PDA

View Full Version : BMW guys

Jetta-2.0
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, so soon im going to be driving a 1997 BMW 328i after getting the car and replacing the steering wheel and the ignition and things that where missing in the car.
I have noticed something about the muffler, I turned the car on and only one side of the muffler is working :nut: I looked in the other pipe of the muffler and it is closed by a leaver kinda thing and I was wonder what is that for? will it open when the car is gunned hard? or going at a faster speed? thanks

luxor
03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
Hey guys, so soon im going to be driving a 1997 BMW 328i after getting the car and replacing the steering wheel and the ignition and things that where missing in the car.
I have noticed something about the muffler, I turned the car on and only one side of the muffler is working :nut: I looked in the other pipe of the muffler and it is closed by a leaver kinda thing and I was wonder what is that for? will it open when the car is gunned hard? or going at a faster speed? thanks

Flap will open as soon as you drive. The purpose of that flap is to reduce idle noise coming from the exhaust. You can disable that flap by pulling off the vacuum line attached to the muffler and stick a plug into it. This is also called the "golf tee mod." The "mod" however, probably won't give you any hp gains, just makes your muffler throatier sounding.

scat19
03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
He's right ^.

However, you'll only notice it during cold start or parking lot driving. If that.

97'Scort
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
And that's only if the actuator still works. They frequently dont.

I prefer using a bit of silicone to plug off the line rather than a golf tee, but that's just me :)

Jetta-2.0
03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I see thanks guys:closed: