PDA

View Full Version : UofC SU Elections

D'z Nutz
02-22-2010, 10:53 AM
It's that time of year when all those posters go up again (no, not the poster sales at MacHall). But really, does anyone give a fuck? Have these elections really amounted to anything useful? This isn't intended as a rant, but a legitimate question: have these elections actually resulted in any benefit to the students?

And out of curiosity, anyone know what percentage of the student population actually votes?

diamondedge
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Any benefit? Never noticed it.

I think last year was hovering around 20% of undergrad votes.

Since I know the person running for ENGG rep, I will vote for them.
(I know what they're capable of)

livinlarge89
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
One of the guys running for science rep last year brought in a ton of cupcakes that were homemade to the bio students association. Needless to say, he got my vote online. I skipped over ever other vote

Team_Mclaren
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
i voted for the rock that one year, and would probably vote for the rock again if i was still in school lol

FUCK SU!

2Valve0
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
None of these people do fuck all...its a resume filler for these losers
waste of time Imo

Team_Mclaren
02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
actually, i think they get paid to be on the SU......

flipstah
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
actually, i think they get paid to be on the SU......

They do. Reps get salaries and it's taken through our tuition. Now I'm unsure about the payment process but for sure, they paid to sit there.

Team_Mclaren
02-22-2010, 07:22 PM
im surprise no one has raise shit or start some shitty facebook group about it yet?!;) :rofl:

D'z Nutz
02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
I think last year was hovering around 20% of undergrad votes.

20%? Haha that's a lot more than I figured! I was thinking like 7-8%!

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
i voted for the rock that one year, and would probably vote for the rock again if i was still in school lol

FUCK SU!

haha seriously? That's hilarious. I never saw any posters for the rock

flipstah
02-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

haha seriously? That's hilarious. I never saw any posters for the rock

Uh, the Rock doesn't need posters. The rock got more votes than some human representatives! :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I think I voted for Optimus Prime last year. A++, would vote again. Didn't bother with any other votes.

nobb
02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Cant we opt out of those stupid SU fees? I honestly dont give a fuck, they are so damn useless. If more people petitioned to get rid of those damn mandatory SU fees maybe that would send a message about how useless SU is.

Only guy I would vote for is JZ (optimus prime). I know him...he's a pretty chill guy whose purpose for running for SU is to make a mockery of it lol.

turbotrip
02-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Uh, the Rock doesn't need posters. The rock got more votes than some human representatives! :rofl:

i thought the rock won a couple of years ago? but was looked past and they picked the runner up

msommers
02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Cant we opt out of those stupid SU fees?

Unfortunately no. I'd be all over it if it was. There was a discussion about this awhile ago, with respect to SU salaries...25k/yr rings a bell.

2Valve0
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
A beyond member should run for SU, the poster could just say

"vote for beyond CSI, we'll solve the schools problems"

Should I start running? With the backing of beyond we could make the SU epic hahahaha

dandia89
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
A beyond member should run for SU, the poster could just say

"vote for beyond CSI, we'll solve the schools problems"

Should I start running? With the backing of beyond we could make the SU epic hahahaha
id vote for you if you abolish the SU :love:

nobb
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Actually if your campaign was obvious that your intentions are to abolish the SU or to atleast give students the right to not be forced to support them (SU fees) then I think you could probably win the campaign even without Beyond support.

You'd get my vote :thumbsup:

dandia89
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
they had some of these reps at the engg lounge today while i was studying. its pathetic how incoherant and cliche these guys are. it's pretty upsetting that these people manage to get the majority votes and represent our university.

XylathaneGTR
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
they had some of these reps at the engg lounge today while i was studying. its pathetic how incoherant and cliche these guys are. it's pretty upsetting that these people manage to get the majority votes and represent our university.

I was studying there and shuffled over to the Mech when that moron with the fucking speakers in his backpack showed up.

However, I noticed that Vien's posters have dealt ENTIRELY with Tuition, something which will take affect before he even gets into office. I wasn't trying to be a dick (seriously...I wasn't) but I asked him what else was on his platform. In an effort not to look like a dick, I refrained from asking if he was just pandering for votes from people who were all upset about tuition hikes...which was my real question.)

He answered that he supports the improvement of student spaces (he mentioned improving the engg lounge...?) and the "Engg txtbook buy/sell" that the ESS has previously run. So... two things that aren't really in his jurisdiction as a faculty rep were the two undiscussed points in his platform, and one point that he can do nothing about is his big selling point. ...Rad.

Hopefully he said something better at poets...but i had mad assignments/labs to do and couldn't stick around.

That being said, Before this, Abe and who ever the hell that "SAFcalgary" girl is haven't pubically revealed squat about their platforms and another big selling point for the other girl (I have forgotten her first name...Dhillon was her last) was again...tuition increases.

I'm not trying to shit on anybody in specific or anything like that...but as usual...the election looks pretty fucking useless and as usual, I'll continue to boycott the SU.