PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C megadosing

Crymson
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Anyone do this? For how long have you done it, how do you feel?

GQBalla
02-25-2010, 03:09 PM
i take 10 x 500 mg of vitamin C three times a day when im starting to feel sick and while i am sick.

it works but i makes me go to the washroom ahahah

Crymson
02-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I've heard there can be some "bathroom problems" associated with jumping on the 10,000 mg plan right away and it takes a while to build up to it

GQBalla
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
ahah definitely bathroom issues, but i look at it as flushing out the sickness ahahah

Crymson
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
But from everything out there, we really should be taking 10x what we get in vitamin C.

My parents who are now 60 have been megadosing for about 10 years. And they do NOT look 60. Barely any wrinkles, healthy, relatively young looking. they look late 40's.

Of course that's just anecdotal, but the argument for megadosing is so strong that who knows what kind of lives we'd live if we were able to produce our own vitamin C internally.

dimi
02-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I take about 20000 mg when I am sick, 1000 mg daily, or about 2-3000 when snowboarding. Don't over do it, and if you feel your gut starting to "loosen", slow down a little.

dimi
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ahah definitely bathroom issues, but i look at it as flushing out the sickness ahahah

I think this is exactly what you don't want to happen. You get diarrhea because the organism can't absorb the amount of Vit. C. I don't think there are many positives associated with getting diarrhea. I read somewhere that the healthier you are the more you can absorb without that happening. But of course if you don't take big amounts on a regular basis and then take 10000 mg you might have problems.

Rstar
02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
i read somewhere that you can only absorb x vitamin c before you just piss the rest out.

What the heck benefit do you allegedly gain from taking ridiculous amounts of it?

dimi
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Rstar
i read somewhere that you can only absorb x vitamin c before you just piss the rest out.

What the heck benefit do you allegedly gain from taking ridiculous amounts of it?

No you can absorb a certain amount, the rest you piss out, and if you get way too much, well then yea...

Crymson
02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
They way it was described to me, is yes - you do "just piss the rest out" but it's like filling a bucket that has and increasing ammount of holes in the sides as you get closer to the top. The benefit of vitamin C is equivalent to pressure at the bottom of the bucket.

Not getting scurvy is basically have a quarter inch in the bottom, and as you add more and more you obviously metabolize more but the "pressure" builds at the bottom buids.

like a goat, who normally produces about 10,000 mg a day can produce 100,000 when they're ill.

Crymson
02-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dimi

I think this is exactly what you don't want to happen. You get diarrhea because the organism can't absorb the amount of Vit. C. I don't think there are many positives associated with getting diarrhea. I read somewhere that the healthier you are the more you can absorb without that happening. But of course if you don't take big amounts on a regular basis and then take 10000 mg you might have problems.

I've read that it's the opposite.

It's like morphine and pain -- someone under an incredible ammount of pain can take enough morphine that would kill anyone else. When you're ill, you can handle WAY more vitamin C without getting diahrea