PDA

View Full Version : Have an opportunity to build a D16 OPTIONS????

Nissan_Fanboy
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey, i have an opportunity to build a D16z6,
I want to go boost, and was looking for ideas, what people think of them and the total cost.
I don't want it to cost over 2000
I was thinking this

New seals, Gaskets, ect -200?
Turbo 200?
Manifold 200?
Lines/Ect 400?
Intercooler 500?
Tuning around 300 ?

Was looking for someone to give me some advice and ideas, Sentry ... Sparx ...
LOL
Drop me a line yo!

Thanks
-Chase

dj_rice
02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Sorry, off topic here, but did you choose the wrong username?

Sentry
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
If you're doing gaskets, get ARP head studs while you're at it. They're about 100 bucks
Oil line kit is 150ish.
Intercooler and charge pipes and fake (but functional) blowoff valve about 300. And actually, I have an intercooler I can sell you cheap so all you have to get is charge pipe and a BOV.
Good turbo would be 600-800 bucks, but you can take a chance with a cheapie if you want.
If you want to run more than 10-11ish PSI, get a MAP sensor. They're about 40 bucks.
Stock injectors are only 240cc, useless if you want more than 140-150 whp. Popular option is injectors from a 1g manual DSM. 450cc. You'll need to wire a resistor box into your injector harness. About 150 for injectors and resistor box if the injectors are refurb. Cheaper if they're just pulled from a junkyard car.
For tuning, a socketed ECU is 175. You can sell your old one for about 100 dollars. Then tuning on a dyno will probably be 300 bucks.
Get a boost gauge bare minimum. Any brand will do.
Stock clutch will not take very much more power than stock. LSD motorsports makes affordable clutches with a good reputation. Sprung 6 puck with a medium strong pressure plate would work. If you already have something aftermarket you should be good.
Wastegate I wouldn't cheap out on. A Tial unit will run you 200 dollars.

I think that about covers it.

Couples sites for you to check out.

http://www.go-autoworks.com/ Lots of D series turbo stuff, manifolds, DIY items, oil line kits, turbos, complete kits.
http://spoolinperformance.com/ Manifolds, downpipes.
http://www.rcautoworks.com/ Manifolds, downpipes.
http://www.straightlinespecialties.com/ Manifolds, downpipes.
http://fjdistributors.com/ Engine internals, bearings, gasket sets, head studs.
http://phearable.net/ Tuning items. ECUs, MAP sensors, injectors.
http://xenocron.com/ Tuning items. ECUs, MAP sensors, injectors.
http://cxracing.com/ Ebay stuff, BUT they make solid intercooler kits and a sick cast manifold. You should probably get their manifold.

403ep3
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
First rebuilding and now someone wants to boost! haha baller

I'd build my own turbo setup but I don't know enough. I can only do the basic maintenance and mods =(

Good luck with the build! You should do it and then lets race when I get my turbo in..eventually. Gotta save up 4k at least first.

beyond_ban
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
^ Turbo K20 :drool:

OP, i say go B18C5 :thumbsup:

Nothing like solid NA power IMO.

EDIT: N/M, i see you don't wanna go over $2k. B18C1?

Sentry
02-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Nothing like solid NA power IMO.
If you want this, get a V8, if you want a quick Honda get a turbo. :D

beyond_ban
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

If you want this, get a V8, if you want a quick Honda get a turbo. :D

Slightly biased?

Sentry
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Just speaking from experience is all.

Ask owners of some certain B16B and B18C1 and K20A2 swapped cars about their experience with a certain D16 car. :)

403ep3
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I wanna eventually swap in a k24 peakboost setup into my car evenually =) Should be enough power for the streets

Errol.
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Its a d. Turbo, have fun blow it up, put a new one in haha.

Looks like sentry got the build part down though.

Nissan_Fanboy
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Sorry, off topic here, but did you choose the wrong username?

LOL yeah, back when i wanted a 240 ...
but i wanna make my car a good reliable DD with some power.
I feel so ... stock and left out
;)

and thanks sentry,
ill read up when i get home from work.
nice meeting you btw at the meet.

Thanks for the comments LOL.
but ill reply asap .
Work calls.

Nissan_Fanboy
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
if i had the money, i would deffinintly go with a NA B18c1 build bored out to a 2L, run high compression,
but that is outside my price range
but i'm thinking of just doing this for fun.

comp cams maybe too ?

i would only want to run around 6-8psi just to keep it safe.
If i do this, i wanna turn my car into something nice.
so lip kit, paint, rims, seats, full black interior you know.
might aswell make it worth it.

95EG6P
02-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Don't boost it, keep it N/A unless you have a extra car when your boosted one doesn't work. lol (Ask Sparx) :rofl:

If I was to boost, I would work with a better engine like the B18c1 or supercharge a K20 but that's only my opinion.

If you do boost the D16 I wanna be one of the first ones to sit in it and go "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Errol.
02-25-2010, 06:01 PM
If you want a b18c1 i might be selling my JDM B18C (GSR) when my summer car comes out.

Nissan_Fanboy
02-26-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm considering a b18c1, VTEC FTW!!!
I kindof want that nice vtec kick
Get a c1 with some nice cams,
Errol, message me on Facebook or something.
Chase Myles
I'm actually considering it ^.^

peterparker
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
go with the b18c1 vtec for the win
then when you get bored of that boost it

my $.02

YamahaV8
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Keep the D and boost it. You can build it, boost it and tune it for roughly the same price as a b18 swap. A built Z6 can run 250-300hp all day long with no reliability issues if you use the right parts. Besides that boosting a B later will cost a pretty penny and if anything goes wrong with your D they are cheap to fix. Oh and a boosted D will actually make torque unlike a N/A B18. Enjoy being pushed into your seat while you smoke a corvette.

Here are some links for you to check out.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/general-tech/16537-price-b-swap-vs-sticking-d.html

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/102717-read-if-your-thinking-going-turbo.html

Nissan_Fanboy
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I've been really considering it.
If i'm going to do this to my car,
i'm going all out.

Turbo the D with a T3/T4, .50 a/r
Vitara Pistons and eagle rods
-just the start

Then go with a refurbished black interior,
type r black seats with red stitch

Mugen Lip, Mugen Skirts, Type R Lip,
Get a WS2 muffler,

New Black paint job.
Gold GT3, or spun supamesh rims

Coilovers, slammmed

but now that i think about it.
Thats gunna cost ALOT, and is it really worth it in the end ?
FEEDBACK >?

403ep3
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Lol didn't you say you wanted to spend a little amount? Haha I just counted a lot more than a little :nut:

Rethink slammed =) I don't know if you've seen my car but it's low. I scrape everything to the point that my midpipe is bent a little and is touching my underbody. It looks nice but make sure you can take a little scraping now and then.

AutodreamMarvin
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Easy:
Step 1:
Buy used GReddy turbo kit with intercooler. Well made, direct fit. Doesn't make a ton of power but is a good first step toward making bigger power. I've seen alot of them go for as cheap as $500 with intercooler.

Step 2:
Buy used Hondata or chip your ECU.

Step 3:
Buy injectors. 310cc to 450cc should be more than enough to fuel the fire.

Step 4:
Get it tuned. There are some basemaps for your setup available. But to make the most of it, a good tune will do you good.

There you have it. A reliable 200ish flywheel (150-60ish whp) with no mickey mouse ebay garbage. Throw in a 2.5-3" exhaust while you are it.

If you have the mechanical and fabrication know how, one of my buddies here in Vancouver has run a 10 second pass with roughly about $5000 junkyard d-series vitara build.

He's selling his turbo setup too, but it will be too laggy and pretty much useless on a stock engine.

Me and a friend put together an EK hatch last year with a built d16a6 block with z6 head and an Edelbrock GT28RS kit. I ran it to a 13.5@108mph on street tires with a pussy launch. Another friend with slicks on an EG sedan with a D16 turbo ran a 12.5@107mph that same night too with anti-lag. His build was about $3000 with a built engine I found for him. With that mph and launch the EK should've been deep in the 12's. (shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't.

Anyway good luck with the build. I would like to see my wife's old EG coupe run to it's fullest potential.

Sentry
03-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah I've got a GReddy kit and 370cc injectors at about 14 psi. Haven't ran it at a track yet but it should trap 105+.

The guy that ran a 10 over in BC wouldn't happen to be Dan Zeilstra would he? ;)

I love that guy's engine bay, he's got the DIY spirit. :D

Sebasshole
03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
boost the d, b16 b20 b18 b18c5, they all get really boring really quick....... boosted d will keep you excited for longer. Plus if it does break down you will learn alot every time you need to fix it.

AutodreamMarvin
03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Yeah I've got a GReddy kit and 370cc injectors at about 14 psi. Haven't ran it at a track yet but it should trap 105+.

The guy that ran a 10 over in BC wouldn't happen to be Dan Zeilstra would he? ;)

I love that guy's engine bay, he's got the DIY spirit. :D

Lol, yeah its good old Dan. Pretty much everything is DIY. He even made a traction bar which utilizes the front mount on his EF.

I can't believe he managed to fit that 4" pipe that I sold him to make a downpipe.:eek:

Can't wait to see his vtec head'd D16 turbo EK if he goes through with it.

oh to add, the guy who ran a 12.5 is selling his engine.

He bought the block built for $1500, it's sleeved with forged pistons and rods. He changed a few things here and there and is selling it with a z6 head which has the ZEX 59300 cam and springs which i sold him brand new.

He said he'd let it go for $1600.

Nissan_Fanboy
03-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin

Lol, yeah its good old Dan. Pretty much everything is DIY. He even made a traction bar which utilizes the front mount on his EF.

I can't believe he managed to fit that 4" pipe that I sold him to make a downpipe.:eek:

Can't wait to see his vtec head'd D16 turbo EK if he goes through with it.

oh to add, the guy who ran a 12.5 is selling his engine.

He bought the block built for $1500, it's sleeved with forged pistons and rods. He changed a few things here and there and is selling it with a z6 head which has the ZEX 59300 cam and springs which i sold him brand new.

He said he'd let it go for $1600.

I honestly don't know if i wanna do all this stuff to my car,
i have a feeling that i may regret it in the end.
I kindof wanna get that s13 i always wanted,
or something along those lines.
But ill keep in mind everything everyone has said.

AutodreamMarvin
03-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Good choice!

I can try to find you an S13 from BC if you'd like.

They're generally in a lot better shape than in Alberta.

At least you'll live up to your name.

Nissan_Fanboy
03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin
Good choice!

I can try to find you an S13 from BC if you'd like.

They're generally in a lot better shape than in Alberta.

At least you'll live up to your name.

Thanks man!
Yeah, less rust and everything.
I'll let you know, i need to find a buyer for my EJ1
Ill pm you some questions.