PDA

View Full Version : fixing garage door in townhome

LUDELVR
03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Just wondering if there is anyone on the boards that knows how to fix a garage door or if you can refer me to one.

The problem is that it's a VERY old unit and it's a single car garage attached to a townhome (actually it's underneath). What happened was there was a ladder that was left in the path when the door was closing and it got caught underneath and the door tried to close on it causing the cables to wrap around the axle that goes across as well as shift the track. Now it doesn''t go up smoothly if a all and gets caught. Anyway, need some help fixing this thing.

Any help would be sweet as!

cheers.

Cos
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
what cables are wrapped up? I cant picture this in my head quite yet.

topmade
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
^^ I'm thinking the cables that attach from the springs to the side of the bottom panels to help raise it. It's common for older wooden doors because they are heavy as hell.

Best to get a garage door repair man cause the spring may need to be re-wound and if you don't know what you're doing, it can be VERY dangerous.

Cos
03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by topmade
^^ I'm thinking the cables that attach from the springs to the side of the bottom panels to help raise it. It's common for older wooden doors because they are heavy as hell.

Best to get a garage door repair man cause the spring may need to be re-wound and if you don't know what you're doing, it can be VERY dangerous.

ah that is probably right. Leo if that is your problem, get a guy to do it.

ercchry
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by topmade

:werd:

get a pro, those things are super sketchy to play around with

LUDELVR
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
You guys fucking said it! This thing is so archaic it's not even funny! After I got it to go past the kicked rail, I brought it back down manually and the thing was so damn heavy it came crashing down like a bloody guillotine and and landed with the hugest thud! So glad nothing was under there and you're all right this door is wooden and heavy as hell!

It's shaped kind of lie this with a huge spring on the a bar in the middle that rotates and is achored with thing metal cables on either side that get reeled up on each end:

{}---------------//////////////////--------------{}
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Does that make any sense to anyone? Either way, my other vehicle is stuck in there and I'm driving the S2K and I just got some goodies I need to install but can't get in!!! haha:rofl:

Kartelli
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
YES! Be very careful with the old wooden doors, get a pro to come assess the springs / mechanical workings of the door.

We have an old double garage door, has 2 hefty springs to pull the sucker up. After 25 years of good service one of the springs snapped leaving the door in the closed position. Took 4 guys to lift the door up enough to get the car out.

I couldn't imagine what would happen if it came crashing down, literally would cut something in half.

I'll see if I can find the business card of the company that came out to fix the spring, I'm sure they do full servicing of everything else... was about 4 years ago .

AndyL
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
:angel: I think I can say he's taken care of - don't hunt too hard :D

LUDELVR
03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
:angel: I think I can say he's taken care of - don't hunt too hard :D

haha, yes a HUGE cheers to Andy for coming out 2 times to help me out! Awesome guy and great work! I highly recommend this guy for any of your garage door needs...although he doesn't seem to like beer! ;)

Thanks again mate! I just hope this old piece of shit lasts as long as it can! :rofl:

TomcoPDR
03-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

haha, yes a HUGE cheers to Andy for coming out 2 times to help me out! Awesome guy and great work! I highly recommend this guy for any of your garage door needs...although he doesn't seem to like beer! ;)

Thanks again mate! I just hope this old piece of shit lasts as long as it can! :rofl:

+1, Andy recommended me to a garage door company when I needed one... Great guy

AndyL
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

although he doesn't seem to like beer! ;)
All the empties piled in the garage say different... Damn medicine...

Thanks for the compliments folks :)

Kloubek
03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm glad it has been fixed. But I was going to say - you should check your condo docs. Quite often, doors and windows are considered the corp's responsibility to fix.

AndyL
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Most often the case is - the condo owns the door, but you're responsible for your own maintenance... Was chatting with lude about this; as his door is likely going to need replacement in the next few years.

Kloubek
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
That's totally contradicting Andy. The condo corp has to maintain any common use property. It is totally how the condo docs are written.

At my last townhouse, we were totally responsible for replacement when required. Even if it was caused by the owner, because there was no clause in the docs stating otherwise.

Now, some condo corps are NOT responsible for windows and doors... in which case, he would be SOL.

But Ludelvr: I would strongly encourage you to look over your condo docs to see who's responsibility the bylaws say it is to maintain such things. You might just be entitled to a new one.

AndyL
03-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Telling ya what I see in the real world... Not that I deal with this stuff every day or anything...

Vast majority of the time, repairs/maintenance are owners responsibility...

However at time of replacement - the condo board "owns" the door - and decides what it's to be replaced with etc - to maintain uniformity etc...

One more reason why I'd never live in a condo...