PDA

View Full Version : Meat cutter/butcher

brownchild
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Anyone here a meat cutter/butcher? If so, whats the average pay rate in a retail environment?

Ven
02-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Sobeys in the NW paid $25 an hour for an experienced butcher. That was about 5 years ago.

brownchild
02-25-2010, 01:05 AM
On the sait website it states that they make about $44000 a year. All im tryin to figure out is, is this about how much they make straight out of the program or you got to wait a couple years to make it. And if anyones wondering why I would want to do this is, because Im an avid hunter, and a fanatic about wild and organic meats. I would do this for a couple years to save up some money and start my own business here or somewhere else. If someone works or knows another person in this industry and how it pays, it would help out with my decision a lot, as I cannot find anything specific on google or yahoo, unlike the other programs offered. Thanks.

Ven
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
New immigrant production meat cutters make about $40k a year at packing plants with zero credentials. A professional accredited butcher will make significantly more, especially so if you proficient with animal anatomy outside the typical beef market. It's a good solid profession that almost nobody thinks about for a career, and that's a huge advantage for you.

Graham_A_M
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Sobeys in the NW paid $25 an hour for an experienced butcher. That was about 5 years ago.
Interesting, I know a guy that was doing that at about the same time, and he was getting $11/hr, only he was at Superstore.

Ven
02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Is he actually a butcher or just guy that works in the meat department who does cuts?

It's like this. My neighbor is a Journeyman Baker, he makes $26.68 an hour at Safeway, but there's other guys there who make about $12 an hour doing production baking and decorating under his direction.

Incidentally the butcher I'm referring to was a former member of the Calgary Stampeders :)

Graham_A_M
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
^ Perhaps he just did cuts... I'll ask next time I see him.

CUG
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).