PDA

View Full Version : West side rec users

civicrider
02-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Just seeing how many people on here use westside and when they workout. It seems as of recent the 5:30-7:00 time 80% of the people there are douche bags who spend more time talking and "hanging out" on the equipment then using it, and does anyone know if the expansion they are building will have another weight area?

davidI
02-25-2010, 12:29 AM
That has always been the case. Too many posers who walk around chatting and trying to look cool. I hate these fucking new age metro gyms.

To me, a gym should: smell like sweat, blood and piss; have weights banged up from years of use; allow no cellphones; have heavy music or no music at all - no elevator crap; not only tolerate grunting from over-exertion but promote it (provided it's truly due to exerting oneself); have no fucking fitlinxx or other stupid electronics; have free weights, not machines; have squat racks, not smith machines; have a clientele of people who want to workout - not socialize.

civicrider
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I don't want to sound like a baby, but I hate when my workout loses its flow because three guys are taking turns of the bench and doing two reps each and talking for ten minutes in between. What other gyms are close to westside?

lint
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
What other gyms are close to westside?

... my basement ...

:D

G-Suede
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
Yeah, I don't want to sound like a baby, but I hate when my workout loses its flow because three guys are taking turns of the bench and doing two reps each and talking for ten minutes in between. What other gyms are close to westside?

Jsut tell them to hurry the fuck up and train or take their broners elsewhere. :dunno:

5hift
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Can you go earlier

I used to go around 10-11 AM. The squat racks and benches area would be empty and it was always packed with milfs in the cardio areas.

frozenrice
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I wonder what it'll be like when the new high school opens.
My buddy at work was bitching about the same thing but about the Y down in Shawnessy. Since the high school is attached, there are a ton of high school punks that go in groups of 10-12 and hoard all the equipment.

As far as other gyms, the closest is Good Life, Pro Bodies in Marda Loop, or Kilarney Pool. I can't say much about any of those since I haven't been to them. I just know of them because I'm looking around for gyms right now. I've kind of narrowed it down to either Westside or the Y.

FraserB
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I found that 5-7AM and then 8-10PM where the best times to go, there were never more than 5 people in the gym during these times. Goodlife in Shawnessy BTW.

JordanEG6
03-03-2010, 10:58 PM
One of the reasons why I hate West Side. The place is run by suits and soccer moms that really just take up space. Aside from the poser chumps, the annual fee is expensive.

The only thing I like about West Side are the wonderful array of MILFs :poosie: :rofl:

Originally posted by davidI
That has always been the case. Too many posers who walk around chatting and trying to look cool. I hate these fucking new age metro gyms.

To me, a gym should: smell like sweat, blood and piss; have weights banged up from years of use; allow no cellphones; have heavy music or no music at all - no elevator crap; not only tolerate grunting from over-exertion but promote it (provided it's truly due to exerting oneself); have no fucking fitlinxx or other stupid electronics; have free weights, not machines; have squat racks, not smith machines; have a clientele of people who want to workout - not socialize.

This.

Fitlinx is fcuking retarded and it annoys me when people use the machines while talking on their cell phones. And what's the deal with the $1000 memberships? You just get a nice, plush locker room?

TYMSMNY
03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
^ plus towel service, "private" sauna/steam rooms, and a lounge area. All 18+ so no kids.

In the morning is the best time and during dinner time.

As for the high school opening up, I don't think it'll be full of high school kids unless they get a deal. It's an expensive place to work out.

davidI
03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
^ Mommy and Daddy buy the memberships for kids in the Westsiiiiiide.

Unless it's changed, memberships for kids were $150 or something if their parent had a full membership. That's the only reason I ever worked out there...I could buy a cheap membership.

Oz-
03-04-2010, 11:19 AM

If you want this, go to Remington's Gym off Centre Street and 16th ave.

shakalaka
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I go to Westside and I totally agree. Especially that time so man db's 'working out'. Do a set, drink a little water, talk to the girls 'running' on track for a little bit and do another set. Fuckin pisses me off and some chicks are so much worse. It's like a hangout spot, walkin with a buddy with one headphone in your ear and other in your friends. Like seriously? This is a fucking gym.

And those fucktards that show up with their gf's or whatever, like do you really you have to walk around holding her fucking hand? Is she going to run away or something? Or do you have to show your 'affections' in the fucking gym out of all places? Pisses the shit out of me.

I am gonna try and start going earlier during the day cause going around 6.30-7.30 is just way too fucking annoying now. And it wasn't so bad like even a year or so ago.:banghead:

kenny
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Westside is not a gym, its a rec center. If you want a hardcore gym where everyone is grunting and slamming back protein shakes, etc etc look elsewhere.

JAYMEZ
03-04-2010, 05:23 PM
I didnt renew my membership , the place is way to crowded , and it never felt like a gym!

davidI
03-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Westside is not a gym, its a rec center. If you want a hardcore gym where everyone is grunting and slamming back protein shakes, etc etc look elsewhere.

Lindsay Park (Talisman still?) is a rec center and its gym always had a good feel when I went. It smelled like sweat, not Polo Sport Cologne.

G-Suede
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
BJ's Gym. I used to see a lot of the Stampede and WWF wrestlers train there back in the day.

For you guys complaining about Westside, just tell the fucktards to hurry up and get out of the way. When they meander off to talk on their cellphones, hold hands with their boyfriends or whatever, start loading up the plates. If they complain smile, turn your back, and keep lifting. They'll get the point after being cussed out a few times.

acmilano
03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by kenny

+1

Even though i agree with most of the people here, you can't really expect more from west side. its located in the suburbs and is run by soccer moms. they're mainly a family oriented facility anyway.

that being said, it wasn't this pompous in its earlier days. about 5 years ago it actually had a few bodybuilders that came in, and there were also much less kids walking around (it was still packed with cougars/milfs though)

the one thing that frustrates me the most at westside is:

-the 16yr old guys that walk in with about 4-5 other buddies
-take up 3 or 4 sets of dumbbells
-work each set for about 30 seconds, and then the big kicker; they stand there flexing for each other while at the same time rubbing their non-existent biceps/abs. oh and they also weigh about 120 pounds and wear wife beaters.

anyway that's my 2 cents.

G-Suede
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
^ Just go and take the weights they aren't using. What are they going to do about it? Go rat you out? Who cares.

acmilano
03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
its not really them using the weights that bothers me (cause as you said, i just use something else till their done anyway). its their attitude that bugs me the most. the mirrors are there to check your form, not to rub yourself and check out your friends.

G-Suede
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by acmilano
its not really them using the weights that bothers me (cause as you said, i just use something else till their done anyway). its their attitude that bugs me the most. the mirrors are there to check your form, not to rub yourself and check out your friends.

Point right at the group of boyfriends and start laughing hysterically.

Shunsui
03-15-2010, 12:06 AM
I go to Killarney. Less than $5 admission not too crowded but it is also much smaller than westside maybe 12 people when it's most busy. More people on weekdays after work though. Membership is cheap too I think 1 month was $28 (minor) shouldn't be that much more if your 18+.

Khyron
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I use the pool and the track with the odd weight machine.

No issues, and the eye candy makes a 1+ hr run less painful.

Kobe
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
^ Mommy and Daddy buy the memberships for kids in the Westsiiiiiide.

Unless it's changed, memberships for kids were $150 or something if their parent had a full membership. That's the only reason I ever worked out there...I could buy a cheap membership.

Yah i had a cheap membership like 3-4years ago, I went there a few times, but it didn't feel like a gym, so I stopped going.

It's def way to packed there, if you want to actually work out you should try something else, if ur a student you can get a membership at MRU for the summer for $89ish

Ceebuser
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

sexualbanana
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
what's the basketball gym like on weeknights?? i need a quiet place to do shooting workouts

accordboi_02
04-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
what's the basketball gym like on weeknights?? i need a quiet place to do shooting workouts
Usually get the kids/teens playing ball, and it's only half gym right now, other half is badminton - don't know how it changes when the 2nd gym opens up.

But not as bad as that fucking NE gym we were at that one night, lol

wintonyk
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM

That sounds exactly what I go for. When I was in Halifax I trained crossfit there. THe gym was in the basement of a convenience store. There literally is blood stains on the floor, some of them mine. The smell is of chalkdust and sweat.

http://crossfithfx.com/photos/945093_crossfit%20839.jpg

davidI
04-18-2010, 12:13 AM
If I ever have money I'd like to start a gym in Calgary like this one:

www.gymjones.com/

Completely unorthodox training, but very effective. Who doesn't want to do box jumps on a cat tire!? haha

G-Suede
04-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Completely unorthodox training, but very effective.

Effective in what way?

davidI
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by G-Suede

Effective in what way?

Depends on what you're training for. I think that's what makes them effective...they tailor the training to a goal. Flip through the site to see what I mean.

Most PTs I know think it's low-reps heavy weight to get big or strong, and hi-reps + cardio to lose weight or tone. There's a lot more to it than that!

G-Suede
04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
What I saw was a bunch of people doing some weird and supposedly hardcore shit. In the 20 or so pages of their gallery there wasn't anyone that I would consider "big" or "strong". People are lemmings, and this is yet another fine example of that fact.

davidI
04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by G-Suede
What I saw was a bunch of people doing some weird and supposedly hardcore shit. In the 20 or so pages of their gallery there wasn't anyone that I would consider "big" or "strong". People are lemmings, and this is yet another fine example of that fact.

If you actually read it, you'd realize that the goal of most people training there isn't "to be big". Most are athletes looking for strength and power. There are a few good photos of 8 week transformations that you won't see posted up at your usual gym.

As I said, unorthodox but effective unless your goal is simply to "be big" I guess - although I'd feel like a piece of shit if I had 20 pounds on a guy who was out lifting me. To each their own...

G-Suede
04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
You mentioned big and strong. I simply said that I didn't see either in the pictures on the site. Personally, I enjoy being strong and looking that way too. I'm not into the whole Michael Phelps look, but to each their own.

One hand overhead barbell press seems like a bright idea.

On another note what is with all the retards lately who do chin-ups using every single bit of momentum, leg lifting, and swinging possible?

davidI
04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps doesn't train for "looks".

I also just mentioned big and strong in the context of the simple minded PT, but whatever, people can train however they'd like; it doesn't affect my results.

Mys73ri0
09-14-2012, 10:51 PM
bumping an old thread,

for those that are here, what's it like now?

Still busy the last hour before closing?

What's the pool like? Can you actually swim laps or is it more a family play in the pool type thing? The 1 picture on their site doesn't really show anything

TYMSMNY
09-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
bumping an old thread,

for those that are here, what's it like now?

Still busy the last hour before closing?

What's the pool like? Can you actually swim laps or is it more a family play in the pool type thing? The 1 picture on their site doesn't really show anything

Nope, last hours and week nights are pretty quiet. Even more so when it's nice outside.

They just renovated the pool, they have specific lap times if you want dedicated lanes. The wave/lazy pool is usually where the kids/family hang out.

vw_rabbit2.5
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
i'd also like more info on what it's like now.

with the new high school, is it filled with more high school kids?

GREENBOY
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I go mid-mornings so it's always fairly quiet. Just me, some old guys and lots of housewives. There's a separate area for teens and kids so not usually that crazy. Parking always sucks though. Even when the gym is quiet lots of people must be going for classes etc because the lot is always rammed.

austic
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
The number one thing about westside that pisses me off is the kids side has 3 Oly Platforms and the Adults side has 1......makes sense :dunno:

GREENBOY
11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
And often the kids side is empty and the regular gym is packed...but adults aren't allowed in. That pisses me off.

TYMSMNY
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY
And often the kids side is empty and the regular gym is packed...but adults aren't allowed in. That pisses me off.

You're allowed in after their "priority use" time is over.

austic
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM
aka whenever the regular side is dead anyways

heavyfuel
12-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Glad I found this thread. Getting sorta fed up with a 20 minute 15 km drive to Talisman 4 nights/week. Was considering Westside for proximity convenience but by the sounds of this thread it's just as bad if not worse lol Talisman is getting packed with social butterflies and non-etiquette savvy folk, and really anytime between 3-9 pm might as well be the running of the bulls, let alone trying to find parking. Throw in a Flames game, fuckin nightmare lol so looking around for a new gym. Not sure if I'm ready for a "real" bro city-type gym, but it is starting to sound like a good idea. Toured Westside with my gf a while back, they have good equipment and a lot of it, is it really that bad tho?

Stealth22
12-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Toured Westside with my gf a while back, they have good equipment and a lot of it, is it really that bad tho? I don't go as often as I should. But whenever I do, the parking is usually a pain. Lots of soccer moms in X5's and Q7's carrying 3 toddlers. Sometimes I'll get lucky and land a close spot as someone leaves. You can usually get a spot with not much trouble, but sometimes you may have to walk a bit. I've never seen the lot 100% full.

The part that bothers me is the kids. They walk over from the high school across the street, and in the locker room, they do nothing but sit there and socialize. There'll be a group of 5-10 of them, and they'll sit across two benches and block an entire bank of lockers. Pisses me off so much.

There are some in the regular workout areas, but I haven't seen enough of them there to bother me. Most people are pretty good about not hogging equipment (except the kids), but it does get crowded in the after work hours.

But you're going to see kids and families at any place like Westside, Talisman, YMCA, etc. If Westside is closer for you, you may find the traffic better than Talisman, especially on Flames game nights.

You can get a pack of 10 entry passes at Westside and see what you think. I believe it can be used towards the cost of a membership if you decide to sign on.

heavyfuel
12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I think I might just go to Westside the odd time here and there, with my gf since it's located directly between our homes, and we don't work out together on a regular basis anyways. Gonna stay with Talisman tho. Went for a free tryout at world health north hill, man what a joke. Did my warm up sets and left. Packed with socializers, people using the few dumbell benches they have as storage, closed at 10 pm wtf? and when I asked some nasty she-bro if she was using the bench next to her, she gave me the dirtiest look and said she was, when in reality she wasn't. Seriously couldn't tell if this pig was an overly tanned white girl or a black girl lol. High tailed it outta there straight back to Talisman, had a great chest workout. Pretty pathetic facility too IMO.

ddduke
12-12-2014, 06:16 AM
If you can't stand bro gyms then how do you last at talisman?

The place is full of 16 year olds, the courts are constantly in use by 2 dozen Somalian guys who spit in the water fountains and there's hundreds of typical skinny fat office guys that hog equipment doing pointless workouts that yield zero results.

Also, have you ever stepped foot in the locker rooms? They're the most disgusting, busy thing I've ever fucking seen. I actually worked out at Goodlife for 9 months while waiting for my exec pass to come in so I wouldn't have to get changed in that shit hole.

heavyfuel
12-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
If you can't stand bro gyms then how do you last at talisman?

The place is full of 16 year olds, the courts are constantly in use by 2 dozen Somalian guys who spit in the water fountains and there's hundreds of typical skinny fat office guys that hog equipment doing pointless workouts that yield zero results.

Also, have you ever stepped foot in the locker rooms? They're the most disgusting, busy thing I've ever fucking seen. I actually worked out at Goodlife for 9 months while waiting for my exec pass to come in so I wouldn't have to get changed in that shit hole.

Dude I haul garbage lol you think I give a fuck about getting my feet/clothes dirty when I'm about to shower after a workout? That's only if I have somewhere to be afterwards too or else I just show up in my gym clothes and swap out my shoes by the lockers down in the lower area. Now we all know you're mr. alpha paycheques and all lol but I could still afford an exec membership if I wanted to, personally I'd rather donate that money to charity than have to need a red carpet and be pampered with warm towels before I hit the gym lol.

And where did I mention I didn't like bro gyms? I mentioned I wasn't sure if I was ready for one. According to your expert opinion on Talisman it looks like I was the whole time, because I fuckin love it there and I've been reaching my goals and meeting new people and that's a great fuckin thing.

ddduke
12-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Dude, I think you've got a serious problem. Every time someone writes anything you come back with this super offended dick attitude. you bitch about socializers, bench hogs and said you weren't ready for a bro gym, I assumed that meant you weren't a fan of those types of gyms.

I'm glad you're getting gains at the gym because you don't seem to have anything else working out in life and it's obvious why. The reason why you can't get a house, why you couldn't expand your business before or get a girlfriend not too long ago is probably all because of your shitty woe is me attitude.

What you really should do is go into the health section and start a thread looking for a good psychologist to pair with a decent anti-depressant cocktail because you really are a miserable human.

heavyfuel
12-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
Dude, I think you've got a serious problem. Every time someone writes anything you come back with this super offended dick attitude. you bitch about socializers, bench hogs and said you weren't ready for a bro gym, I assumed that meant you weren't a fan of those types of gyms.

I'm glad you're getting gains at the gym because you don't seem to have anything else working out in life and it's obvious why. The reason why you can't get a house, why you couldn't expand your business before or get a girlfriend not too long ago is probably all because of your shitty woe is me attitude.

What you really should do is go into the health section and start a thread looking for a good psychologist to pair with a decent anti-depressant cocktail because you really are a miserable human.

My main reason for even considering another gym was pure and simple distance. Then it dawned on me- people commute much longer to work so I need to just STFU about a 20 minute drive to a great facility.

To clarify, since you know me so well:

1. Can't get a house because of mortgage rules- not because I lack income or credit.

2. Can't expand my business? Perhaps. Don't want to? Definitely not. I prolly make more than you do when you factor in how many hours I actually work without having to talk to 6 people a day, and I like it that way.

3. Had a gf for the past 12 years, we broke up for a bit this summer now it's back on track. That's longer than most people stay married these days. No relationship is perfect.

4. You perceive a "woe is me" attitude when in reality, it's merely making do with what I have and openly flaunting that I DON'T GIVE A FUCK about everything just having to be perfect all the time.

5. Drugs are drugs, prescribed or not I refuse to do any of them except IRON.

Bench hogs and socializers? I guess you'll find that anywhere too. No grass is really greener in the end, right? Except maybe in the executive locker room?

roll_over
12-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Ha

ddduke
12-13-2014, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
blah blah blah

Dude, justify your shit how ever you want. All I'm saying is that you're miserable human. All you do is bitch and complain.

You've commented tons of times about how you're happy when shit goes wrong for other people, most recent one is the whole O&G/housing crash shit. You can't get it, so you're happy when you see other people lose it. Say what you will but IMO you're bitter and jealous of most people.