has a 0 rating. I'm just looking out for my ass just in case since Paypal seems to have taken a preference over buyers lately, rather than people with reputable history.

asfjasljj
02-20-2010, 10:56 PM
^ usually paypal will take a few days to process the transaction and if its in your back then they cant take it out but if its show negative balance on paypal they will send you collector.

soupey
02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by KKY
I've received a similar one before.

have to be careful with those emails too, some of them are fabricated and sent from sites that look very similar to paypal's...

topmade
02-20-2010, 11:44 PM
It's hard to say because every user on Ebay started out with 0 at one point in time. I would say get a phone number and call the guy up for a little chit chat to confirm the transaction. If he/she gives some BS and won't give you a number to call, then obviously it's a scam.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Okay so let's say someone does send some money to you using a stolen credit card. What happens if you withdraw the money and put it into your bank account before Paypal takes it back? Will you just have a negative balance or can Paypal jack it from your bank account or credit card?

Reason I'm asking is I'm selling some stuff on eBay and the current highest bidder registered a few weeks ago and has a 0 rating. I'm just looking out for my ass just in case since Paypal seems to have taken a preference over buyers lately, rather than people with reputable history.

I know someone who tried that, they pulled the scammer money from their PayPal account immediately, but Paypal still went after him for it.

88CRX
02-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I know someone who tried that, they pulled the scammer money from their PayPal account immediately, but Paypal still went after him for it.

Yup... paypal protects the buyers over the sellers now :thumbsdow

pure-hiphop
02-21-2010, 07:35 PM
They don't pay with a fake/stolen CC. They send you a fake ass home made PayPal email saying the funds are in your account and that they will release the money once you ship it.