PDA

View Full Version : Porsche engine removal/swap

maxomilll
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Ookay. My buddy wants to pull the blown engine out of
his 1983 Porsche 944. Now the engine manual says to pull it out from the bottom, which requires pretty much compelet front end removal.. Any way to pull this bad boy from the top out the hood?? Anyone with experince on this would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks.

Bizzareo
02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
removing the front clip makes it so much easier...

Zero102
02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
It does not require complete front end removal. I don't know where you got that from. I have removed/installed 10 or 11 944 engines now and I've never had to take off any body panels to drop the engine out the bottom.

Take it out the bottom, your life will be so much easier. Another thing I recommend is to drop the entire torque tube and rear suspension with it, you can basically lift the car off the drive-line this way and it is very easy to work on everything. If you don't want to go quite this far then my next suggestion is to drop the crossmember and engine together out the bottom. You remove exhaust, intake piping and hoses (leave the manifold in place), rad hoses, radiator, disconnect the A/C lines (if equipped), disconnect the fuel lines, pull the DME wiring harness from the passenger compartment into the engine bay, unbolt the engine from the torque tube, unbolt the intermediate shaft from the steering rack, disconnect the clutch slave line, undo the hose clamp on the steering return line, and disconnect the steering resevoir, unbolt the brake calipers (then re-install the wheels), remove the 4 bolts at the top of each strut tower, unbolt the caster blocks, unbolt the crossmember and lower it out of there. It is much faster than going out the top.

If you want to pull it out the top be prepared to also remove the hood from the car to gain clearance for the hoist, spend a lot of time using an engine leveler to swing the front end of the engine up and down to try to get it to clear the torque tube splines and hood latch at the same time, and you will likely scratch the hell out of the frame rails and damage the hood latch.

If I wasn't so swamped with school and all the shit around my house right now I'd offer to come over and help. In a N/A (which an 83 must be) it only takes about 4 hours to remove the engine with the right tools. I just don't have the time to come help right now.