PDA

View Full Version : How to stop rabbits from shitting on lawn?

nobb
02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Like the title says. You practically cant step anywhere on my lawn without stepping on little marbles/piles of rabbit poo. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rabbits to stop pooing all over my lawn, without harming them?

One of my neighbors has rocks as his front lawn, so no problems there. My other neighbor has bits of rabbit poo as well, but not nearly as much as our lawn. I wonder if it is because our grass is grown by seeds manually (cheap asian parents) vs his which is laid out sod. Maybe our lawn tastes better...who knows.

Never had this problem in our previous house. I live in Kincora...maybe it's just full of rabbits here.

redevil
02-21-2010, 07:22 PM
yeah, I have the same problem at my place as well. Mine is sodded as well. But until I build a fence I need to know if there is a way to stop these poopin rabbits! I'm just accross the way up in Evanston so there is lots of rabbits up here too. :nut:

Nigel Mansell
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Buy a megaphone and command the rabbits to go away late at night.

bourge73
02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
^^:rofl: Im in Panorama Hills and its a real problem its almost like they breed like Rabbits or something....
Its a problem cause you really cant do anything about them I'd love to start pegging them off with a .22 or pellet gun and put them directly onto my BBQ but I think my 7 year old would move out, cause they are just so damn cute. Rats.

kaput
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM

jdmXSI
02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Get a dog or move to a continent where there are no rabbits. You could try and tell them no but I have a feeling that might not work... On the bright side the poop is good fertilizer!

turbotrip
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
you can buy stuff at home depot to make them go away; i forget what it was called something bloodmeal or bonemulch or something like that lol

bourge73
02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
no those shifty greasey little bastards would probably still come back for another shower...

Vince1
02-21-2010, 10:39 PM
You can have a few of our Bowness coyotes, never seen a rabbit around here, ever.

CUG
02-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Sprinkler on a motion sensor? Excellent idea for sure. (being winter and all.)

kaput
02-21-2010, 11:16 PM

HondaKid
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Maybe shoot the idiots who buy these for pets in April and dump them in your area in the fall. The rabbits are being rabbits, the human element are to be blamed. Rabbits are terrible pets for 95% of the population.

Get some coyote piss and sprinkle it around the area, the rabbits will get the idea. Google:

http://www.livetraps.com/animal-urine/coyote-urine

It was a joke, but I now see anything is possible on the www.

Head over to the Calgary Zoo, get some lion or tiger manure, they must sell it or give it away. Sprinkle it around a bit, this is certain to keep everything off your lawn. Or so I read.

jdmXSI
02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
There is some stuff called bitter apple spray that you can pick up at pet stores that should help you out... Apparently rabbits can't stand the smell but I don't know how effective it will be outside.

YamahaV8
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Rabbits make excellent stew...

Hamann
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Contact those fellows from the other thread, the one about the motion activated bug killing lazers (To lazy to find it for link).

Get them to build a bigger, crazier version to fry the little bastards.

You may also want to look into making sure they can upgrade it down the road to be more powerful, make sure none of the little bastard children in your neighbourhood fuck with your lawn either :thumbsup:

;)

mowglee
02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Pet wolf?

adidas
02-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Throw a carrot on your neighbors lawn.

Cozmanator
02-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by adidas

x2 :rofl:

Altezza
02-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by adidas

ROFL!!

During the night, a motion sensor light seems to work quite well at keeping them away. However, during the daytime, they are back.

snoop101
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

+1

Best stew meat ever. I miss my grandma's rabbit stew. damn French cooking is so yummy.

Tomaz
02-22-2010, 10:47 AM

They are trespassing on your property. For the safety of your family, you had to use lethal force to keep the rabbits away.

I do like the idea of putting veggies into your neighbors lawn! lol

scat19
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/peta-rabbits-tm.jpg

Mar
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Put a fake owl on your roof at the front of your house, it should deter them from hanging around.

95EG6P
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by scat19
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/peta-rabbits-tm.jpg

Shoot them and make some soup ;)

nobb
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
lol at the veggies in neighbors lawn comment.

I like the fake owl idea though...it should be cheap to make and doesnt require spraying the lawn every so often with chemicals/scents. I'll try to see how well that works. A fake owl shouldnt be that hard to make, but I do wonder if rabbits are intelligent enough to realize if the owl is fake after a while...

Vince1
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Just a quick Google and I found this.

http://www.rabbitscram.com/

Might be easier than getting a license for a pet wolf, or trying to borrow coyotes from my area. Good luck!

InRich
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
can you actually kill the rabbits and eat em in calgary? no bylaws?

97'Scort
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
You have nothing compared to the rabbit problem here at UVic:

http://www.benjamincoe.com/blog/images/rabbits.JPG
http://www.rabbitadvocacy.com/images/UVic%20rabbits%204.jpg
http://www.myhouserabbit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/uvicbunnies.jpg

Literally in the thousands. Of course, we're also home to all the fucking liberal hippies in western Canada, so we're not allowed to kill the buggers. They try to neuter them instead (as you can see, fat lot of good that's doing).

As for your problem, if you have jackrabbits there won't be many of them as they're pretty territorial. You can live trap them if you want and re-locate. Alternatives are poisons and not-so-live traps.

D. Dub
02-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
^^:rofl: Im in Panorama Hills and its a real problem its almost like they breed like Rabbits or something....
Its a problem cause you really cant do anything about them I'd love to start pegging them off with a .22 or pellet gun and put them directly onto my BBQ but I think my 7 year old would move out, cause they are just so damn cute. Rats.

Shotgun -- less chance of missing the bouncy, little, disease carrying, rat lookin little vermin.

D. Dub
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Not jackrabbits

TurboMedic
02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Bonemeal works....spread it all over your lawn....can buy it in pails....

bignerd
02-23-2010, 03:03 AM
These are not jack rabbits and they are not domestic rabbits, they are hares, change to white in the winter, brown in summer. Wild.

Is you backyard fenced? I find rabbits are attracted to unfenced yards (even if you just have no gate) as well certain flowers and trees attract them (they eat the bark). I have a dog so I think that helps also repel them (his smell mostly).

D. Dub
02-23-2010, 08:40 AM
^^^^

Yes they are hares -- but the common vernacular is jackrabbit

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewardship/WildSpecies/Mammals/RabbitsRodents/WhitetailedJackRabbit.aspx

codetrap
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
It's funny about this. But I got to thinking that I haven't seen any rabbits here in Coventry in quite some time. Then yesterday morning I figured it out when I walked to the kitchen door to let my dog out, and looked at a coyote digging for berries in my back yard, with another one sniffing around my bbq.

Those suckers are big too! I have a lab/rot/shep cross, and they easily are as tall as she is. Not nearly as burly, but wow! There was at least 4 of them that I could see, and they were trying to bait my dog out of the yard. I'm REALLY happy she has an excellent recall, because she came back when I called.

D. Dub
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
^^^^

I hope they move over towards Panaroma - Hanson Ranch -- I hate all the freeking rat faced jackrabbits around here

bignerd
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
My bad, apparently they are mountain cottontails.... They are not jackrabbits(I never call them that anyhow)-anyone who has seen a jackrabbit would know, they are much much bigger and taller than the rabbits shitting on our lawns.

redevil
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Anyone have experience using bone meal to stop them? Damn rabbits are eating my new flowers that I just planted!

1andonly
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Glad there's a thread on this because I have a huge problem with rabbits too. I have a corner lot so it's not fully fenced and these little fuckers shit all over.

Has anyone tried Bonemeal or Coyote urine? Did anything work?

jav_
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
would dog statues work?

Aniki
04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
What about a Christmas or Halloween decoration w/ sound?

Or even better, one with motion detected noise(s)

Z_Fan
04-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I try to kill 'em every time I see them. Problem is, they're quicker and have much better handling than my Neon. :poosie:

BigMass
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Awww… how can anybody want to hurt such a cute and furry thing?

CapnCrunch
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Nigel Mansell
Buy a megaphone and command the rabbits to go away late at night. :rofl: