PDA

View Full Version : Check if your paying insurance for windshield replacement

whiskas
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Was setting up my insurance renewal today. In most cases it doesn't make sense to have windshield replacement covered in Calgary.

If I were to go to a glass shop to get my windshield changed out of my own pocket it would cost me roughly $250.

However if I had my windshield insured:

With a $250 deductible I'm paying around $100 premium per year for windshield replacement insurance. I'm throwing $100 away.

With a $0 deductible I'm paying around $400 premium per year for windshield replacement insurance. I'm throwing $150 away.

Of course there are special cases, like if you windshield has an antenna built into it or rain sensors, or you live in the NE and frequently have your car machine gunned in drive-bys, then it might be worth it to pay for insurance.

But otherwise it's a waste of money and you're better off paying it yourself.

Masked Bandit
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM
The large majority of vehicles in Calgary do not carry windshield coverage. On my personal book of business the total would be less than 1%.

Did you have coverage on yours that you didn't know about?

whiskas
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Did you have coverage on yours that you didn't know about?

I almost did, if I didn't ask about it I would've ended up paying for it.

narou
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't have windshield replacment but if it is that much orgaps I should consider it. That or just drive this thing off a cliff and leave it thee ;\!

Masked Bandit
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

I almost did, if I didn't ask about it I would've ended up paying for it.

Who the hell are you insured with that they tried to slide that in?