PDA

View Full Version : Renovation - Reasonable Quote?

stealth
02-27-2010, 12:08 AM
So I have a small living room, that I installed laminate in. About 250-300 sqft and a small hallway.

The thing is I had two small sections left to install laminate, and install all the old baseboards in the whole living room, and adjust the laminate so that the baseboards would cover the gap between the wall. The areas left were about 3 ft X2 ft each for the laminate.

I didn't have time to finish it, so I called a guy to do it, and wanted it done in one day.

He quoted me initially 1000, and said he would do it for 900.

I got him down to $700, which I still think is expensive, considering the job should be done in a few hours.

Is this reasonable considering it is a small job? He said it would be cheaper if it was over 2-3 days.

The place is in Ft. McMurray, but I still feel ripped off. The reason I went with him, is because I had him come check the job out at 10pm, and he was willing to do it the next morning.

Wrinkly
02-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah - that does sound a bit steep for what you describe. Half a day (4/5) hours even at $50 per hour, which is high; is only $250 (assuming you have most of the materials?)

Kloubek
02-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, you installed the laminate. So you should have a pretty good idea of how long a job like this should take. Assuming it would take 8 hours (since apparently it can be done in one day), in order for it to cost that, he would be paid almost $100 an hour.

Does that seem reasonable to you, when it is about what brain surgeons make?

A little math goes a long way...

stealth
02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Yea, I told him I was only expecting 500-600. Even considering the "higher" Ft. Mac pricing.

To me personally it seemed like an easy job, the only thing that could of been time consuming was the baseboards, and spacing them properly to cover gaps, where I had the laminate spaced out too far from the wall.

I was left in a situation, where I needed it finished ASAP.

Wrinkly
02-27-2010, 01:20 AM
You need an expansion gap between the wall and your flooring anyway. What is usually done to resolve this, is some quarter round trim is added over the top of the gap up against the baseboard and then painted to match the baseboard.

project240
02-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by stealth
I had him come check the job out at 10pm, and he was willing to do it the next morning.

I would find someone else based on this alone. I used to do a lot of renovations and still do do some, but I was always busy. Very rarely would I be available for any job the next day, let alone the next week.

The fact he can start asap usually means one of two things. He could just conveniently be available due to job cancellation or being slow... or others have seen his work and nobody wants to hire him.

Most of the times it's the latter... Truth is, you usually have to be willing to wait a week or two or longer for a good contractor.

stealth
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
You need an expansion gap between the wall and your flooring anyway. What is usually done to resolve this, is some quarter round trim is added over the top of the gap up against the baseboard and then painted to match the baseboard.

Yea that is one option, but a properly done job should be done without the use of quarter round.

Nigel Mansell
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Pay the man. I work in Fort McMurray and I'd quote you twice that price. People in Calgary have NO idea what things are like in Fort Mac. It is a different world up there altogether.

TomcoPDR
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Nigel Mansell
Pay the man. I work in Fort McMurray and I'd quote you twice that price. People in Calgary have NO idea what things are like in Fort Mac. It is a different world up there altogether.

:werd: or just do the work yourself.

Price value is such a subjective issue. Also, does this installer have reference, proof of good work, etc... (IMO, if someone doesn't do good work, it doesn't matter TO ME how cheap he/she is; unless it's on a rental house)