PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice RE: Sold Used Truck

endo
02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
So I have a dilemma. I had a 2001 Dodge Dakota for sale. I drove it daily for 30,000kms until the end of May 2009 when I bought a new truck (just couldn't pass up a deal on the truck I wanted really bad). In Mar.2009, the water pump failed and the truck overheated--I replaced the water pump and upper radiator hose as they are common failures on this truck. I then drove the truck for about 2000km, one month of use, didn't have a single problem.

Now, I had it listed at $3500. Guy shows up tonight, looks at it for over an hour, test drives it, idles it forever, checks EVERYTHING he can think of and lowballs me...I'm in a decent mood and need the cash so I take it...HALF of my asking price, more than fair IMO.

He calls me 2.5 hours later and says it's leaking coolant and he's stranded. Should I just tell him he's S.O.L.? I'm not a mean guy but c'mon, it's a used truck and I have no idea what he's done in the last 2.5 hrs...plus if it's not insured or registered, it shouldn't have been on the road for 2.5hrs (he's local). Does he have any legal recourse against me if I tell him that he's out of luck? The Government of AB Ministry of Transport site says:

"Be a Wise Consumer
Unless otherwise stated, used vehicles are sold "as is". This means any flaws or defects with the vehicle after the sale are the responsibility of the buyer. Do not let yourself be blinded by the reputation of a particular make or model. Even a well-made vehicle can deteriorate if it is not maintained properly."

I didn't knowingly list something with faults at all, I was (and still am) being completely honest about everything that the truck has gone through in my ownership.

What should I do?????

SJW
02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Tell him to go EFF HIS HAT.

dj_rice
02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
You sold a used car as is, its a buyer beware market out there, he could of gotten it inspected before purchase to make sure everything was good, so his loss but if you want to be nice you can offer some sort of compensation but its all up to you. Your in the right either way. Who knows whats hes done for 2.5 hours, he could of been bagging it. Its like banging a hooker then you find out she has AIDS. You could of gotten her tested before you fucked her.

sr20s14zenki
02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I second that, who knows what the hell he did to it, if hes cheap enough to offer half, hes cheap enough to make shit up so you give him money back.

bulaian
02-23-2010, 10:43 PM
If what everything you said in your post is true... and you sold it to him for $1750, then i'd say it's his problem.

I'd feel bad for him and maybe give him some money back IF you got your asking price, or something pretty close to it.

G-ZUS
02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
He got a good deal on a truck, he probably bagged the shit out of it. Tell him to go pound sand, sold as is where is.

JustinGTP
02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
He can use the amount of money he saved on it for the repairs.

Did you write As Is on the bill of sale? That's what I did when I sold my cars.

Weapon_R
02-23-2010, 11:11 PM
You don't need to worry. Private sales are almost always as is unless he can prove that you actually worked to conceal a defect, which is very difficult to prove.

Shlade
02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Your fine, Ive had that happen to me... 3 months after the car was sold the guy wanting his money back, I sent him straight to hell

Pollywog
02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by endo
2001 Dodge Dakota for sale...I had it listed at $3500...Guy shows up tonight, looks at it for over an hour, test drives it, idles it forever, checks EVERYTHING he can think of and lowballs me...HALF of my asking price...

He calls me 2.5 hours later and says it's leaking coolant and he's stranded. Should I just tell him he's S.O.L.?

I'd tell him more than he's shit out of luck, what a retarded cunt. I wouldn't even feel comfortable talking to the seller if I just managed to screw him out of half of his asking price.

Jeremiah
02-24-2010, 01:13 AM
If he wasn't so cheap he would have got it properly inspected, so too bad so sad "Buyer Beware" and sold As Is

Crymson
02-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd probably offer to buy it back from him provided he got it repaired.

Kloubek
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
First of all, if you REALLY sold the truck for HALF price, then I would not *WHATSOEVER* feel bad about what happened. Whatever you do, do NOT offer to compensate him for any repairs; he had the opportunity to look over the truck himself. He could have had it inspected, which he waived. You owe him nothing.

Now, if he is actually STRANDED somewhere, and can't be picked up by anyone, then I would help him out to get him where he needs to go. But that's it. It's just a courtesy, and not your responsibility.

He has no legal recourse. Don't let him draw you into that battle, and if he tries, tell him to fuck off.

If, by chance, you DO take the truck back - pm me and I'll give you 2g for it. :)

scat19
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
No need to really say anything, everyone ^^ got it right.

You're not a business and you don't have a return policy.

endo
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Yep, all of the above is true...let him have it for $1800. Not sure if I regret it right now or not. Apparently it's being towed to a shop called AutoLeader in the south end of the city for them to look at.

He called me this morning and here's the convo-
him: "where do you want your truck towed to"
me:"it's your truck, take it where you want. If you want a shop to look at it fine, but I'm not paying for anything".
him: "would you go half on the repair"
me: "I already gave you half off the truck's price, if I pay for a repair, I'm basically giving you the truck for free, no thanks"

I'm a nice guy deep down but really don't wanna get screwed on this. I called AutoLeader and they've agreed to call me with the diagnosis when they have one.

Crymson
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
If you lead him on, or even entertain his fantasies that you're somehow still invovled with this, he's going to take advantage of you. That's what cheap assholes like that do, and unfortuatenly, the world is full to the brim with them these days.

bulaian
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
if you pay him ANYTHING back on it, you're screwing yourself. $1800 on that truck is already cheap as hell. It's his own fault that he did not want to get it inspected before buying it.

SOAB
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
fuck that noise Josh. why are you even getting involved? let Autoleader deal with the owner, which is the guy who bought the truck.

you should just wash your hands clean of it.

Pollywog
02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Yep, all of the above is true...let him have it for $1800. Not sure if I regret it right now or not. Apparently it's being towed to a shop called AutoLeader in the south end of the city for them to look at.

He called me this morning and here's the convo-
him: "where do you want your truck towed to"
me:"it's your truck, take it where you want. If you want a shop to look at it fine, but I'm not paying for anything".
him: "would you go half on the repair"
me: "I already gave you half off the truck's price, if I pay for a repair, I'm basically giving you the truck for free, no thanks"

I'm a nice guy deep down but really don't wanna get screwed on this. I called AutoLeader and they've agreed to call me with the diagnosis when they have one.

Whats this guys phone number? Maybe someone should talk some business sense into him. Does this guy fit any common stereotypes for being a cheap bastard?

If I was in your situation and he called me the next morning to say "where do you want your truck towed to", I'd reply "Get fucked. **click"

Zero102
02-24-2010, 10:48 AM
You are right, it isn't fair. Here is how you can rectify the situation. Tell him that $3500 was a fair price, now he can take it to a shop and have it fixed, and to take that amount out of $3500, and once it is repaired he can have the truck for $3500 less the repair, likely around $2300-$2800, so once it is fixed he can come back to your place and pay you the remaining $600-$1000 and then everything will be fair. In fact, you should even let him drive the truck from the shop to your place to pay the difference, you wouldn't want to leave the guy stranded.

I am just trying to help you sleep at night, wouldn't want you thinking you could have done more to help rectify this unfair situation.
:D

carson blocks
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
When I sell a vehicle, especially a cheap vehicle I always explain that it's a used car and that I don't want to hear about it after the deal is done. I tell them what I know about the car, encourage them to look it over, get it inspected, whatever they want to do, but make it clear that it's sold AS-IS.

Josh, Especially with the price you sold the truck for, i'd tell the buyer to get bent. Tell him that the amount he talked you down will more than cover the repair, and that he should lose your number.

ricosuave
02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
No kidding. Stop answering this guys calls.

KuruptEX
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I just sold my 240sx (sr20s14zenki knows this car), the buyer drove it loved the engine saw the rust on the quarter panel. came from moose jaw i told him my rockers were done, gone. but still went through with the sale,(without checking the vin nor mechanical inspection). calls me an hour later asking for a refund. i didn't reply back. why? because its not my vehicle any more. You should do the same.

G-ZUS
02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
My uncle sold a van to some guy once, he was the original owner and always got it maintained on time. He drove that car to Ottawa and back with no problem, never had any problems with it. He sold it to some oriental guy and bought a brand new van. 6 month's later the guy blew the engine and started calling my uncle threatening to sue him. My uncle told him to fuck off and call him back when he's ready to serve him. Never heard back from him.

endo
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I just got a voicemail from him--it's repaired.

Apparently the part I JUST replaced was bad (upper rad hose, brand new) and the thermostat. $200 repair all in. He wants me to split it. I'll be calling him and saying something to the effect of "had I got my asking price or close to it, fine, but you still got the truck for $2000 all in, leave me alone".

Thanks for the support guys :) I'm way WAY too nice sometimes.

FraserB
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
I just got a voicemail from him--it's repaired.

Apparently the part I JUST replaced was bad (upper rad hose, brand new) and the thermostat. $200 repair all in. He wants me to split it. I'll be calling him and saying something to the effect of "had I got my asking price or close to it, fine, but you still got the truck for $2000 all in, leave me alone".

Thanks for the support guys :) I'm way WAY too nice sometimes.

If he had that done for $200 allin then he got a sick deal, that or it never had an issue. Fuck him.

SJW
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Endo you have any bikes for sale for half price?

Cody D
02-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Endo you need to stop replying to this guys, stop answering his calls, just cut all ties. In my experience the cheaper the vehicle the bigger the pain in the ass selling it is.

Originally posted by Shlade
Your fine, Ive had that happen to me... 3 months after the car was sold the guy wanting his money back, I sent him straight to hell

You killed him? :devil: