PDA

View Full Version : Ploughboy's last day: Feb 24

D'z Nutz
02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
I guess the SU is good for one thing: chasing Ploughboys off of campus :rolleyes:

msommers
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
The end of Ploughboys is fucking horseshit, but I'm not entirely sure it has anything to do with the SU (even if they fucking did anything). Their lease was up and the university is basically kicking them out. I talked to Tracey about it one day and I could tell how disappointed they all are in the university's decision. She seemed to hint that university is trying to out private businesses and let the big company that owns quite a few places in Mac Hall take over. I signed a letter and a petition but I don't think anything will come of it. The only place on campus with really good coffee and food, quality service every time is gone. Lots of talk about it lately and not one person is happy about it. I just learned this morning you could get a couple eggs made up for 50 cents! More than likely a fucking Tim Horton's will go in there :banghead:

I emailed the SU president and guy representing Fiance and Operations in hopes to get a real answer about their closing. I'll post that up later....If I even get a response.

flipstah
02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
If the rumors are true with Timmy's going in there, the departure of Ploughboys is UofC's example of squeezing out local business to form monopolies.

Whatever happened to competition? Disgusting.

Celebrate tomorrow as it is Ploughboys last day and Men's Hockey will advance to medal standing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

msommers
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow, a response already. Lucky timing:dunno:

Hi Matt,
Will do some digging around for you. It is the university's right to deny me any info on a contract of this nature, but I may be able to informally find out some info for you. Will get back to you early next week or as soon as I get a response from the Uni's food services people. You say they have a letter posted on the store? Fascinating...I will have to go check that out. Get back to you as soon as I can,

Charlotte

----

Hello Charlotte,

As I'm sure you are well aware, today was Ploughboy's last day of
operations. The latest letter posted at their store mentioned that it was
not in the University's best interest to renew their lease. Ploughboy's,
being a privately owned store, and now mysteriously closing subtly
suggests this has more to do with University management and the large
company taking over Mac Hall than the student body's interests.

As a Geology major, I am frequently in ICT to grab a coffee and breakfast
before class. Word has quickly spread around the entire Earth Science
area, Gallagher, etc and not one single person is happy about it or knows
exactly why they are closing, other than a vague 'you're lease is up and
we're not interested in keeping you.'

Charlotte, you are representing the students and I have to ask you to at
least provide a REAL answer as to why they closed; not in the university's
best interest is as vague as it gets. Was there a conflict between
Ploughboy's and the university on a personal level, missed payments,
extreme negative feedback regarding Ploughboy's (highly unlikely)?

Petitions and letters have been signed in hopes that Ploughboy's can be
saved, however we all feel that any efforts put forth are in vain.
Students are not happy, confused and quite frankly disappointed with the
university's decision to close them down.

If you already know what is happening, I would love to hear about it and
pass along the message. Otherwise, please investigate this further.

Regards,

-Matthew Sommers

D'z Nutz
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that. People in our department signed a petition as well, but I'm doubtful it'll result in anything. Staff aren't happy either.

Van Persie
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Who cares, coffee tastes the same anywhere...

msommers
02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Van Persie
Who cares, coffee tastes the same anywhere...

A) Not even fucking close

B) It's about principle and not just bending over because the UofC does whatever it feels like.

flipstah
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks, msommers! Let us know what's the outcome.

Meanwhile, support them while you still can!

kenny
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Without knowing any of the details behind the scenes you cannot fault the University. Who cares if its a small business? It is in the University's best interest to get as much money as possible from vendors not protect local businesses.

I imagine their low prices ultimately led to their demise as the Univeristy was probably collecting a cut of their revenues.

At the end of the day, if they get more revenue its in the best interests of all students.

euphoria
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Am I the only the one that would enjoy a new fast food chain restaurant? A McDonald's would be nice :D

msommers
I got an email from:

Voula Cocolakis
Associate Vice Provost
Residence and Ancillary Services

She asked me to call her tomorrow and will be happy to go over all the details.

Kenny unfortunately you are right. However, isn't student satisfaction worth something? The university gets a hell of a lot more money from tuition increases than one store, and where have the improvements from that gone? Closing a store that students genuinely care about. Talk about a slap in the face.

However, I feel their demise is decided already. I sure as hell won't be buying anything from the store that replaces it. Quite honestly, I hope it busts from the get-go and it costs the university money.

D'z Nutz
They charged me $6.25 for a fucking small frozen yogurt. I can assure their prices aren't low :rofl:

Bizzareo
02-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Ploughboy is disgusting I never see any line ups there, hell they got shut down for a week recently.

I hope to see something more original and fairly priced replace it.

If we are lucky a booster juice will move in! Take that obscenely priced jugo juice!

kenny
02-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
They charged me $6.25 for a fucking small frozen yogurt. I can assure their prices aren't low :rofl:

Oh, I don't goto the U of C, I just based that on the $0.50 eggs breakfast lol

sneek
02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
Ploughboy is disgusting I never see any line ups there, hell they got shut down for a week recently.

I hope to see something more original and fairly priced replace it.

If we are lucky a booster juice will move in! Take that obscenely priced jugo juice!

:P That is what brews and blends is for. I actually like it quite a bit more than Jugo. The only thing that sucks is that the line up is usually kind of long between classes, but that is pretty much anything on campus.

Berry Burst FTW

gqmw
02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
what the heck is ploughboy's?

turbotrip
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
what the heck is ploughboy's?

:werd: is that the food place in science theaters?

flipstah
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by sneek

:P That is what brews and blends is for. I actually like it quite a bit more than Jugo. The only thing that sucks is that the line up is usually kind of long between classes, but that is pretty much anything on campus.

Berry Burst FTW

Brews & Blends makes a great breakfast smoothie. Way cheaper than Jugo and so much more filling... :drool:

heinz256
02-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Ploughboy is the food place in ICT

2Valve0
02-23-2010, 10:00 PM
This place isn't even that good. Cinamon buns are great though.
I hate UofC so I'll say DAMN UNIVERSITY SCREWING KIDS OVER BLAH BLAH BLAH(I just hate tuition increases and horrible professors and an all around dumbass mentality with alot of things they do)

A beyond member should run for SU, the poster could just say

"vote for beyond CSI, we'll solve the schools problems"

Should I start running? With the backing of bey

Bizzareo
02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sneek

Berry Burst FTW

I only get sandwiches from brews and blends. I can't eat yogurt... But brews and blends has some cuties working there :poosie:

a social dsease
02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Dude just hit up Allegro's, its only 1 building over, in Engineering. They make the tastiest breakfasts ever! :drool:

diamondedge
02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Two words that I'll miss from Ploughboy's

Lusty. Brisket.

However, I can still get coffee from Good Earth, and get snacks from Famirly Mart...prawn crackers FTW!!!

tobslau
02-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Haven't been to ploughboy for awhile,
Back in the day in first year, all i ever got was their cinnamon buns :drool:

sneek
02-24-2010, 12:50 AM

I only get sandwiches from brews and blends. I can't eat yogurt... But brews and blends has some cuties working there :poosie:

I am sure that there are some non-yogurt options there isn't there? yes...yes in terms of the average appearance of employees Brews and Blends ranks above average.

jsn
02-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Hey Matt, it's nice to see someone trying to do something about it. It's too bad they're going. It was a good place to grab a coffee when good earth was too busy. Last thing I want to see is another timmies at the U of C:thumbsdow

toastgremlin
02-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I didn't realize Ploughboy was closing down. That's a real shame - I hope they find somewhere else to continue. I must have given them tons of business in ICT over the years, along with the sushi place (which apparently closed down in fall '09).

I'm also going to join the others in assuming it's Chartwells' fault. Even the chain fast food places under Chartwells are inconsistent and terrible.

kenny
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Getting some media coverage:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/02/24/calgary-university-ploughboy-diner.html

DRKM
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I used to go there everynight at 2am to get coffee and food. Gary the owner is the old man who is missing a finger. He is a great guy. I will miss the pressure brew coffee and egg sandwichs. :[

jwslam
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by euphoria
Am I the only the one that would enjoy a new fast food chain restaurant? A McDonald's would be nice :D

Yea... like no chance of that. McDicks is coke products and I'm sure they won't bend over to that Chartwell's shit.

flipstah
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I enjoyed my last cup at Ploughboy's and it was bittersweet.

I asked the employees if they knew why and it seems like it was 'the best interest' reasoning and that the Timmy's was a 'nasty rumor'

:dunno:

ga16i
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I watched that place open almost 10 years ago when the ICT building was built. Ploughboy's will be missed. :cry:

msommers
02-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I spoke with Voula this afternoon and she was pretty well upfront about everything.

Gary actually did not express any interest in renewing the lease and was looking to retire. He also missed a couple months rent at the end of the year, but did pay the rest of his lease rent in Jan.

A manager expressed interest in taking it over. The UC asked for a business plan to be put together, because of new management and the missed rent in previous months. A plan was presented and the UC deemed the plan was not feasible and did not look like longevity was possible.

She said quite a few times that's all it came down to, they didn't want them to leave.

I forgot to ask what they decided to get to fill the space.

badatusrnames
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Yea... like no chance of that. McDicks is coke products and I'm sure they won't bend over to that Chartwell's shit.

A&W uses coke...

jwslam
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

A&W uses coke...
Note how their sign says "Cola" and "Lemon Lime Soda"

Achmat
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM

i dated one of them not long ago :)

Zero102
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I enjoyed my last cup at Ploughboy's and it was bittersweet.

I asked the employees if they knew why and it seems like it was 'the best interest' reasoning and that the Timmy's was a 'nasty rumor'

:dunno:

They were still open today, so if you want it doesn't have to have been your last cup ;)

dirtsniffer
02-25-2010, 05:25 PM
i dont want anything big to move into ict, i already see enough arts students studying at the tables in ict and i dont want those numbers to increase. RIP ploughboys

jsn
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
^^ My thoughts exactly. There's already few tables in ICT as it is. The Pita place already draws in more people than before. I miss that sushi place they used to have there before. I don't remember it ever being to hard to find a table in ICT until that pita place opened up.

89s1
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I work at the eeel building across the street from that building and I noticed the place was still up and running yesterday...

didn't get in to have a peek today but it appears that the 24th wasn't their last day. :dunno:

Wrinkly
02-26-2010, 07:26 PM
It was on Global breakfast news today!

msommers
02-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Here is a response I got from the Finance and Operations rep from the SU:

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your e-mail. we have heard a lot about this in the last few days. The Students' Union has not received any more information than the rest of the student body on this issue. we have heard the same story, that the current owner is retiring and the proposal to renew the lease was "not acceptable". All that being said Im am sure that you could find a connection between the university's relationship with Chartwell's and this decision. This is not an issue that the SU has any power over at the university level. We have contacted Ploughboy and invited them to submit an application for one of the four new vendor spaces that will be created in Mac Hall, but as of this point we have not received any reply or request. Please let me know if you have any further questions, -Joey Brocke

chkolny541
02-27-2010, 03:00 AM
yea today was also open:dunno:

nonlinear
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
people in our department are very upset about this, too.

for those of you saying their food sucks, etc., keep in mind that people have different tastes, and that's why options are good. the space is undoubtedly going to be filled by a chartwells operation selling the same exact crappy coffee, bagels, sushi and sandwiches that they have at all of the other outlets on campus (education, science theatres, etc.). or perhaps they will put in a tim horton's or pizza 73, as someone mentioned previously. either way, homogeneity sucks. diversity rules.

i think what this comes down to, though, is that the university reaps higher profits per square foot from chartwells than ploughboy. ploughboy was unwilling to pay the rent, so they're unfortunately out. it's too bad that U of C doesn't have a student ghetto like 99% of universities in the rest of north america do. that way, ploughboy could rent an off campus space within walking distance and open shop. until west campus is finished in 50 years, there is no such space at the U of C.

also - there is a facebook page for those who are interested in joining.

nonlinear
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
should also point out that Ploughboy's gave back A LOT to the community. The owner hired young single mothers, had a free christmas dinner every year for people without families, etc. chartwells is a greedy corporation only interested in making profit - you won't see them doing this. in fact, when they took over, they de-unionized the university food service workers, fired about 30% of them, and closed several former food outlets including those in science theaters and science B. shame on you, chartwells.

jwslam
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
yea today was also open:dunno:
uh... they were taking down the sign yesterday... one letter at a time :(
So i don't know how they could have been open...