PDA

View Full Version : Good wrecker in Calgary for engines? Western Auto? Affordable Auto?

Big Tom
02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Looking for some feedback on wreckers in and around Calgary. I have a 2500HD and I blew out the motor and currently I'm out in Saskatchewan doing some work, the prices at wreckers here are a little nuts for even high KM engines so it's way cheaper to get an engine shipped from Calgary then dick around with the locals.

But my concerns are who is a quality wrecker for an engine and isn't going to try and screw me? I mean I'm somewhat taking their word when they say the engine has 80K on it and ran perfect when they pulled it, it could have 300+ K on it and I'd never really know so I'm always a little leery of that.

So if anyone can give me some feedback or thumbs up/personal experience with some wreckers out there let me know it'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Alak
02-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Gas or Diesel?

spacerz
02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
if it is a DEISEL you may have better luck buying a salvage/rollover truck, at least you know that the vehicle was not being driven because of the accident, not any motor problems + you are able to see the kms and the engine in the truck and sometimes be able to drive it around the lot. However if it is a gas engine, you may have better luck at a wrecker like western auto and truck!

Alak
02-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I was going to say depending on the year, if hes got a gas truck he might be able to get a good deal on a shortblock from GM.

corsvette
02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I know all the boys at Empire truck parts very well,could get you a good deal on a low km 6.0 gas,(assuming thats what you have) or a Duramax Diesel.

Bizzareo
02-28-2010, 11:33 PM
What engine is in it? Vortec? Ebay can have some pretty cheap motors!

Big Tom
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
'02 6L Vortec

I've tried a couple wreckers and they all seem to have decent prices but what triggered my questioning is I was checking out car-part.com and found a bunch in Calgary but none listed the price just basically call for details. So I called a few of the wreckers and the one had a really good deal on a motor 90K'ish for $1K+shipping no core or anything needed, I had to do some paperwork to get a quote for shipping and when I called back he said the engine had 86K but still only $1K, I didn't get the chance to order it so it's been another couple days and I called back and the guy I was dealing with wasn't there so talked with someone else and asked what they had for motors and he said all they had was one with about 160K and they wanted $1600 then they'd give back $300 with the old core... ...

so why the price change? Why did the KMs change? And what happened to the other engines the other guy told me about cause he said he had quite a few low KM ones and were just trying to blow them out where as the other guy said just had the one...

Seems fishy... I mean maybe they did sell a pile of 6L vortecs in the last couple days but I'm not sure they're that hot of an item

corsvette
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The Vortec engines do not blow up often,so wreckers do not sell many at all.I will look at Empie for one tomorrow.

Big Tom
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
The Vortec engines do not blow up often,so wreckers do not sell many at all.I will look at Empie for one tomorrow.

Well mine made it to 315K before a piston decided to spread it's wings and fly out the side of the block... so if you find anything that looks promising let me know

Thanks

Bizzareo
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
my dad does hot rodding with those engines (500hp @12psi ftw). They are super cheap on ebay.

kdwebber
03-01-2010, 06:53 PM
x2 for empire. Those guys are trustworthy. Just don't be afraid to bargain with them about the price and the core deposit

asifka
03-27-2010, 02:06 AM
I dealt with affordable auto 4-5 times. There junk yard is possibly the cleanest in Calgary. Last time, i went to get a brake master cylinder. They had it all cleaned up and even put stoppers in every hole(so dust don't go inside, i assume).
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
03-27-2010, 03:15 AM
www.car-part.com since you want to ship anyways.

miab
07-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Big Tom
Please email me at [email protected] to answer to another classified you had up.