PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Ottawa thru my lens

Manimillion
12-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Behind the Parliment Hill
http://www.chaudtight.com/mani/1.jpg

Looking at the Parliment from the McKenzie bridge
http://www.chaudtight.com/mani/2.jpg

The Supreme Court of Canada (one of my fav. structures in Ottawa)
http://www.chaudtight.com/mani/3.jpg

Looking at the Alexandria bridge from the Parliment Hill
http://www.chaudtight.com/mani/4.jpg

davidI
12-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Those are deadly pictures! Wow, what do you use as far as eqpt. goes?

Manimillion
12-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Those are deadly pictures! Wow, what do you use as far as eqpt. goes?

A broken tripod with a Canon G2... Will get a DSLR camera very soon ... :clap: Thanks for the comment :)

danricenguyen
12-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Those are some postcard quality pics! I love scenerey pictures, keep up the good work!

ShOwOfF
12-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by danricenguyen
Those are some postcard quality pics! I love scenerey pictures, keep up the good work!

:werd: I thought they were postcards.

Moonracer
12-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Nice pics, were you using a star filter?

Manimillion
12-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Nice pics, were you using a star filter?

What is a star filter? :dunno:

I didn't use any filters at all... On the 2nd shot I just set the white balancing settings to tungsten since there was alot of yellow lights around. :devil:

Moonracer
12-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by DevilOnWheelz

What is a star filter? :dunno:

I didn't use any filters at all... On the 2nd shot I just set the white balancing settings to tungsten since there was alot of yellow lights around. :devil:

lol I was just asking because of the way the lights have some spiking (so to speak) coming from them. A star filter gives you this effect but it's usually more exagerated than in your pics. Although they can be made less exagerated using a smaller aperature, that's what I thought you may have done....lol I'll shut up now. :D

Manimillion
12-01-2003, 11:45 PM

lol I was just asking because of the way the lights have some spiking (so to speak) coming from them. A star filter gives you this effect but it's usually more exagerated than in your pics. Although they can be made less exagerated using a smaller aperature, that's what I thought you may have done....lol I'll shut up now. :D

U said it the other way around... A bigger apreture (smaller opening) will make the lights more like a star... Look out the window and try to find a light source, close your eyes, and leave a very little opening for you to just see the light source, and you will see the lights as a star too... :) :angel:

Moonracer
12-02-2003, 12:09 AM

U said it the other way around... A bigger apreture (smaller opening) will make the lights more like a star... Look out the window and try to find a light source, close your eyes, and leave a very little opening for you to just see the light source, and you will see the lights as a star too... :) :angel:

Yes I know that...:rolleyes: but my point was something different. And btw a bigger aperature would mean a smaller number not a smaller opening. :D
The funny thing is, you origionally didn't know what a star filter was.:confused:

szw
12-02-2003, 12:14 AM
i feel like i've seen these exact pictures before. strange.

Manimillion
12-02-2003, 08:00 AM

Yes I know that...:rolleyes: but my point was something different. And btw a bigger aperature would mean a smaller number not a smaller opening. :D
The funny thing is, you origionally didn't know what a star filter was.:confused:

What the numbers in the aperature means how big the shutter opens... Bigger apreture number, smaller opening, smaller apreture number bigger the opening... And sorry I do not use filters and forgive my ignorance for not knowing the filter you are talking about.... :rolleyes:

/////AMG
12-02-2003, 08:08 AM
damn, nice pics man:thumbsup:

Moonracer
12-02-2003, 08:26 AM

What the numbers in the aperature means how big the shutter opens... Bigger apreture number, smaller opening, smaller apreture number bigger the opening... And sorry I do not use filters and forgive my ignorance for not knowing the filter you are talking about.... :rolleyes:

rofl: Sorry dude but to continue this friendly discussion....
Aperature is not how "big the shutter opens", the shutter is a completely different divice. The aperature is in the lens and the smaller the number the larger the aperature becomes. For example: an opening of f22 is far smaller than f2.8.
Anyway, no disrespect intended just photo talk. :D

Dj_Stylz
12-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Great pictures

Manimillion
12-02-2003, 08:36 AM

rofl: Sorry dude but to continue this friendly discussion....
Aperature is not how "big the shutter opens", the shutter is a completely different divice. The aperature is in the lens and the smaller the number the larger the aperature becomes. For example: an opening of f22 is far smaller than f2.8.
Anyway, no disrespect intended just photo talk. :D

Here is some more info for your friendly discussion...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/camera2.jpg
The plates in the iris diaphragm fold in on each other to shrink the aperture and expand out to make it wider.

"In the last section, we saw that you need to carefully control the film's exposure to light, or your picture will come out too dark or too bright. So how do you adjust this exposure level? You have to consider two major factors:

-How much light is passing through the lens
-How long the film is exposed

To increase or decrease the amount of light passing through the lens, you have to change the size of the aperture -- the lens opening. This is the job of the iris diaphragm, a series of overlapping metal plates that can fold in on each other or expand out. Essentially, this mechanism works the same way as the iris in your eye -- it opens or closes in a circle, to shrink or expand the diameter of the lens. When the lens is smaller, it captures less light, and when it is larger, it captures more light.

Quoted from How Stuff Works : http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/camera6.htm and here is the link
:devil:

And yes, I didn't say the right thing about saying its how big the shutter opens, I was trying to explain the diaphram but I donno why I said the shutter...

Moonracer
12-02-2003, 08:57 AM

Here is some more info for your friendly discussion...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/camera2.jpg
The plates in the iris diaphragm fold in on each other to shrink the aperture and expand out to make it wider.

"In the last section, we saw that you need to carefully control the film's exposure to light, or your picture will come out too dark or too bright. So how do you adjust this exposure level? You have to consider two major factors:

-How much light is passing through the lens
-How long the film is exposed

To increase or decrease the amount of light passing through the lens, you have to change the size of the aperture -- the lens opening. This is the job of the iris diaphragm, a series of overlapping metal plates that can fold in on each other or expand out. Essentially, this mechanism works the same way as the iris in your eye -- it opens or closes in a circle, to shrink or expand the diameter of the lens. When the lens is smaller, it captures less light, and when it is larger, it captures more light.

Quoted from How Stuff Works : http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/camera6.htm and here is the link
:devil:

And yes, I didn't say the right thing about saying its how big the shutter opens, I was trying to explain the diaphram but I donno why I said the shutter...

Thanks for the link but I already know all that crud...lol been shooting pics for about 15yrs+ :tongue: Nuff said, I won't bug you anymore about it. Keep shooting the nice pics! :)

rice_eater
12-02-2003, 01:58 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

DJ Glue_gun
12-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Thoes are great pics, reminds me of home. Love your pics man, I see them the odd time on opc.ca keep up the good work