PDA

View Full Version : SMART Technologies - Anybody work there?

vinc456
02-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I've applied for a position with SMART Technologies as a Software Developer (http://www.jobpath.com/Jobs/Smart-Technologies/Software-Developer/J8D8B16ZTBD6WK3SGZZ/?CSH=csh_smarttech&FBJ=True&DID=j8d8b16ztbd6wk3sgzz&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=b62fd18ebf9e4641b1515cdb1518ee32-320150398-wy-6). I have an interview scheduled for next Friday and am interested in what I can do to prepare and what it is like to work at SMART. I remember there was a thread on this 1+ year ago but it no longer exists.

So for example when I applied for Solium I did some ACM style pre-screening questions. Some companies just have behavioral interviews which are "what would you do in this situation". Over reading week I've been thinking in Lua, should I switch gears and attempt to pick up as much C++ as possible? (I'm a C programmer but they're offering a C++ position, go figure) Are they just checking if I have a pulse (fizzbuzz) or should I review all the fundamentals of Computer Science and be prepared for a 4-8 hour grind? Is all this meaningless and subject to the whims and preferences of each individual manager? The person that is arranging the interview is kind of mum and just ignores my questions. :P

Thanks.

Cos
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/200539/smart-technologies/

vinc456
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Cos
repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/200539/smart-technologies/

Thanks, I looked everywhere for this, found nothing and assumed that Beyond deleted posts older than a certain date. How did you find it?

I'm still interested in the interview process so it's not a complete repost. Also the company seems to be growing fast so things might have changed since 2007. Btw this is a junior level position writing SMART notebook software.

ercchry
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
did you change your search options to 3 months AND OLDER?

vinc456
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
did you change your search options to 3 months AND OLDER?

Maybe that was it. Either that or I just searched 'smart', got frustrated with thousands of hits and just gave up.

Wow, I can't believe I posted in that thread! Calgary is really too small!

vinc456
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Where have all the SMART people gone?

raceman6135
02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I work there, but not in software development, so I'm not sure what the interview process is like on that side of the building.

I'm in Marketing, and my interview process went like this:

First interview was with my (at the time) future boss and an HR (called People Services at SMART) rep.

Second interview was a fit interview and test. The fit interview was held by two of my (now) co-workers. The test portion was timed and consisted of creating a marketing presentation as well as a writing test.

My third interview was with my department's vice president.

At that point I was offered the position and negotiated my employment contract (start date, salary, bonus, vacation, etc.) with the People Services rep.

Hopefully someone on the software side can relate their experiences for you.

Grogador
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I know who will be interviewing you, that's about it :)

Davetronz
02-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
I know who will be interviewing you, that's about it :)

Grogador
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Dave! Get back to work!

vinc456
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
SMART Technologies held an information session this evening which I attended. Maybe it was the free food but I've never seen so many people sit in an information session! (and I've been to a lot)

As far as information sessions go this went fairly well. The presenter kept it brief and gave us plenty of time to meet with the employees. I had the opportunity to ask questions, learn a little bit more about SMART Notebook software, and even meet one of my interviewers who I will be seeing again next Friday. It seems like a great place to work so now I'm more excited than nervous. :D

Davetronz
02-27-2010, 12:03 AM
If I recall correctly, over 1000 people came to our last career fair/ information session this past summer. They're definitely quite a hit. I didn't know we just had another one. They've always been a popular event, even when I first applied to SMART back in 2005 or so.