PDA

View Full Version : Good bare-bones treadmills?

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I am looking for a treadmill but don't really care about all the computer programs, LED lights, screens, etc. Just looking for quality hardware, speed control, and incline control. Anything else likely won't be used.

I searched and found a pretty good treadmill thread already but it didn't really address my question.

The consensus seemed to be go to Fitness Depot and bargain on a Precor treadmill of your choice + their service plan. Is that still the case? Do you pretty much have to pay for all the bells & whistles if you want good hardware? Any other brands worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

King Banana
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Are you set on a treadmill, or could I suggest another machine with similar movement and cardio levels, but without the ground pounding and extra stress on the knees etc?

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by King Banana
Are you set on a treadmill, or could I suggest another machine with similar movement and cardio levels, but without the ground pounding and extra stress on the knees etc?

I'm actually looking for a friend who wants to buy a treadmill ASAP, but it was something I was curious about as well which is why I asked on here. He seems pretty set on a treadmill rather than an elliptical trainer or similar. He lives in a house so noise isn't an issue. He just wants a good, reliable treadmill with high end motors and such, but doesn't care about all the program modes, LCD screens, etc. Just regular running.

For me, I'm debating whether or not to bother getting something because I can use a gym for free. If I did get something, it would likely be an elliptical trainer of some sort like you suggest because I have a bad knee, and for the sake of my downstairs neighbor (I live in a condo). I'm mostly worried that if I bought something, I would go to the gym less and wouldn't be doing weights and such as much.

Thanks.

A790
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'm actually looking for a friend who wants to buy a treadmill ASAP, but it was something I was curious about as well which is why I asked on here. He seems pretty set on a treadmill rather than an elliptical trainer or similar. He lives in a house so noise isn't an issue. He just wants a good, reliable treadmill with high end motors and such, but doesn't care about all the program modes, LCD screens, etc. Just regular running.
"High end motors and such" usually come with the computer/LCD screens/etc. Bite the bullet, buy a good one, and only have to buy it once. A good Precor 9.23 could probably be done for $2,000 out the door with the right rep. It will last a hell of a long time and won't cause too many issues. Well worth the money if it will get used.

Khyron
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Depends how big the person is and how fast they're going to run.

I have an ironman brand from Costco that was 999, normally almost 2K with 3hp. I don't use the programs I just set time and speed and go. My other option was the Precor silver from Fitness depot or the Sole 63 or 80 - they get really good reviews and are factory direct so you avoid the fitness depot markup.

http://treadmillfactory.ca/index.php?goto=manufacturer&company=Sole Fitness

If you're running (ie 10K/hr+) then get at least 2hp.

Mitsu3000gt
03-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys, I will pass the info along.

Quickstrike
03-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I have a Pacemaster Gold Elite that has performed flawlessly for 5+ years.

Gets around 9 miles of wear - 5 times a week. Still going strong with next to zero maintenance; other than the odd vacuum / wipe down.

Been awhile since I have researched treadmills, but Pacemaster was rated quite high when I bought mine.
It has the longer 60" belt, 3 HP, 15% incline, 12mph speed.

Kavy
03-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Bought one of those folding ones from canadian tire about 4 months ago, I run 2 hours 6 days a week and so does the wifey. (I run she "walks aggressively" LOL)

Thing takes a beating and works like day one and only broke the bank at $450.