PDA

View Full Version : Bulge in battery?

2EFNFAST
03-01-2010, 02:45 AM
I keep a spare motomaster battery for testing my wiring and general stuff in the corner on a wooden board - I picked it up today and noticed that one side of it was bulged out.

It's not a super huge bulge, but if you run your hand along the side it's definately noticeable/feelable.

Does this mean I should throw it out?

Redlyne_mr2
03-01-2010, 03:17 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a test battery after all.

97'Scort
03-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Did it freeze?

Unknown303
03-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

2EFNFAST
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a test battery after all.

I just don't want it to explode randomly ..... searching tells me it might be from freezing, overcharging (unlikely, never re-charged) or leaking inside

Originally posted by 97'Scort
Did it freeze?

No different conditions than any of my other batteries in the garage, but it was in the garage when it was -50 outside. However, I'd have to say not because I could have sworn the last time i used it (3weeks ago) there was no bulge

97'Scort
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Dunno then. To be safe I'd get rid of it. Process of elimination in your list there says it's leaking, which isn't good.

nobb
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
It's probably bad. Even if it works now, the plates might be warped or they might short circuit in the future some time.

Was it discharged? You can store a fully charged battery in -50C no problem, but if the battery has been discharged, then the electrolyte turns from sulfuric acid to water and has a higher freezing point.

Unknown303
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd just like to clarify that my post was a joke and that in no way I'd actually recommend that.

On a serious note then in an attempt to reclaim my 1%. If it looks physically different on the outsides I would definitely say something can happened inside to cause it. Unless it was stored near something that may have partially melted the outside.

In closing, get rid of the battery before something much worse than a bulge occurs.

toastgremlin
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
You could go to the fire station and ask the person on duty about it - if they say it's crap you can dispose of it safely right there.

A new battery is a lot cheaper than whatever might happen as a result of internal damage.

Pollywog
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Only two things make a battery bulge, extreme cold or extreme heat. Either way, its going to seep battery acid eventually anyways, so you might as well get rid of it. You can drop off batteries you don't want to Napa or similar where they can get recycled appropriately.

corsvette
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Get rid of it! I had a battery in the shop explode on me last week.....no fun at all.It got overcharged to the point that it was warm, i let it cool down overnight and noticed a slight bulge the next day.I tested it with a load tester,and came out 100%,i went on to charge a battery it was sitting next to,and a spark from the charger lead set it off,quite the bang and a mess,just not worth keeping a suspect battery.