PDA

View Full Version : Recommend any furniture stores?

D'z Nutz
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
We're gonna be in the market for new furniture in the upcoming months and was wondering if anyone's got any recommendations for places we should be checking out other than the usual Leon's, The Brick, etc... We're not looking for any big name designer stuff, but stuff that's nicely priced and won't fall apart in a few years. I think the focus right now are some couches, we'll eventually be needing kitchen tables/chairs and living room tables too.

redline
02-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I got my new bedroom suite from Sojourn.

03ozwhip
02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
i JUST bought a REAL leather couch and loveseat, 58" samsung plasma and a maytag front load washer and dryer all with 5 year warranty for 5k at united furniture warehouse. theyre a branch off of the brick but you get better prices because its not a fancy showroom etc....it was the best deal for good quality stuff that i found.

Unknown303
02-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm going to plug Urban Barn. My fiance works at the one across from Costco in Heritage and we have a lot of stuff from there. Their furniture is very reasonably priced in my opinion.

Plus she's not afraid to point people to other stores if she doesn't think they have what you need.

Weapon_R
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Crossroads Furniture has some really nice offerings and they have great prices.

Bizzareo
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Nordic furniture near the crossroads market is really nice, super high quality but a little pricey. My parents bought a couch from there, and I can see this couch lasting them like 30 years.

I know the Lazy Boy in Northland mall has a little clearance store setup, some decent deals there.

There are also some nice places in Kensington and Inglewood. And I think there is a Ashley furniture store near speedtech in the NE..

D'z Nutz
02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, this will really help us get started. Keep em coming!

CRXguy
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by redline
I got my new bedroom suite from Sojourn.

Wife and I ordered a sectional there. Should arrive in a couple weeks. They have very nice furniture there.

r3ccOs
03-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Leons, Ashleys, brick, in general are all crap.

Palliser/EQ3 and Lane are so/so, but sometimes you can find a nice piece for reasonable prices.

I usually go to lazboy for couches, as they have variety and a superior cushin and frame design for their price range. My other half has bought chairs, occational tables and designed our office at Ethan Allen.
My other favorite place is Home Evo, and even sometimes their sister store Bondars.

Masked Bandit
03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Over the years I've found the best bang for the buck at Crossroads. The place sure isn't fancy but the kitchen table & chairs we bought there have held up very well over the past five years. We recently bought a bedroom suite from Leons only because Crossroads didn't have anything we liked. If you go to Leons ask for a guy by the name of Patrick Gamblin. Younger guy, real tall, was very helpful over the half a dozen times we were in there. Some of those other guys in there are total douches.

yoda124
03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i JUST bought a REAL leather couch and loveseat, 58" samsung plasma and a maytag front load washer and dryer all with 5 year warranty for 5k at united furniture warehouse. theyre a branch off of the brick but you get better prices because its not a fancy showroom etc....it was the best deal for good quality stuff that i found.

You paid 5k for all that? :eek:

bought all those exact items for half that price on boxing day not including warranty.samsung 58" plasma $1100 real sofa loveseat chair $988 maytag front load wash dryer $699

Graham_A_M
03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.nasource.com/html/Sofas.html

Lex350
03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
this thread is so full of fail right now....people need to do their research on what qualifies as quality furniture.:banghead:

Melinda
03-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
this thread is so full of fail right now....people need to do their research on what qualifies as quality furniture.:banghead:
So then what are your suggestions? :)

r3ccOs
03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

"werd"
"clean" contemporary lines.. is not indicative of good quality
If fact, most of it is MDF or "engineered hardwood (plywood)" with a veneer slapped on it... mostly a crappy veneer at that (like those piano finished pieces from revolve or EQ3)

NOT that places like Revolve, or EQ3 don't have cleaver multi-functional pieces that falls in line w/ contemporary styling, just they are no better built than your assemble at home Ikea products.

Leons/Ashelys/Brick are all included in that statement, regardless of styling...

MORE importantly, is you have to learn about where the product is made, the materials used, the assembly method, and quality of the overall products.

Also most sales people lie...
I went to Leon's with a friend who is short on dough, and wants to take advantage of the 18 month financing :barf:
I was SOO surprised that you can get a living room set for, hell under 1k if you wanted to, including occational tables.
But you get what you pay for, as is always the case.

The effer there, was telling my buddy that the leather on the couches are tanned and "top-grain" from italy, and they use 8-way hand tied springs and 3-4lbs foam for the cushin's a minimum on all their products...
Hell, not even Jaques or Lazyboy can claim that...
Along with that, I just sat there with a grin, as I was explained the superiority of the "veneer'd" bedroom sets over real hardwood, and that dovetailing & tong & grooving is just a fancy finishing that holds no added strenght over "METAL fasteners"

Its amazing how they'll sell their own mother let alone soul for a buck...

Alright, so... here goes
For Sofa's, a quality fabric is very important... they elimanted scotch guarding years back due to environmental concerns. That means, you need to pick a product that will suit your enviornment... i.e. dogs & kids
Leather -- The higher end the leather, the softer it feals. Unaltered Top Grain, looks the part, and feels the part. It however is softer and more poris, being far more subjected to tearing and stains.
Thick "conventional" altered leather -- is generally lower grade leather that is tanned as well, but scrapped down to eliminate imperfections... scars, skintabs etc... are scrapped down until its like a sheet of paper... of which is then pressed and colored to whatever the desired product becomes.
This is your typical consistant looking leather, which has become incredibly affordable due to the imports of south american leather and cheap tannery work performed in China.
This stuff really wears like iron, looks rather good... but again you have to be concious as to the product itself... as there are concerns due to the finishing performed in China.
I'm not talking about durability, but rather the ecology (should you so care) and whether there is any remnance of any toxic chemicals, as they are not nearly as governed with their practices as we are in NA.
(my uncle owns a leather tannery/factory in China and its brutal, but at least he's starting to change it around)

The support & frame are of perhaps even more importants, as its the overall ergonomics and size of your sofa.
Make sure it seats well, and then ensure that they use proper springs, such as 8-way hand tied and progressive. Also ensure that the frame is made of kiln dried hardwoods or engineer hardwoods, again to ensure integrity of the structure.
The cushins also have to be of high quality, as this can seriously affect your alignment, like a George Kastanza wallet. Ensure that you have at least 2-3lb closed foam. I like Lazboy's cushin's as they use progressive urethane cores to again, ensure better ergonomics and durability.

Now when it comes down to wood furnature, whether
dining room, TV stand, bedroom set or Crib
Buy the style you want, and I'd urge you to buy solid hardwoods, if you think you are willing to keep it.
Unlike veneers, they are stainable and unlike MDF assembled with metal fastners and cardboard.... good products will stand the test of time.
Dovetailing & Tung & Grooving are the way that joints are assembled and are immensely funtional in ensuring its structural integrity.

Again though... you can find products made in NA and products made offshore... & its your call.
I've seen some great products made to very good quality standards from China... most of the Urban Barn stuff in fact is.
However if ecology is your thing, or you'd prefer to support your domestic market... I'd urge to purchase Canadian or US.
Lots of manufactor's who are willing to custom make, stain and design your furnature. From contemporary to frillly victorian to gothic.
For that, I'd suggest looking at Solid Wood Superstore, or heck even the faveri's unpainted solid wood store, he has some great stuff. (I use leftover stain from my cabinet supplier to match up some pieces, such as a bench or cabinets in the laundry room)
Remeber Hardwoods, not softwoods unless you like a rustic look fast

I also really like Home Evolution and Jaques alot, as they have excellent pricing and distribute for numerous vendors.

my favorite proper stores:
Solid Wood Superstore
Lazboy
Faveri's
Home Evo
Bondars
Jaques
Ethan Allen
Home Sence

Places that have cleaver fun disposable items:
Ikea
Jysk

Places to find that nastolgic piece:
Crossroads Farmers Market
Little auction houses in the small towns like Black Diamond

places to avoid:
IMO Revolve, Brick, Leons, United, EQ3, Ashley's & Crossroads market
*why crossroads? - cause its all Pallaser garbage. I used to support IT for pallaser in the peg, where the head office once was, and believe me, its far from quality furnature*

quazimoto
03-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Crossroads is actually a combination of big name stores that can't move certain inventory so they just stick it there with discounts.

I only buy couches at lazy boy myself since the quality simply can't be matched for the price. It's wise not to be cheap when it comes to a living room set. Stores like ashley, leon's etc, while having better prices will sell you couches with lower grade leather, poor seat cushioning and the over construction of the frame is not nearly as sturdy. We have family members that have leather couches from Lazy Boy that are well over 10 years old and you'd honestly never know it.

I always suggest to people to not look at price tags when shopping for furniture as normally it will lead you down the road to buying crap that won't last you as long as you think. I've bought ashley's before and the quality is no where near as good as what lazy boy provides you with.

We ended up spending something like $3700 for one full sized leather reclining couch and one matching reclining/swivel chair in a mocha leather. We have no qualms doing that since we know we'll own them for decades to come and they'll still look great too.

r3ccOs
03-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Crossroads is actually a combination of big name stores that can't move certain inventory so they just stick it there with discounts.

I only buy couches at lazy boy myself since the quality simply can't be matched for the price. It's wise not to be cheap when it comes to a living room set. Stores like ashley, leon's etc, while having better prices will sell you couches with lower grade leather, poor seat cushioning and the over construction of the frame is not nearly as sturdy. We have family members that have leather couches from Lazy Boy that are well over 10 years old and you'd honestly never know it.

I always suggest to people to not look at price tags when shopping for furniture as normally it will lead you down the road to buying crap that won't last you as long as you think. I've bought ashley's before and the quality is no where near as good as what lazy boy provides you with.

We ended up spending something like $3700 for one full sized leather reclining couch and one matching reclining/swivel chair in a mocha leather. We have no qualms doing that since we know we'll own them for decades to come and they'll still look great too.

Though you are right about Crossroads -- the last time I was there (about 4 months ago) most of it was Palliser or Ashelys (which is a subsiduary of Palliser)

http://www.villageois.ca/index-en.aspx -- we have the mission dining room/chair set

We will be ordering a Monaco Lingerie Chest, Mission Morris Chair and Mission Side table from Jaques

Also a huge fan of: http://www.brownstonefurniture.com/
We have a Campaign set and Home Evo brings their stuff in for a very good price

Lex350
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Beware of the claim "top grain" leather. It lends you to think that is quality. What you should be looking for is "full grain leather". The difference is with top grain leather is that the leather is split into a top grain and a bottom grain. The top grain looks nice but it is half the thickness it should be and quite often they seal the leather to provide extra durability. The bottom grain is what you usually get on sofas under 1k. That is the bottom grain that they then sand the surface to make it look like the top grain.

Ask the salesperson if the leather has a sealer or has been "treated". You don't won't this. This is the main reason why cheap leather is slippery and cold to the touch. Leather is a natural material. The material Bbreathes" so it should always feel at room temperature.

Here is a bit more info on leather.

http://www.spinneybeck.com/About/AboutLeather.aspx

Lex350
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

So then what are your suggestions? :)

hahaha...not going there.

If you want something that looks ok for about two years then by all means go to these places listed. If you want something that lasts go elsewhere.....where? that depends on your tastes.

r3ccOs
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Seriously... Rotten u what would you recommend then? I stand by my choices, and believe me my furnature has lasted more than 2 years.

03ozwhip
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by yoda124

bought all those exact items for half that price on boxing day not including warranty.samsung 58" plasma $1100 real sofa loveseat chair $988 maytag front load wash dryer $699

i sure did. paid 1950 for the samsung(this years not last years) paid 999 for the washer and dryer and i think about 850 for the FULL GRAIN couch and loveseat. taxes, biggest warranty you can get on all of them and i paid about 5k. its not boxing day and you didnt factor in warranty or taxes.

might be a less than me, but if you didnt get warranty, whos gonna be the one crying?

Tik-Tok
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by yoda124

real sofa loveseat chair $988

:rofl:

Oh man, if you think you got a good leather set for that price, I've got some bad news for you :rofl:

As for the OP

When my wife and I first moved in together we bought a Couch/Loveseat from United Buy&Sell. They were DIRT cheap, and I honestly didn't think they'd last more than a couple of years before falling apart. Lo and behold, it's been 9 years and they're still in really good shape. We only replaced them as our main couch set this past fall, not because they were worn (as they weren't), but because we wanted something leather, and different colour.

I still can't believe how long they've lasted, and will probably last another 9 years.

JAYMEZ
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Sooo... Where do the pros suggest? I would like to get decent quality and a fair price.. Nothing over the top.. I need two big sectionals and I like modern styling.

Tik-Tok
03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Sooo... Where do the pros suggest? I would like to get decent quality and a fair price.. Nothing over the top.. I need two big sectionals and I like modern styling.

For your ballin' tastes (er... didn't mean it that way). Bondars. We got our sectional Natuzzi there, and love it
(had a link to a black set that was fucking awesome, but it's gone now)

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3131488&highlight=natuzzi#post3131488

core_upt
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Nordesign is awesome!
http://nordesign.ca/

it's more $$ than a lot of places, but higher quality stuff and experienced sales people, not just high school dropouts and career swindlers. They sell Ekornes stuff, which is gorgeous.

They have their main showroom and then a clearance section to the left of the showroom where stuff is more reasonably priced.

Also, Natuzzi isn't as great as they claim to be - tons of quality issues that vary depending on where the piece was actually made, and more and more of it is made in China now.

r3ccOs
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Thomasville still make some very decent leather goods... pricer than Lazboy, and I don't think any more flexable on materials or designs.

Lexington & Stanley also make some very nice bedroom pieces

Graham_A_M
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
http://www.nasource.com/html/Sofas.html

KLCC
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I am surprised no body mentioned ROCHE BOBOIS? Their quality is top notched......

JAYMEZ
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I should mention these need to with stand a doberman and a pitbull.. and the scariest of them all.. a weiner dog.

r3ccOs
03-10-2010, 02:24 PM
mcarthurs is also very nice