PDA

View Full Version : MKTG 317 Midterm

cashflow
02-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey guys, So its that time of the year for MKTG students.

For those who've already taken MKTG 317 could you guys please make some suggestions that might be helpful. There have been enough horror stories about this course. Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.

Thank you in advance!!!

:thumbsup:

PS- The midterm is scheduled for March 2, 2010 (Tuesday).

t_soarer
02-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Get comfortable with doing a full case in under one hour, study your notes a LOT and try to come up with real life examples that relate to the concepts, because that's exactly what you will be working with on the midterm. good luck

aklalani
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
read the textbook. the mc are straight from there and very very specific

cci123
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM

cressida_pimpin
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
So often when students do case analyses they write a statement in a SWOT or a paragraph that goes something like...."over the last ten years XYZ company has developed a strong core competence in manufacturing custom computers"

My professors would always respond to a statement like that by writing "SO WHAT?" on the exam paper.

My suggestion for you is that when you write out a statement also answer the "so what" of your statement.

Revised: "over the last ten years XYZ company has developed a strong core competence in manufacturing custom computers, and this has led to customer loyalty and high profitability"

Not the best example, but you get the idea.

Take your answers and anlaysis the extra step by doing this one simple technique, and your mark will reflect it.

ps. I'm an MBA student at Haskayne and case analyses are a big part of my program

cci123
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM

cashflow
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
hey guys, you guys are really the BEST!!! The replies were exactly what I was looking for.

The horror stories are that a lot of people fail the midterm. Do terrible on the cases and all.

Strength/Weakness point is at the back on my head now. I shall always remember it. I'll remember to thoroughly review the textbook. Any more suggestions .... are welcome!!

THANKS VERY MUCH!! :thumbsup:

:clap:

heinz256
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Obviously do the practice tests online (multiple choice). I believe the website can be found in your textbook. Last semester some of the multiple choice questions came directly from there. GL

GT4rally
02-28-2010, 04:14 AM
My advice is... kick Mark in the nuts! While that might not be too good for your grade, it would sure make me feel a lot better!

Mx6er
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone had the access code to the website to access multiple choice questions... I realized the code was torn from my book as I bought it used. Would be really appreciated. thx.

cashflow
03-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey guys,
Could anybody give me an example of an alternatives section with Market Penetration/Product development etc. I just finished everything but wanna make sure I get it right tomorrow. I don't want to loose marks just because I wrote less. So for instance if I take Trap-Ease .. a mouse trap that's humane and doesn't kill mouse instead traps it to be disposed later. My segmentation is Singirls(Single girls staying away from home).

Could anybody PLEASE do a good alternative and suggestion for that .... exactly like we're supposed to do it on an exam?? It'd be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks for all the help so far!!

:clap:

cci123
03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
http://tutor2u.net/business/images/Ansoff%20Matrix%20w500.gif

cashflow
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
First of all thanks a LOTTTT for replying man!!! and ... 8 hrs. now. lol

umm okay so assuming that they give us Singirls as the segment. This is how I would approach it.

Market Penetration: Continue selling Trap ease to Singirls with better emphasis on having better distrubution channels and promotional strategies. Am I on the right track??

I'll write Market Development in a bit but I wanna see what you have to say about this.

cci123
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM

cci123
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM

cashflow
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
lol. That's good to know. Better be told now than two weeks down the row. So let me do Market penetration again this time.

Market Penetration: Continue selling Trap Ease to Singirls but have an instruction sticker posted showing the procedure on how to use the equipment. As well modify(lower) the quality therefore reducing the price, attracting more customer. (This product is expensive when compared to others that's why I said that)

Pros: Having instruction would ease the use and make it convinient which would attract more customers.
Cons: Lowering the price may reduce the customer count because they may see it as a low quality product.

Am I getting somewhere?? Thanks for this man

:)

cci123
03-02-2010, 12:30 PM

cashflow
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
HOLY!! This is so helpful. Let me do product development. You're the best :thumbsup:

Product Development with Singals: Trap-ease should expand and offer reliable and economical Insect as well as gopher/rabbit repellents for lawns. Also sell the new products in packs of 2 reducing the price or have 2 different kinds of repellents packed together for a cheaper price. (Is this more diversification material? how should I really differentiate?)
Pros- It would cater to the needs of the current market and having packs of two would give the consumers an economical benefit.
Cons- Maybe the customers don't want a second repellent and having the second repellent would still make the price go up which would make them not buy the product. Repellents are slightly different from Traps, so may have to spend extra money creating them.

How is this??

cci123
03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

cci123
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM

cashflow
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes you're right. I see where I am heading. Packing two as one package at a discounted rate is probably good for Penetration section. So let me write Product Development one more time. I appreciate the time you're taking to explain.

So as far as I understand your case from last year midterm(eHarlequin):

Product development: Open a dating website where widow can find new match. Something like eharmony. Since it is a website .. they already have a grasp of it but with a completely different purpose. This is vague but I am just trying to focus on how you're suggestion of staying within the realistic limits of development.

And for diversification I can probably talk about having kidos (kids) and having comic books(or ... sorry .. lol .... some interactive yet educational games for kids) online or something. Please let me know if I am on the right track. Then I'll write out a proper alternative section for Trap-ease and if you don't mind marking me on that. Thank you.

cashflow
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
oops ..... I actually noticed another mistake. I can't really choose kids because for market Development I can't promote eHarlequin to kids. I can probably talk about Generation Y

Generation Y would be good for Diversification as well as Market Development.

cci123
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM

cci123
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM

cashflow
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH cciI23. You've been a GREAT HELP. So nice of all of you guys particularly cci123. If there is anyway I could help you .... I am sure its not going to be with marketing .... lol...... do let me know. Thanks A LOT!! :)

Mx6er
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Damn I thought that was tough as balls... what did you guys think?

the Multiple Choice defiantly had some random shit thrown in the mix, and the case study (magazine) was so hard to evaluate ....

cci123
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
My friend told me about that... The Zoomer case, right? Ya, that sounds pretty hard. Were you able to come up with 2 segments other than the baby boomers? That's what sounded hard to me.

Boat
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Yea the MC was bs.

I found it hard to make segments for a magazine that was catered towards old people LOL.

I ended up using couples aged 35-45, then 45-55, followed by 55-65 IIRC