PDA

View Full Version : RIP GC8 You will be missed by all

btown
02-25-2010, 03:24 AM
well here are more pics of my GC8 that i bought from JDM Source on dec 4th and was wanting to sell to get an aristo, sold the car went to calgary to pick the guy up and then we went to the insurance office for him to get insurance on the car and stuff and we were sitting in the office for no longer then 10 min when a guy comes running in asking if any one in there was driving the black subaru that was on fire in the parking lot so me and the guy that was going to be the new owner of the car watched it burn infront of the insurance place, the fire inspector seems to think it was an electrical short in the wiring harness that is in the drivers side fender and now that the paint is all burnt off you can see where there was some body work and stuff done to the fender so this car was probibly in an accident at one point in time, would be interesting to see if there is any other body work that has been done to the car.......not realy sure what im going to do with it yet but for now im going to see what my insurance company says....will probibly try and buy the car back and then part it out so that it doesnt just go sit in a junk yard for the rest of its life because there is alot of stuff that is good on the car

here are some pics of the car, i will maybe get some under hood pics tomorrow

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk340/1LOW_YOTA/0223001023.jpg

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk340/1LOW_YOTA/RIPGC8.jpg

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk340/1LOW_YOTA/RIPGC82.jpg

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk340/1LOW_YOTA/RIPGC84-1.jpg

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk340/1LOW_YOTA/RIPGC83.jpg

slinkie
02-25-2010, 03:26 AM

BenC
02-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Fuuuuuuu. Such a nice car. I've wanted that lip since I seen the car for sale

SCHIDER23
02-25-2010, 05:59 AM
WOW that's too bad, I guess the buyer must be thinking he is one lucky SOB WOW, sorry for your lost man.:eek:

kaput
02-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Sparx
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Shit dude sorry to hear that my god thats harsh.

chris746
02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
did JDM Source tell you the car was in a previous accident before you bought it ?

j.lai
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
holy shit, that sucks man. That's a crazy fire

scat19
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
shitty balls

Pollywog
02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Who's officially held the title to the car at the time of the incident?

ekguy
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
That's awful.

talonboi
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
i had a feeling something went wrong when you didnt show up to pick up the Aristo.

sorry for your loss man!

JfuckinC
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Fuck man, i wanted to buy that! sick car.. :(

Trini
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
fcuk that is shitty man
such a nice scooby

mr2mike
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Brutal. Looks more like a leak in a fuel line. I don't know much about those cars but if it was in a prior accident, maybe something a gas line was pinched or cracked a little. Leak got worse and worse and it dripped onto the exhaust or something hot and whammy.
Not oil related as the fire looks clean burning.

It'd be nice if JDM Source helped you out a little since you didn't have the car long. Especially if you didn't do any mods to the car when you got it.
Maybe buy the car back for parts at an agreed price or even reduce the price of another vehicle for you to maintain their reputation. I would talk to them first before you start to slander their name.

If they came through like that, I think they'd more than make their money back through people feeling good about having some sort of warranty in a freak occurance like this.

Shlade
02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
wow that sucks so hard!

King Banana
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Did you leave the car running outside unattended?

dimi
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry for your loss dude. GC8s are my favorite subbies by far, especially the 2 door ones.

I still don't understand how some of you buy these jdm cars. I don't want to start a debate again, but man some of you are risking your lives over a few grand of savings, and still getting an older bagged out car...

I would much rather endure the hardships of swapping a turbo motor into a N/A GC8, and all of the wiring nightmares. At least then I would know its my work and I did it right.

Forget the mileage, performance, looks and w/e else you might get over a N/A GC8, you are dealing with your life here, can you put a price on that?

But hey that's just my opinion :dunno:

gretz
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
My guess would be overheated due to lack of coolant...

When you flushed all the fluids (after initial purchase) - who did it? Were there any coolant leaks around the turbo / cracks in the lines?

Sucks balls man - as for JDM source...the car was bought in December. If there were issues with the wiring / fuel lines / etc... It likely would have burned sooner, rather than 3 months later.

Shitty deal, I can't see how JDM would be responsible at all - or we would all buy, beat to shit, and return the car to JDM after 3 months because it lit on fire...

Trini
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Sorry for your loss dude. GC8s are my favorite subbies by far, especially the 2 door ones.

I still don't understand how some of you buy these jdm cars. I don't want to start a debate again, but man some of you are risking your lives over a few grand of savings, and still getting an older bagged out car...

I would much rather endure the hardships of swapping a turbo motor into a N/A GC8, and all of the wiring nightmares. At least then I would know its my work and I did it right.

Forget the mileage, performance, looks and w/e else you might get over a N/A GC8, you are dealing with your life here, can you put a price on that?

But hey that's just my opinion :dunno:

difficult to get a GC8 that is clean and the prices of them in AB way too high for what you would get.

And how many cases of JDM GC8 scoobies burning have there been?

Clark-Kent
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Damn that sucks man, sorry for your loss

dimi
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Trini

difficult to get a GC8 that is clean and the prices of them in AB way too high for what you would get.

And how many cases of JDM GC8 scoobies burning have there been?

So go get one from the states. Ton of them there... There are also lots that are already swapped too. 3 years ago when I was car shopping I was looking at a 2000 2 door with an 05 sti engine/tranny/axles for around $17,000 US. That's a pretty good deal considering what you get, and not to mention that was 3 years ago. At that time a WRX engine swapped GC8 was around $12000. Professionally swapped too, not some junkyard auction car that you have absolutely no history on. I haven't followed the prices on these recently since I ended up with an S2000, but I would only assume they got cheaper.

Another factor to consider is how many turbo LHD GC8's do you see. Very few. If I recall correctly there was a gentleman who completed this swap on beyond and had a ton of pictures. Maybe a few more, but thats around it.

Its not about how many JDM GC8s have burned down. It just shows you that the car was rigged. Overheating due to a lack of coolant WILL NOT burn a car down... My guess would be shotty wiring that unraveled with time and shorted out.

But again, these are my opinions. I have a friend who has a jdm gc8 and it is a nice car, just not my personal preference.

gretz
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Overheating due to a lack of coolant WILL NOT burn a car down...

You wanna bet?

My guess would be shotty wiring that unraveled with time and shorted out.

This is likely the case, but coolant leaks are very common, especially since the hardlines like to kink / corrode / break over time...

dimi
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Overheating due to a lack of coolant WILL NOT burn a car down...

You wanna bet?

My guess would be shotty wiring that unraveled with time and shorted out.

This is likely the case, but coolant leaks are very common, especially since the hardlines like to kink / corrode / break over time...

Ok I misunderstood. Coolant leak, for sure. But simply overheating the car shouldn't start a fire. :dunno:

chris746
02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Maybe if he would have known about a previous accident he would have looked for what area was repaired and noticed a potential problem ?

It's not about jdm vehicles, but shitty car dealers.

FraserB
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
If the car had been in an accident prior to OP's purchase, is the dealer required to tell him about it or is it up to the OP to do a CarProof and find out?

BenC
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
How are you gnnna carproof a car from japan^

FraserB
02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by BenC
How are you gnnna carproof a car from japan^

Oops, Im only used to buying NA crap.:nut:

jdmsource
02-25-2010, 06:48 PM
this is pretty sad to see happen to such a good guy:( and about the accident deal, its not like the cars i sell i have owned for its entire life for me to know all the details lol, if i would have known this car was in an accident i would have definately let the the OP know but come on are you telling me that everyone that imports cars that are 15-20 years old are gonna know the full history on them? honeslty everyone that purchases a vehicle from us that asks if the car has been in any accidents i always say that i do not know any history on it so i cant say it hasn't or has.

i have spoken to the owner of the car and offered to help anyway i can either it be him purchasing another car at discounted rate or if his insurance has any questions regarding his claim that i can help with.

as for chris746, seems like your sole purpose in life is to shit on every jdm related car thread no?

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&q=&searchid=7757257&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

403Gemini
02-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by jdmsource
this is pretty sad to see happen to such a good guy:( and about the accident deal, its not like the cars i sell i have owned for its entire life for me to know all the details lol, if i would have known this car was in an accident i would have definately let the the OP know but come on are you telling me that everyone that imports cars that are 15-20 years old are gonna know the full history on them? honeslty everyone that purchases a vehicle from us that asks if the car has been in any accidents i always say that i do not know any history on it so i cant say it hasn't or has.

i have spoken to the owner of the car and offered to help anyway i can either it be him purchasing another car at discounted rate or if his insurance has any questions regarding his claim that i can help with.

as for chris746, seems like your sole purpose in life is to shit on every jdm related car thread no?

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&q=&searchid=7757257&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Good to see a vendor helping a customer out :thumbsup:

Shitty luck to the OP though :(

rizfarmer
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
:rofl:

600rr
02-25-2010, 07:09 PM
wow lots of the people posting here hating on a jdm probably have never been in one, let alone care to learn about them. But that issue will never be settled.

I think it would have been the OP's responsibility to check out the car thoroughly before buying. For example, I always knock on all panels to see the sound they make so you can indeed heard where has been repaired with bondo and whatnot. I am sure there could have been more documentation provided to the OP of the history of the car in Japan, but oh well. I have bought a couple cars from Jdmsource and for the most part i have been satisfied with my purchase, and when i wasn't i adressed the problem to Jdmsource and he worked with me to solve the problem and make me happy.
Jdm is a reputable shop and a very good guy to work with, I am sure the OP and him will settle this with both parties happy. Jdm offered help which goes to show his business is an honest one Chris746 or whatever your name is, get a life bud.

Also, the OP had a tuned ecu in the car that i am pretty sure it did not come with from jdm, there could be some faulty wiring from your esl tune, if you got it from Anton, maybe talk to him about that.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune OP you had a really great looking car.

narou
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Please tell me where I can buy a usdm r33?

Boostzilla
02-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Its been said many times already but ill say it again sorry for your loss man. Hope things get better for ya.

bignerd
02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
A good reason to keep insurance on your car until it is officially delivered to the new owners and out of your hands....

BigBadVlad
02-25-2010, 10:03 PM
bummer to see, but I'll chime in that I've had my evo I for almost 2 years now and about 20,000 km's and the only problems I had was a clutch hose tha leaked and needed a new one. Asking some questions and for $65 i had a custom better than OEM replacement. Only other concern has been poor fuel mileage as of late and I'm thinking O2 sensor currently. Cost me about $8000 all told (legalised and all) and have been happy as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten anything like it for the money here.

Shit happens and it looks like it was unfortunate that it happened to you and your car that day. Hopefully it mostly works out for you at least and you get to enjoy your next car a little longer.

soloracer
02-26-2010, 12:27 AM
No offense to anyone here, but it just amazes me all the "JDM cars are way nicer, only 30k miles, etc." replies that come out whenever someone comments about tired, POS cars being dumped here from Japan. Can the JDM fanboys now admit that a good number of these cars are in fact basket cases?

SRT10Killer
02-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
No offense to anyone here, but it just amazes me all the "JDM cars are way nicer, only 30k miles, etc." replies that come out whenever someone comments about tired, POS cars being dumped here from Japan. Can the JDM fanboys now admit that a good number of these cars are in fact basket cases?

What the hell are you talking about, 1 JDM car has a wiring issue and all the sudden 'a good number are basket cases" ?

there are obviously shitboxes most of which are for race purposes and are priced accordingly...

I know your pissed that the JDM cars devaluing your beloved LHD FD and based on your previous posts you've made a career of bashing JDM cars, but it's time to get over it, the number of JDM cars will only increase in Canada

narou
02-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I know my car is not brand new off the fucking lot, but neither are any of the boring beat to shit cars I would have picked up here for the same price.

btown
02-26-2010, 04:09 AM
the car was no longer mine when this happened....but being the nice guy that i am i refunded the guy his money because it was not his falt nor was it mine but i still had insurance on the car when this happened and he didnt have his insurance in place yet. the car was running on the turbo timer but would have shut off long b4 the fire started.

sputnik
02-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess that settles it...

Buying a JDM car of unknown condition and care REALLY IS playing with fire.

btown
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
wow lots of JDM hater's on this site.......this is probably not going to stop me or any other person from buying another JDM car....

BenC
02-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Same thing with buying any used car. Buyer beware. I don't see any problem with jdm. My jdm gc8s been way more reliable than any usdm car I've owned

mr2mike
02-26-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not a JDM fan solely of the RHD aspect. That being said,

I am still impressed that JDM Source has come out to play with this issue and help the OP out on whatever they can.

Despite maybe losing a little in a discounted sale to help a client out, I think this speaks volumes in an Internetz era of, pack up the website and rename the company rather than deal with past clients.
I personally can name quite a few of people and companies that don't stand behind their sales.

SRT10Killer
02-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by btown
wow lots of JDM hater's on this site.......this is probably not going to stop me or any other person from buying another JDM car....

lol welcome to beyond, if you don't own a civic, 240 or a beemer gtfo

with that said I've been driving rhd pretty much all my life and will continue to until I feel differently....

TDFTW
02-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I guess that settles it...

Buying a JDM car of unknown condition and care REALLY IS playing with fire.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060105/145213__csi_l.jpg

403Gemini
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

lol welcome to beyond, if you don't own a civic, 240 or a beemer gtfo

with that said I've been driving rhd pretty much all my life and will continue to until I feel differently....

Civics are so 2003-2004. It's all about Mitsubishi, BMW, & Non-JDM Subarus now ;)

Sask_EG
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Damn that sucks, I loved that car. I was really close to buying it.

On a side note, I have bought probably 10 cars over the years from JDM Source, and numerous engines and have always had great service and never had a problem. Ive been VERY impressed with them over the years and continue to send business to them on a regular basis.

travis_gillard
03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
yea i have bought several cars from JDM source as well and never had any problems, in fact i have had a great experience with JDM source. thats some shitty luck man that was a nice car i feel your pain

streethondas
03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by chris746
Maybe if he would have known about a previous accident he would have looked for what area was repaired and noticed a potential problem ?

It's not about jdm vehicles, but shitty car dealers.

GTFO JDM Source is one of the respected dealer in calgary nuff said :guns:

sorry for the loss

Vr4Whore
03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
friend bought a car from them was very pleased

you should not have a hard time parting your entire car out