PDA

View Full Version : Should fat asses be required to purchase 2 seats? (air travel)

TomcoPDR
02-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Recently I had a not so lucky flying experience.

There was a newfie on the window seat, then myself on the alse... just when you think everything's going smooth, a third person comes along to fill the middle seat... But with my luck, what do you know, she's not a "light" lady to say the less.

Let me ensure people that I'm not prejudice against "fat people"... in fact, I think there're some pretty hot BBW out there... If the mood is right, with the right person, I got's no problem hittin' that juicy double... Just so everyone's clear I'm not an asshole.

BUT...

So I got up from my seat to let the bigger lady into her middle seat, she gets settled, and what do you know she RAISES THE ARM REST BAR between her seat and mine... I have never felt so squished in my life, my kidneys were about to explode.

Anyways, we mutually agreed and hoped that there'd be an empty seat for 1 of us to move, luckily there was.

But I mean to what point are bigger people required to legally purchase 2 seats... I mean even if it were Sir Mix-A-Lot, I guarantee y'all he'd still eject it, to reject it, ain't no matter how that arse is projected.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/biglady.jpg

Wrinkly
02-27-2010, 03:33 AM
I agree - they should...............but where do you draw the line? At what point is one considered fat enough to need two seats? You have to set the bar somewhere right? One person is a pound or inch under, one over - but they're gonna look pretty similar.

Tough one, but yeah - I hate being squashed too.

Ha - wonder what would happen if three fatties were all booked in the same row? It would actually be impossible for them all to fit :rofl: :rofl:

vietdood
02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
z74EqQfWMUA

Hell yea. They should bring out the scale and tape measurer

Mibz
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
The rule on Southwest, and I imagine other airlines, is that if you can't comfortably lower the armrest, you require two seats.

ekguy
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I definitely think people should buy two seats if they are obese. People out there seem to try and make it into a genetic thing, a thyroid thing, never a "I hate myself to 400 pounds thing".

People who are grossly overweight are that weight because of the way they eat and nothing more. Sure some medications might help speed it along or what not, but they still have to eat the food to gain the weight no matter what.

BigMass
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree to a point. However i feel that in general the seats are too small as is the inexistent leg room. Make the seats bigger and give us more space then if you still can’t fit into that then you need to pay for what you use.

msommers
02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Fit 3 fatties in the row and ask if they need more room.

03ozwhip
02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
BBW? big black women?? i never knew Tom! also im prejudice against them, call me shallow but i think its disgusting....if you can smell their sweat, you know theyre too fat.

Kardon
02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Fat people are disgusting, what the fuck is the matter with them? How can they continue to eat when they become that much an eyesore to society?

Barking_Spidre
02-27-2010, 04:43 PM
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/director-kevin-smith-kicked-off-plane-for-being-too-fat/35864?nc

Hahaha, there you go!

03ozwhip
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
the other thing is that if they had to pay a premium and they flew alot, that would be some inspiration to lose some weight, no?

TomcoPDR
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
BBW? big black women??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman

Thanks to this incident and thread, this song is now stuck in my head :banghead:

wPCfdzyRJus

max_boost
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh hell yeah! haha

sr20s14zenki
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Wasnt there a big hubbub lately about Kevin Smith? He's hardly "obese" but i guess an airline kicked him off. I think the rule is if you dont fit comfortably between the armrests, you are too fat and need to pay for two seats.

BS about the kevin smith thing tho, come on...

http://burgsworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/kevin-smith-superbad-movie-premiere-arrivals-0bj2cd.jpg

seriously?

Barking_Spidre
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Wasnt there a big hubbub lately about Kevin Smith? He's hardly "obese" but i guess an airline kicked him off. I think the rule is if you dont fit comfortably between the armrests, you are too fat and need to pay for two seats.

BS about the kevin smith thing tho, come on...

http://burgsworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/kevin-smith-superbad-movie-premiere-arrivals-0bj2cd.jpg

seriously?

I just linked that 3 posts ago :P

Amysicle
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree pay more if they can't fit in one seat, but the line has to be drawn somewhere first. Otherwise what's going to stop an airline from making their seats smaller and smaller until "normal" sized people find it difficult to fit in a seat and are forced to purchase two seats as well?

I'm pretty tiny and I've been on planes that I thought were horribly cramped. I couldn't imagine what a normal sized person would have felt like on those trips.

403ep3
02-27-2010, 06:53 PM
yup

Kardon
02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
2 fattys on beyond so far :poosie:

rage2
02-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Kevin Smith bought 2 seats like he usually does. He tried to get on an earlier flight with only 1 empty seat, they boarded him and kicked him off. He made a big deal about it.

topmade
02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I voted HELL YES, but if they charge for two seats is there like a big ass pillow or something they give them so they can "comfortably" sit using both seats? Or do they just sit on both seats with the crack of the asses in the middle?

ryder_23
02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I had to fly 8hrs to switzerland between 2 heffers who didn't speak a sliver of english. Flight was full, no one would move. Worst experience of my life.

D. Dub
02-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
z74EqQfWMUA

Hell yea. They should bring out the scale and tape measurer

The problem I see though is that some people are just "big" -- The guy in the video above is like two heads higher than anyone else in the plane. Even if he had a BF of 10% he would still be huge -- how is that fair for him to have to pay more?!?!?!

psycoticclown
02-28-2010, 02:57 PM
^^It's because he's sitting on the armrest...

D. Dub
02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Even on the armrest which I don't think he is --- he is a head taller than everyone on the plane

How about a guy that's 6 ft 9 and is 275 and fit?!?! Is it fair for him to pay more?

89s1
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Make all the fat people on the flight sit in the same rows.

Because 2 hours later when they were all sweaty and chaffed they would simply pay the extra the next time.

or lose some weight... :thumbsup:

JNeil
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
How can anybody even argue this?

Obesity is a problem, if we start making fat people's lives easier than more people are going to be fat..

Fatties need to be punished into changing their lifestyle and losing some weight. I would bet less than 1 out of 100 fat people ACTUALLY have a medical problem that makes them that size.

For example, if I'm a ten year old child having a hissy fit because I want some candy and my mom always buys me candy do you think I'm ever going to stop having hissy fits?

No.

If a fat person is fat and complaining about seat size we need to say "shutup and lose some weight" or people will continue to become larger and larger until we all explode!!!!

B20EF
02-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Even on the armrest which I don't think he is --- he is a head taller than everyone on the plane

How about a guy that's 6 ft 9 and is 275 and fit?!?! Is it fair for him to pay more?

He is 100% sitting on the armrest. Someone who is 6'9" wouldn't have nearly as big of a problem as someone 5'9" - 500lbs.

D. Dub
02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
My point is --- How about a guy that's 6 ft 9 and is 275 and fit?!?! Is it fair for him to pay more?

B20EF
02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I was saying a guy who is 6'9" 275 is better proportioned and would fit, however; if he doesn't than yes I think he should pay more.

D. Dub
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
...and you should pay more than a woman who is 5 ft 1 and 95 pounds too...

Right?

03ozwhip
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
^^^that makes no sense at all. i think oversize people fat or just big bastards should pay extra. how could you say that an average size person should have to pay more than a less than average size person?

they fit properly in the seats dont they? thats what the argument is, if they fit, cool, if not pay for 2.

Shunsui
02-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Obviously in this case the guy should have bought two seats because he inconveniences everyone around him.

Rat Fink
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM

Crymson
02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2009/05/05/fat-bench_zan9d_6648.jpg

CHICHARITZHI
02-28-2010, 10:56 PM
the airlines should provide a seat designed for fat people not to pay for 2 seats and for tall people should have designated place to seat just like closer to the door exit ..

LongCity
02-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
...and you should pay more than a woman who is 5 ft 1 and 95 pounds too...

Right?

Uhhh... right...

Canmorite
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Don't make it easier for them.

"Why am I only allowed 45 lbs in luggage, while fat ass has 45 lbs in each tit?"

it doesn't make any sense for the regular passengers. Charge by weight, or let me take more pounds in luggage.

CUG
03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Don't make it easier for them.

"Why am I only allowed 45 lbs in luggage, while fat ass has 45 lbs in each tit?"

it doesn't make any sense for the regular passengers. Charge by weight, or let me take more pounds in luggage. You say that from the comfort of being light as a feather. I'm a bigger dude, definitely not a fucking walrus like some of these dudes. I have no problem fitting between the arm rests. I gave him an rib-rub with my elbow that I'm sure he still hasn't forgotten about.

That said,

I did get parked beside a fatass mofo who was 400lbs and commanded the respect of his adjacent passengers. Yeah, no. He gets one armrest, I get the other twp, the other guy gets the end one.

Also, people who think that because they got seated first, means they get both arm-rests is even funnier. I'm going to be a lot more forward next time I fly in coach. I couldn't remember what it was like because every time I've flown in the last year (save for one) I got cheap business upgrades.

TKRIS
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I think the "comfortably lower the armrest" is an excellent method. I'm also not paying for flights by the pound, since weight is much more relevant than volume in an aircraft. I'm not a small guy by any stretch, but fair is fair.

The pompous retards who think it's their duty to get people to lose weight are ridiculous. How about you mind your business? Like everyone's going to magically trim down to 12% body fat because they have to pay a couple hundred bucks more per year in air fair. :rofl:

JfuckinC
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
6'9" 275, your shits spread upwards at least, you don't spill over into other peoples space. i'm 6'5" 255 and i fit in airplanes? and i got wide ass shoulders too. My legs are jammed against the seat ahead of me and i stick out like a sore thumb, but i fit? :dunno:

I don't see whats pompous tkris? its pretty fucking selfish for a fat fuck to buy a single and then ruin someone else flight.

TKRIS
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
As I clearly stated, I have no problem with that on the grounds of accommodating everyone, but the running sentiment that we should do things like this to punish fat people into losing weight is arrogant and stupid.

Not wanting to get squished is one thing. Thinking it's your duty or jurisdiction to regulate how other people live their lives is quite another.

scat19
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Install treadmills in the isle. See how well they get to their seat. Probably won't be so nimble.

TomcoPDR
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by scat19
Install treadmills in the isle. See how well they get to their seat. Probably won't be so nimble.

I can't even imagine how they turn around in the lavatory

Canmorite
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Not wanting to get squished is one thing. Thinking it's your duty or jurisdiction to regulate how other people live their lives is quite another.

True, and I don't want to regular their lives. But how is it fair that an airline charges by weight for luggage, yet not for people?

I think if fuel costs rise and stay elevated, some airlines may charge a base price for a seat, then charge people over a certain weight limit a $/lb surcharge. Makes sense to me :dunno:

max_boost
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
6'9" 275, your shits spread upwards at least, you don't spill over into other peoples space. i'm 6'5" 255 and i fit in airplanes? and i got wide ass shoulders too. My legs are jammed against the seat ahead of me and i stick out like a sore thumb, but i fit? :dunno:

I don't see whats pompous tkris? its pretty fucking selfish for a fat fuck to buy a single and then ruin someone else flight.

No wonder everyone was only up to your shoulders at MIA this past weekend hahaha

TKRIS
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

True, and I don't want to regular their lives. But how is it fair that an airline charges by weight for luggage, yet not for people?

I think if fuel costs rise and stay elevated, some airlines may charge a base price for a seat, then charge people over a certain weight limit a $/lb surcharge. Makes sense to me :dunno:

Yep, and if you'd have read my post, you'd have seen that it makes sense to me as well.

EDIT: NVM. My initial post was poorly presented.
I do not have a problem with paying by weight.

Kennyredline
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
I think the "comfortably lower the armrest" is an excellent method. I'm also not paying for flights by the pound, since weight is much more relevant than volume in an aircraft. I'm not a small guy by any stretch, but fair is fair.

The pompous retards who think it's their duty to get people to lose weight are ridiculous. How about you mind your business? Like everyone's going to magically trim down to 12% body fat because they have to pay a couple hundred bucks more per year in air fair. :rofl:
I like nothing more than minding my own business on a flight, but it's hard to do when someone's fat is dribbling over my leg/armrest.

Tomaz
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I hate to say that airlines might eventually be forced to make policies that put restrictions on weight and size limitations. The world is becoming a fatter place.

As much as I hate to talk about it, but my mother is not the smallest of ladies (even though you lost 100+ lbs now! Congrats mom!). That being said, purchasing an economy seat on an airplane is as uncomfortable to her as it is to others. She now only buys business or first class seats. It work out well! :)

TKRIS
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

I like nothing more than minding my own business on a flight, but it's hard to do when someone's fat is dribbling over my leg/armrest.

Once again: I agree. You have every right to request that a person too fat to fit into a seat pay for 2 seats.
If you're complaining because you don't want to be uncomfortable, that's legitimate. If you think we should make fatty's pay as punishment for being fat and to try to get them to lose weight, that's fucking stupid.
"Why" you believe something is often as important as "what" it is.
I would also note that, for many people, the "pay by the pound" would end up being a wash, especially if the amount of room you go was somewhat proportional to the amount you paid.
Paying full fare for my 30lbs daughter seems like a ripoff to me. If I paid a bit more, and got a bit more room, I'd be happy. But I'm nowhere near fat enough to need 2 seats.

bituerbo
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm 6'4 285lbs.
I can comfortable lower the armrest... but my fuckin shoulders extend into half the seat on either side. I usually book smart to keep a spare seat beside me, as far back as I can and an aisle seat, where the window seat has been taken already and nobody is in the middle. Planes are filled front-to-back when you check in without choosing a seat. It works 90% of the time, but I've had some uncomfortable experiences before.