PDA

View Full Version : Average Salary for a New grad

PepsiCola
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
hi,

Just wondering what the average salary for a new graduate is in the oil and gas industry that has less than 1 yr accounting work experience but is preparing to write a CMA national entrance exam.,:poosie:

Thanks

2Valve0
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
your an accountant and want to work in oil and gas? did you specialize in this at school?

Hamann
02-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Less then your hoping for/expecting

Cos
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Hamann
Less then your hoping for/expecting

Hey, that was my problem too. :(

OP, I think in this day and age your going to get paid what the company is willing to pay you. I know it is a bullshit answer but I dont think that there is room for negotiation in this day and age.

A790
02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
$55k seems average.

Irae
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
probably 45-50k

Unknown303
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
probably 40k-45k

The_Rural_Juror
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by A790
$55k seems average.

Originally posted by Irae
probably 45-50k

Originally posted by Unknown303
probably 40k-45k

bank on 35k-40k

Speed_69
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
bank on 35k-40k
:werd:

Chandler_Racing
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
your an accountant and want to work in oil and gas? did you specialize in this at school?

How do you specialize in oil & gas in school.... :dunno:

As to the OP's question, I wouldn't expect more than $45,000.

Cos
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

How do you specialize in oil & gas in school.... :dunno:

As to the OP's question, I wouldn't expect more than $45,000.

They have an oil and gas specific program from what I understand.

cookiemunster
02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
first question would be are you a recently grad of an university or a tech school like SAIT...

not sure if this helps but a friend of mine recently graduated from u of c with an accounting degree.. he didnt like the auditing work so he switched to an oil/gas company to be a production accountant... starting salary for a PA is roughly 50K

Xtrema
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
In the field of accounting, pay is actually pretty low if you don't have a degree.

Pay is moderate if you work for/starting out with the big 4.

Pay is better in oil and gas but it's not like there's a lot of PA work out there for noobs. There is hardly enough for pros.

A lot of finance/accounting function has bee offshored. Especially AP work.

The only safe finance type jobs would be tax and AR, both are pretty tough grunt work.

CMA/CGA aint' worth much especially without experience. CA is what your really want it you aim for big $.

syeve
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

CMA/CGA aint' worth much especially without experience. CA is what your really want it you aim for big $.

I have two close CA friends, or shall I say, use to be friends with. They work 70+ hours a week, like I'm talkin AT work by 5 and home by 7-8 that night and he makes (I know for a fact) <80k working for a big 4. He isn't a chump either, super smart...they just don't make as much as you think, especially for the hours they work. He litterally doesn't have a life.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by syeve

I have two close CA friends, or shall I say, use to be friends with. They work 70+ hours a week, like I'm talkin AT work by 5 and home by 7-8 that night and he makes (I know for a fact) &lt;80k working for a big 4. He isn't a chump either, super smart...they just don't make as much as you think, especially for the hours they work. He litterally doesn't have a life.

The accountants at my company are similar, work crazy hours and that floor is just dead - everyone seems to be hating life.

Xtrema
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM

I have two close CA friends, or shall I say, use to be friends with. They work 70+ hours a week, like I'm talkin AT work by 5 and home by 7-8 that night and he makes (I know for a fact) &lt;80k working for a big 4. He isn't a chump either, super smart...they just don't make as much as you think, especially for the hours they work. He litterally doesn't have a life.

Big 4 are the cheapest employers in town. People only starts out @ Big 4 to get the exposure and training budget to get their CA. Once they got their CA, they usually start looking for greener pasture.

Everyone @ Big 4 are underpaid for what they do and how many hours they put in. My sister cut her teeth @ EY, she quit almost immediately after her CA and got a 60% increase in salary @ a multi-national firm. Then anther 30% to a Tier 1 national firm. That's basically double wage after just 3 year leaving EY behind. Sure all that was happening during the boom years but it shows how bad the big 4 employees are underpaid.

But yes, life still sucks as in lots of extra hours needed but at least she is now properly compensated.

euphoria
02-24-2010, 05:24 PM
http://haskayne.ucalgary.ca/haskaynecareers/files/haskaynecareers/2009%20BComm%20Survey%20Summary%20Report.pdf

syeve
02-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Big 4 are the cheapest employers in town. People only starts out @ Big 4 to get the exposure and training budget to get their CA. Once they got their CA, they usually start looking for greener pasture.

Everyone @ Big 4 are underpaid for what they do and how many hours they put in. My sister cut her teeth @ EY, she quit almost immediately after her CA and got a 60% increase in salary @ a multi-national firm. Then anther 30% to a Tier 1 national firm. That's basically double wage after just 3 year leaving EY behind. Sure all that was happening during the boom years but it shows how bad the big 4 employees are underpaid.

But yes, life still sucks as in lots of extra hours needed but at least she is now properly compensated.

Nice, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am meeting up with him this weekend, gonna instigate a chat :D as he has been there for two years WITH his CA.

Xtrema
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Nice, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am meeting up with him this weekend, gonna instigate a chat :D as he has been there for two years WITH his CA.

For his defense tho, I assume he got his CA in 08, the beginning of financial collapse. I doubt there are many options for him to move around. Especially now all the juniors are gone and many top tier employers are merging or downsizing.

My sis seem to got out at the right time, right before the boom.

austic
02-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I started in JAn 09 with about the same credentials at $60K The good jobs are out there but its more who you know, not what you know.

msommers
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
In the field of accounting, pay is actually pretty low if you don't have a degree.

Pay is moderate if you work for/starting out with the big 4.

Pay is better in oil and gas but it's not like there's a lot of PA work out there for noobs. There is hardly enough for pros.

A lot of finance/accounting function has bee offshored. Especially AP work.

The only safe finance type jobs would be tax and AR, both are pretty tough grunt work.

She may be the outlier here, but my Mother is doing extremely well for herself working downtown and she only has a CMA.

chancepedance
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

bank on 35k-40k

I dont think any oil and gas company pays this low... i think this is wrong... plus where did you get that figure... did you make it up on the spot... hehehe?

chancepedance
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by msommers

She may be the outlier here, but my Mother is doing extremely well for herself working downtown and she only has a CMA.

CMA is being viewed quit highly in this day n age... i think people that get their CMA designation rise up the ranks quit fast and do very well in life professionally... your moms probably not an outlier... :)

:thumbsup:

Schwa
03-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by chancepedance

I dont think any oil and gas company pays this low... i think this is wrong... plus where did you get that figure... did you make it up on the spot... hehehe?

If you can't see where he got this figure bank on 30k - 35k

chancepedance
03-06-2010, 12:00 AM
:werd: