PDA

View Full Version : Early 90's German cars

arian_ma
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, it's time for me to buy a new car and I was looking at a few German options. Specifically, an early 90's 500SL or E36 M3.

Now I would most likely be buying an imported car, and I know how we all feel about those, so I wanted to ask if there is anything I should look for specifically in those cars that tend to be problem areas. How are they for reliability and with winter tires would I be able to drive on MOST winter days? (I'm not talking about the -40 with 6" of ice days here, I mean a bit of snow and ice on the roads.) I drove my S2K most winter days without any issues so I wanted to know how these cars would compare.

Also, are there any Calgary based importers for such cars? All the ones I seem to find are somewhere out in BC and I would rather avoid the whole cross country drive and inspections and all that jazz.

Cheers guys.

scat19
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I drive my RWD german car all year round. Proper tires you're golden.

Why does everyone think OMFG RWD I can't do itttttttt.

Also, Rage2 has a whole lot of HP (read 2X) more than me for his RWD car... he can do it fine.

ercchry
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
i put summer tires on my rwd car 3 weeks ago... still works great :angel:

bituerbo
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Mercedes-Benz 190E 16v WIN.

arian_ma
02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Awesome, though I was more thinking about the fact that these cars are low, and the ice tends to build up especially around residential areas. But mostly not worried about the RWD as long as proper tires are used.

Anyways, any insight on issues with these cars/where I can locate one of these cars in Alberta?

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Parts are pricey for both the 500 and e36 m3. They also use older generation bosch electronics which can have their gremlins. Oil leaks are especially common on older performance euro cars and you'll want to make sure you can track down any available service history. There will also be ground clearance issues with the m3. Keep in mind these cars have are prior to advanced traction and stability controls. Good winter tires and sand bags in the back will almost certainly be required. Both great cars though if you find the right one. If you choose poorly it will be a money pit.

Neil4Speed
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
I love the R107s. edit. I mean R129's, I love R107's too though!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1991-Mercedes-Benz-500-Series-SL-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ184452612

Consider perhaps also a W140 Coupe S500?

This guy in Vancouver seems to have some nice JDM 500SL stock

http://tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/default.asp?Make=MercedesBenz&MakeID=38

One nice thing about the JDM 500SL 's is that typically they are tastefully modified with AMG components and have been painted to eliminate the two tone found on most NADM models. Other common modifications are the updated headlights/taillights/steering wheel.

G-ZUS
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Parts are pricey for both the 500 and e36 m3. They also use older generation bosch electronics which can have their gremlins. Oil leaks are especially common on older performance euro cars and you'll want to make sure you can track down any available service history. There will also be ground clearance issues with the m3. Keep in mind these cars have are prior to advanced traction and stability controls. Good winter tires and sand bags in the back will almost certainly be required. Both great cars though if you find the right one. If you choose poorly it will be a money pit.

I am also trying to locate a imported 300ce, most the guys who import only import jap cars not german

snoop101
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Lets see how good my knowledge is without using wikipedia. If im right the E36 M3 in 1996 and on came with traction control and double vanos (I think double vanos is 93+) and also the OBD2. The 96 model year is when they changed a lot of stuff over. So another words if your going to buy a M3 get a 96-97.