PDA

View Full Version : Duty on alcohol from US to Canada

yeahyeah
03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Spent the weekend in montana, was under the presumption that for every extra ounce of hard alcohol it was .50 cents, but we get to the border and hit up the duty/tax free store thats there and the woman there says it's 1 dollar for every extra ounce you're over so basically buying a 40 of something would cost an extra 40 bucks on top of what you're paying for the booze, so I was like that's mega lame!

Anyone know off hand that it is indeed a dollar an ounce now? It's just weird because like a year and a half ago I had gone backpacking and came back with a ton of rum and only had to pay 50 bucks and i had wayyyy more than just one 40. I googled it but all the websites just say the same 'you can bring back 24 beer or 1 40 ouncer' and are no help.

Thanks

RX_EVOLV
03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
holy crap is it that much?? I remember 2 years ago I came back from US ( I think Vegas?) and bought back three bottles ( so 2 L over limits).

I ended up paying like $16 duty I think :dunno:

definitly wasn't $80!

Tik-Tok
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Which border did you cross? BC and Alberta have different booze taxations.

Edit: BC is 10% flat rate, AB is "about $3.00 per 750ml bottle of wine; Approx. $7.30 per 750ml bottle of spirits."

spike98
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Yesturday i flew from mexico to regina (direct) and we purchased the following:

1 x 10 Pack carton of Malboro Reds
1 x 1L Absolute Raspberry Vodka
1 x 1L Absolute Vodka
1 x 1L Mexican brand Coconut Rum

I paid $69 US at the duty free in mexico.

At customs canada i claimed 1L of booze and the carton. I had to pay $15 CDN health tax on the smokes. Nothing on the booze

Girlfriend claimed 2L of booze and paid $17.50 CDN in tax and duty on 0.86L of the booze she claimed over the allowed 1.14L

That works out to about $1 per ounch i think.

yeahyeah
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Hmm I see, lame sauce if it is a $1 an ounce.

I crossed over at the Roosville port, it's just south of Fernie a bit

tom_9109
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I just went down for the day and paid. 6 bucks per 24 flat of beer plus GST.

I think its around 12 dollars per 40oz bottle of booze.

You're allowed a maximum of 45.45Litres of Beer/Alcohol/wine Total.

60 oz of Crown royal was around 48-50 bucks after all said and done.
60 Oz of Wisers was 42-45ish.

You can buy 12 bottles of 'bar' booze for 6.50 a peice. works out to 18ish per 40oz.

This is all at sweetgrass, MT

interesting thing, bought 24 flat of Miller chill and they came to under 25 all said. Thats half the price here.

2002civic
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109

interesting thing, bought 24 flat of Miller chill and they came to under 25 all said. Thats half the price here.

Ya booze in the states is dirt cheap, a buck per beer is standard for BLL and corona, we got a 60 of Grey goose for 40 bucks US

tom_9109
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic

Ya booze in the states is dirt cheap, a buck per beer is standard for BLL and corona, we got a 60 of Grey goose for 40 bucks US

that $25 a flat includes the 6ish bucks to cross the border.

yeahyeah
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Well then it seems I got hosed at my border crossing as I paid $34 US for a 40 of Grey goose and the woman said any other 40's would cost an additional $40 in duty, lame.

seadog
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I've asked three separate times at three separate crossings because I didn't believe it the first two times. Each one said the same thing, a little over a dollar per ounce.

oilerfan4lyfe
09-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry to bump the thread...if I'm reading this right, bringing two 60s of something would cost me about $60 in duty? That's fricken nuts...doesn't even make it worth it.

Does it matter if I live in Alberta but fly in through Ontario? Would they make me pay PST or some crazy shit like that?

Mitsu3000gt
09-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Every time I have arrived to Canada via plane, I am honest about my over-the-limit booze and they have let it slide every time so far.

Hi-Psi
09-16-2010, 10:36 PM
I never claim my extra liquor. I usually bring 2-3 40's back with me everytime I come home and so far have never had any issues.

And just for the record, all the duty and fees info is posted on the government Canada website.

oilerfan4lyfe
09-18-2010, 08:55 AM
^^ I'm not going to risk not claiming it...not worth the hassle...plus I look like someone that they would probably "randomly" search anyways

I also couldn't find anything on the government's website about what the fees are if you exceed the limit...but maybe I'm blind. From what I read, it just said to contact the provincial liquor authority for fees.

I found this on the AGLC website:

Q: How much would I expect to pay if I had wine or spirits?
A: You will expect to pay approx. $3.00 per 750ml bottle of wine; Approx. $7.30 per 750ml bottle of spirits. (These amounts are exclusive of G.S.T.)

I'm still waiting to hear back on what it costs if you land in Ontario - apparently you pay in the province that you land in, regardless of where your ultimate destination or actual residence is.

Tik-Tok
09-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Every time I have arrived to Canada via plane, I am honest about my over-the-limit booze and they have let it slide every time so far.

Yeah, they let it slide a lot of the time. Depends on the guy, or their mood I guess.

When we crossed in August, we had 24 bottles of wine. The guy laughed and asked if we were in California, which we were, and let us through without having to pay duty.

Muji
09-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Often it depends on the person trying to bring over the booze, if you look pissy or douche, you will pay more as the officer goes right by the book. Not saying you are or are not, ask a real friend they might tell you. I had a Sask Rider licence plate on the front of my vehicle, the officer was a fanboy, waved me through after a few minutes of CFL football talk. Was not interested in collecting the duty, etc and there was plenty to collect.

Drive something which does not piss people off who have dead boring jobs, do not roll up thinking they owe you something (anal cavity search is all they owe you), take off the sunglasses, turn the music off, and for F sakes answer Yes Sir, No Sir. Not that hard really.