PDA

View Full Version : The Right Price Auto (Calgary): Major Malfunction

Pages : [1] 2

sizerp
03-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Updates to story midway and at the end of the first page.

preface: I know little/nothing about cars

note: I have filled the car with gas and I have added windshield washer fluid (definitely the right hole, since it didn't work before I put the fluid in, and did work after). I haven't touched any of the other fluids in the car, and neither has anybody else. No oil changes, no maintenance, no followup safety. Nobody has touched under the hood except me.

I recently (Jan 19th) bought a 2003 Hyundai Elantra from a shop in Calgary.

They did their own safety on it (they're certified, I suppose), and it was fairly dinged up on the outside but in seemingly decent working order otherwise. They gave me a 2 month drivetrain warranty on the car so long as it wasn't serviced elsewhere.

The car ran fine for a month but in the past week the brake pedal has gotten very stiff on/off. Two days ago my wife was driving the car and the brakes seized up immediately. The check engine light went on and it was throwing two error codes (p1529 and p0734). In the past couple days the car had also been changing gears oddly, and one of those error codes is regarding the transmission slipping from 3rd to 4th, so it made sense. She was about 5 minutes away from home and then was able to drive it back without any further issues.

We arranged to bring it back to the shop in question the next day, and my wife was driving it up when, not two blocks away from home the brakes clamped down partway and she wasn't able to exceed 30 km/h. She pulled off in the nearest parking lot which also happened to have an (expensive/mediocre) shop that wouldn't charge anything to take a look at the braking system. The guys at the shop told her that there was contamination in the brake fluid and all the rubber seals / components in the brake system were done.

I called the shop where we bought the car and after waffling over the problem ("you must have have done it by accident ... do you have any enemies?? ... the guy who changed the oil on your car must have fucked up the fluid change") they told me they'd send a tow truck to pick it up.

The tow truck operator they sent never came. I got called back by the shop today and they told me I'd have to arrange for my own tow.

So, do I have any recourse? I can get the car towed, that's not the end of the world, but I don't know enough about the possible causes of brake fluid contamination to know how to fight claims of 'well, you're an idiot, you must have put gasoline in your master cylinder reservoir!'. This is an expensive repair, and I'm not sure I can afford it on top of having just bought this damned car outright.

Also note, the check engine light has since turned off.

So, how fucked am I?

I appreciate you bearing with my pleading first post

Kloubek
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Edit: You are inside the 2 months.

scat19
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
You bought a Hyundai, this is what happens.

End thread.

sizerp
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Unfortunately, if you did not get it inspected and there is no warranty from the dealership, you're kinda SOL.

Welcome to Beyond.

They totally ARE shafting you though. If nothing else, saying they are sending a tow truck and not doing so would TOTALLY infuriate me.

I have a copy of the dealer/shop's safety inspection from a couple days before I bought it. Does that count for anything from a regulatory standpoint. I doubt it, but I'm throwing things to the wall and hoping I'm not out a couple grand.

Kloubek
03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Hold the boat. I am not good with math apparently. You are inside the 2 month period of warranty - right?

1) I'm sure you did not put anything in the brake lines.

2) They said that you cannot bring it to another shop, but you only did so because the brakes were binding. They were binding before you took it to the shop, so it stands to reason they had nothing to do with causing the issue. It isn't like they changed or fixed anything - they just looked at it.

3) Is there anything in WRITING which indicates you cannot bring it to another shop? If there isn't, then they can jam those words up their asses anyway. But even if there is, the circumstances are not exactly cut and dry.

I'm pretty sure Amvic would be interested in your situation: www.amvic.org

Otherwise, I am quite positive Beyond could generate enough bad publicity that it would be in their best interests to honour their warranty.

You need to check first to see what the warranty will cover. Usually, the "free" warranties are for powertrain only. (Engine/transmission) This might cover the tranny issue, but wouldn't likely cover the brakes.

Redlyne_mr2
03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Do you know what those codes mean? Brake fluid contamination generally won't cause the calipers to seize closed. I would guess that one or more of the calipers needs to be replaced. The codes and the caliper problem are 2 seperate issues, I would deal with the caliper problem first.

canadiandaytona
03-02-2010, 03:54 PM
well the powertrain warranty might cover the tranny shifting problem...get that diagnosed at the reputable shop first and dont fix anything unless thats fixed or you will be out more then a couple grand

benyl
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by scat19
You bought a Hyundai, this is what happens.

End thread.

Spoken like a true BMW owner. Thanks for contributing.

Back on topic:

Get a second opinion. Just cause the first shop said all the seals etc are gone, doesn't mean they are.

Mibz
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Contaminated fluid and bad seals will cause a loss of brakes, not seizing. The only thing I can imagine is that the master cylinder is seized/seizing. That might be what I'd look at. A stiff pedal could also be a vacuum leak to the brake booster, but with the seizing I'd check the MC anyway.

Guaranteed that the codes and the brakes are two separate issues though.

sizerp
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Hold the boat. I am not good with math apparently. You are inside the 2 month period of warranty - right?

1) I'm sure you did not put anything in the brake lines.

2) They said that you cannot bring it to another shop, but you only did so because the brakes were binding. They were binding before you took it to the shop, so it stands to reason they had nothing to do with causing the issue. It isn't like they changed or fixed anything - they just looked at it.

3) Is there anything in WRITING which indicates you cannot bring it to another shop? If there isn't, then they can jam those words up their asses anyway. But even if there is, the circumstances are not exactly cut and dry.

I'm pretty sure Amvic would be interested in your situation: www.amvic.org

Otherwise, I am quite positive Beyond could generate enough bad publicity that it would be in their best interests to honour their warranty.

You need to check first to see what the warranty will cover. Usually, the "free" warranties are for powertrain only. (Engine/transmission) This might cover the tranny issue, but wouldn't likely cover the brakes.

I do have it in writing that I cannot take it to another shop. I don't have the specific wording on hand, but it is a little ambiguous.

I took it to another shop because I thought it would just be a caliper / brake issue, which wouldn't have been covered under my warranty.

I wasn't invoiced by the initial shop though, they were just taking a look, which, if maybe not by the words of the warranty, is still in line with the spirit/reasoning behind the warranty restrictions.

sizerp
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Error codes:

p1529 - TUC Request for MIL on/Freeze To ECM Via CAN
p0734 - 4th gear ratio incorrect / transmission slipping

Mibz
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
P1529 just means that the transmission told the PCM to throw a CEL and the P0734 (Transmission slipping) would be the reason for that. It's in your best interests to have that tranny problem fixed under warranty ASAP.

sizerp
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I took it to the place I originally bought the car - they agreed that all the seals in the braking system were denatured and quoted me $1100 to fix it, warranty nonwithstanding. They also serviced the transmission without my authorization and charged me half its cost (which I willingly paid if only to get my damned keys back to have the car towed out of there ASAP).

I just had the car towed to a private mechanic suggested by a friend who, even if he charges me the same for the repair, I can at least trust not to leave me with work half done or poorly done.

Issues with the seller / mechanic:

- Brake system blew 5 weeks after purchase (unsure the complete depth / cost of this issue yet)
- Transmission issues 5 weeks after purchase
- Claimed they would send me a tow truck and after playing phone tag / sorting things out, told me I had to provide my own towing
- Serviced my transmission 'under warranty' without my authorization, then charged me half the cost of the servicing (presumably because I had someone look at my brake system, and that is somewhat against the terms of the warranty - but then I never authorized work either - they can't have it both ways)
- Accused me of being an idiot and pouring oil in my brake fluid reservoir (probably standard practice at many shops - I admit it, people are stupid)
- After a conversation with one of their mechanics who seemed fairly honest / decent, he promised he'd have the shop owner call my cell and see if any deal could be cut under the circumstances - the only calls I got were asking me to either authorize the work or get my car out of their lot
- They smoke in their shop (disgusting)

Not that anything I can personally do will have much effect at this point, but I will be submitting complaints to the BBB, AMVIC, and Alberta Health & Safety (regarding the smoking). I appreciate the help.

Lets just call this an expensive lesson in how not to buy a car.

Also, the shop is:

The Right Price Auto
5101 20 Avenue Southeast
Calgary, AB T2B 0B1
(403) 248-8830

crapstixs
03-08-2010, 10:56 PM
you have to be carfull with the tranny, hyundia auto trannys are really shitty. there are three death codes. you have one. if i rember corectly there are a bunch of tsb's for it. when you get petorolem products in brake fluid it dosent denature the seals over night, it takes a wile for it to happen. i used to work for a shop like this, the owner tryed to get me to signe blank insurance inspection forms bullshit like that. jump on google print off a bunch of info stating your case. you will have to corner him with facts. threaten and follow through with amvic and bbb complants. keep im mind hes trying to run a business so the more time of his you take up the more he will be willing to fix this.

rob the knob
03-09-2010, 05:12 AM
this place?

http://rightpriceauto.com/index.asp

you should put all info in your top post maybe title

4DoorGTZ
03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
In my opinion sounds like The Right Price Auto (http://rightpriceauto.com/index.asp) does half ass inspections assuming if it shits the bed it will be far enough down the road that the owners wont think to do anything about it 'cuz they bought a used car.

When something like that shows up, long time deterioration of the brake system wich they should have caught in the first place it shows they rushed or never really did much of a thourough inspection. Then when they're caught with their pants down do whatever they can to deny any responsibility.

Might as well be called shady mechanics are us, and I dont think they fit any of the 4 words on their banner at the top of their site.

-Of course thats just my opinion :thumbsdow

Tik-Tok
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Your transmission problem is common on those cars, my brother had the same issue on his Accent, it would keep shifting from 4th (OD) to 3rd, and eventually back again. It was the transmission going into fail-safe mode.

His problem (as is many other hyundais') was the pulse generator B on the transmission, and I believe Hyundai even has a TSB out on it.

Kloubek
03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I guess "The Right Price Auto" was "The Wrong Price Auto" this time around. That is very disappointing to hear. I really don't understand how they could justify charging you half to service a faulty transmission. Or, for that matter, why you would have paid if you never authorized the work.

This seems like a total clusterfuck. I am sorry it happened to you, but you honestly need to grow a bit more backbone. While you are writing to places after the fact, the chances of you getting the compensation you deserve are less than it would have been if you just caused a big stink from the get-go.

Good luck; keep us posted!

2EFNFAST
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Not to be a downer, but I don't really think there's much you can do?

These type of places warranties are usually very sketchy (i.e., sure, entire powertrain warranty, as long as it isn't a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,etc..............).

Also very suspicious with the tranny, but if it were slipping 5-6weeks ago I don't really think there's anything they could have done to hide it from you?

sizerp
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
(all quotes are paraphrases)

Update:

The owner of the shop just called my home late this morning and "spoke" (he was quite aggressive) to my wife. He claimed that a number of folks had let him know about this forum post and that he's going to sue me for slander [sic] and take us for everything we're worth. He also followed up by saying "I know your address (awkward pause) and I'm going to send over the police".

My wife, understandably, called me in tears.

Pleasant folks, no?

urban.one
03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
You should call the police and report the threat. It wont result in action at this point though it will create a record with the police in case anything happens in the near future.

sizerp
03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
You should call the police and report the threat. It wont result in action at this point though it will create a record with the police in case anything happens in the near future.

Already done.

gretz
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
oh boy.... in before shit storm:devil:

Get him on here to clear his shit name...

Kloubek
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
There is no basis for slander. You are simply stating the truth. Slander (and illegal actions) is when you are stating lies as the truth. You are not.

We have dealt with this kind of reaction time and time again on Beyond. People feel concerned over how their reputation will suffer, and resort to making idle threats.

It is a shame that they have opted to take that route as opposed to make the situation right. Such actions make them look shady; they would have been FAR better off coming on here and explaining their side of the story.

As I said, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THEIR THREATS. THEY ARE IDLE.

And since the company is aware of this thread, we know they have the opportunity to tell their side of the story. And we know they are reading this. So Right Price Auto: Please state your case.

RickDaTuner
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sizerp
(all quotes are paraphrases)

Update:

The owner of the shop just called my home late this morning and "spoke" (he was quite aggressive) to my wife. He claimed that a number of folks had let him know about this forum post and that he's going to sue me for slander [sic] and take us for everything we're worth. He also followed up by saying "I know your address (awkward pause) and I'm going to send over the police".

My wife, understandably, called me in tears.

Pleasant folks, no?

Wow I am so very sorry to hear

The only thing that will cause this condition is when you introduce petroleum based products into a brake system. I would take a stab in the dark and say that joe-blow mechanic used gasoline to do a brake flush.
This causes all of the seals to swell about 3 times their normal size and causes a very hard brake pedal, rendering your brakes useless.
Even one tea spoon of engine oil that gets mixed into brake fluid will cause this
Another cause of this condition is if you have some one mixing DOT 3 fluid with DOT 4, OR DOT 5 Full synthetic fluid. This causes the Brake fluid to gel and again cause a hard pedal.

This shop owner can threaten you all he wants, but when you prove that you had warranty and did not perform any kind of repair on your own, he will be the one paying you for new seals and a total line flush.

This is the time where you start to document everything, even if its hand written in a note book.

sizerp
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
The mechanic I spoke to at Right Price told me that it would be a matter of minutes / hours before the seals would swell up and render the brake system useless, and thus why they refused to even consider covering the repairs - they maintained that I must have been responsible for the condition since I'd bought the car 5 weeks prior.

I am not knowledgeable enough to contradict that claim, and I couldn't really find much online, so I couldn't fight it with facts.

RickDaTuner
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
The mechanic I spoke to at Right Price told me that it would be a matter of minutes / hours before the seals would swell up and render the brake system useless, and thus why they refused to even consider covering the repairs - they maintained that I must have been responsible for the condition since I'd bought the car 5 weeks prior.

I am not knowledgeable enough to contradict that claim, and I couldn't really find much online, so I couldn't fight it with facts.

its all truly depends on the amount of Petro-based contamination. me saying overnight is for the most part a blanket statement. What was used, when it was thrown in, how much, and the frequency of your car use speak to the time line. but hours and minutes is not at all accurate. As most if not all mechanics do, he was just looking for a way to cover his ass by telling a half truth.
heck it may have even been a single drop of oil that was allowed to enter the master reseviour, possibly when the oil was being changed. that would make sense as to how long it took to occur

Small shop mechanics are notorious for placing random fluids in emptied brake/oil/anifreeze bottles. it could have happned that way aswell.

sizerp
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
How can I change the title of the thread? Changing the subject in the initial post only changes the title to the post itself.

I would just like to make it a little more descriptive.

Kloubek
03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Just post what you want it to say, and hopefully a mod would be kind enough to change it for you. Unfortunately, you do not have the Power of Greyskull.

sizerp
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I would like the title to be:

"The Right Price Auto (Calgary): Major Malfunction"

Mibz
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Done

sizerp
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Done

Thank you.

Also note, I welcome The Right Price Auto's response to all these issue. If you believe I have my facts wrong on any issue, a poor memory, or am a complete idiot, I would love to address your concerns in writing.

If you don't feel comfortable doing so in a public forum I will respond to snail mail. As you've so tactfully made me aware - you DO have my address.

All love.

Zero102
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
These guys have a bunch of car ads up on Kijiji:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-repairs-maintenance-Out-Of-Province-Inspections-Mechanical-Repairs-Calgary-W0QQAdIdZ174878484

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1996-FORD-ASPIRE-SRS-1-3L-2-DR-HATCH-5SP-STD-SAFETIED-WARRANTY-W0QQAdIdZ176727076

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2000-CHRYSLER-NEON-2-0L-4DR-AUTO-FULLY-SAFETIED-WARRANTY-W0QQAdIdZ182402169

One of them is even for a handibus!
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-1998-FORD-E350-CUTAWAY-5-4L-V8-AUTO-HANDIBUS-SAFETIED-WARRANTY-W0QQAdIdZ174905904

There are WAY more than I linked here. Every single one of the cars in their ads seems sketchy, and offering warranties on ~2k cars that are 15 years old seems even more suspicious (in my opinion).

Kloubek
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
There are WAY more than I linked here. Every single one of the cars in their ads seems sketchy, and offering warranties on ~2k cars that are 15 years old seems even more suspicious (in my opinion).

Of course they offer warranties. Because it appears they don't back them up!

If they are claiming there is oil or gas contamination (or whatever) in the brake lines and transmission, then they are basically calling the OP a liar. Because not even a clueless car owner could mess up a car that bad.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hear this and I hope people become more aware of RPA and to be careful when car shopping with them.

supe
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll remember to not recommend anyone to The Right Price Auto, that is unless they DO THE RIGHT THING

Dilmah
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I won't have any nice words to say about The Right Price Auto to my friends or family either, unless they end up doing the right thing, until then they'll have to accept the bad reviews that they get.
I think it should take about two weeks then they'll do the right thing.

Are you sure you got the name right? because their ad claims

HONEST FRIENDLY RELIABLE STAFF
SHOP LINE: 403 248-8830
SALES LINE: 403 466-7943

nonlinear
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
wow, sorry to hear about your situation man, hope things work out for you

Mostwanted
03-10-2010, 05:06 PM
i had experience with Right Price auto installing a muffler, and wow they were terrible at it, the welds were so bad i dont even think id consider it welding, i dont know how long it usually takes to put a universal muffler in but it took them 3 and half hours.

NEVER again will i go there and ill never recommend anyone to that place

FraserB
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Hahaha, 3.5 hours?!?! What a bunch of hacks, my cat back took 1 hour to install at Calgary Muffler.

adidas
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Ill make sure everyone knows about there great service.

Ill be calling them soon to set up some "test drives"

FraserB
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
OH NO!!! All the people who emailed them are screwed!!

DEAR xxxxxx AND xxxxx,

HONESTLY I CANNOT BELEIVE THE IMMATURITY OF THE WHOLE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ACCUSATIONS ARE NEVER PROOF OF TRUTH, ESPECIALLY BASED ON AN "OPINION" AND SPREADING LIES IS CALLED "SLANDER"
YOU HAVE BEEN UNCOOPERATIVE WITH US NUMEROUS TIMES TO EVEN SETTLE THIS ON A MATURE LEVEL.

I HAVE TRIED TO CALL NUMEROUS TIMES AND YOU ARE NOT EVEN WILLING TO ANSWER YOUR PHONE??????????????

WHY DON'T YOU JUST COPY PASTE THIS ON THE SITE IF YOU DARE FACING THE REAL TRUTH OF THE MATTER.

VERY SINCERELY,
MURIEL @

PS: ALL THE IP ADDRESSES/ EMAILS ARE BEING FORWARDED TO A CASE FILE NUMBERS WITH THE AUTHORITIES

Kloubek
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
IP Addresses? As far as I know, there is no way they are obtaining IP addresses that quickly. That requires some judge intervention. Or perhaps they own the ISP? lol.

Just another example of these guys being asses and blowing smoke instead of dealing with the root of the issue.

I'm still waiting to hear your response, "The Right Price Auto". If you choose not to respond, the users here can only assume that you guys are indeed purposely screwing him around and that you have no defense. You may very well have valid points to his claims, and a good case in your favour. But all I've seen so far is idle threats and ridiculous comments and actions...

StreetRacerX
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Caps Lock: Always a good way to get the point across.

:facepalm:

Good luck man, we're rooting for you!

Mostwanted
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Hahaha, 3.5 hours?!?! What a bunch of hacks, my cat back took 1 hour to install at Calgary Muffler.

yeah they said it was because it was "custom"
never going back there

se7en
03-10-2010, 09:09 PM
ooooo I love threads like this....

I think that "The right Price Auto" is a total scam.

I love the freedom of speech we have here in Canada.

Sounds like they are taking advantage of the OP's lack of car knowledge....

I'd love to have some turd try some shit like that on me :)

OP, YOU ARE BEING WAY TOO NICE ABOUT THIS!!!!

I'd be busting the door down and busting heads.

I hear that used car lots hate it when people smash their shit on their lots ;)

Wrinkly
03-10-2010, 09:30 PM
People that do business this way deserve to go under. If they don't fix this situation for the OP, then I truly hope they do go under.

They obviously have no idea of the sheer power that is beyond.ca

Anyway, I really hope they choose to redeem themselves and take the high ground; make the customer happy and leave a positive impression instead. (ok, yeah - what am I on? :nut: )

benz_890
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I see a class action law suite against beyond soon

Dilmah
03-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I live for threads like this ever since I joined beyond! And freedom of speech in Canada is great, I also think that in my opinion "The right Price Auto" is cheating this guy and needs to make things right and correct their mistake before this thread ends up like some of the others I¡¯ve read about. Maybe "The right Price Auto" will post something here to defend themselves..

I do like the part where they¡¯re recording the IP¡¯s of everyone and starting a case file number, now that scares me, there¡¯s nothing worse then having a case file number with your IP address in it, I wonder how I¡¯m going to sleep tonight!
:dunno:

Dilmah
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by benz_890
Call me stupid, but can you explain this to me...

RickDaTuner
03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by benz_890

One individual accusing a group of people in not class action, class actions work in the opposite of that; A large group of people against one individual or a corporation

Rat Fink
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM

Zero102
03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah
there¡¯s nothing worse then having a case file number with your IP address in it, I wonder how I¡¯m going to sleep tonight!
:dunno:

Hello? Police? I'd like you to visit 192.168.1.201 and arrest them!

(yes I posted a non-public IP on purpose)

rob the knob
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
http://pixhost.ws/avaxhome/2007-09-07/ip.JPG

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 02:17 AM
"Honest, Friendly, Reliable... and Affordable" is the greeting on arrival at their Web site. But, judging by the OP's experience, maybe this video would be a more accurate portrayal of their products and services? :D

X3V5ToXMntI

texasnick
03-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Accusing beyond members of slander has happened before, and has never gone well for the accusers.

Just so this (in my opinion) douche knows.

Anyone from The Right Place Auto reading this, should also have a look through the Sean Banerjee thread to get a taste of what's to come.

kaput
03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

whydee
03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with the general assessment here... The op is being way too nice about the whole thing.

In my opinion The Right Price Auto sounds extremely shady... This type of practice is unfortunate and it's made worse by The Right Price Auto's unhelpful, threatening posture towards their client.

SilverGS
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Makes sense. People who know they are wrong but don't want to deal with it will yell loudly and threaten in hopes of scaring the other party off.

OP, hopefully you stick this through and stick it to them. So sick of these places trying to take advantage.

Shlade
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
ahh gawd...

Poor Rage.. I wonder if he gets any phone calls from threads about people wanting to file a law suit..?

Kloubek
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure he gets threatened regularly. But thanks to our glorious nation's free speech rules, there is really nothing anyone can do about comments from the users. And as long as the OP simply states the truth, there is no way even he can be hit with a slander lawsuit.

The bottom line here is that the only options "The Right Price Auto" truly has are:
1) Honour the warranty and fix his car
2) Be passive and hope Beyond just fades away (which I doubt will happen. It never has before in situations like this). This would also require the OP to be passive himself and let it all slide. I hope he doesn't.
3) Continue being aggressive, have this thread turn into a 1000-post thread like Sean's, and royally screw up their business.

Right Price Auto: Please keep in mind that it will not be long before this thread is high in internet searches. Anyone researching your company online will be able to see it. Can you imagine, in this technological era, how much business you stand to lose?

There are plenty of dealers in Calgary. Personally, I wouldn't even entertain shopping at one which I know has screwed over even a single customer.

If they are legit, I have no idea why they would not come on here and state their case since we know they've seen it. The only thing I can think of myself: They know that a car forum such as ours would destroy the thin case they think they have for not fixing their customer's car.

Just to be certain for anyone who will find this on the internet - we are not talking about the Right Price Auto in the USA. This is referrring to the Calgary company, which can be found at therightpriceauto.com

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Even if they didn't come here and state their case - but simply stepped up and made the OP happy, then our work would be done :thumbsup:

sizerp
03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I sent The Right Price Auto an email a few moments ago letting them know that as long as I am on the hook for major repairs to the braking system of a car they'd safetied only a number of weeks prior, and had to pay out half cost on a repair that should have been covered by my provided warranty, I don't see why it doesn't make sense to tell my story.

I also invited them to correct me on any details I've gotten wrong in telling my story.

RickDaTuner
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Are you aware that you can pay for the repairs to the car, then file a suit against them for failure to provide warranty.

I am against law suits for the most part, but in this case I would persue the matter for your benfit.

sizerp
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
The warranty was for engine/tranny, so I'm not sure the master cylinder / braking system would be covered under that? Them charging me for half the transmission service is more the concern on the warranty side.

The concern with the braking system is more that they safetied the car just prior to the whole system shitting the bed. I have the car being repaired elsewhere right now.

supe
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
ahh gawd...

Poor Rage.. I wonder if he gets any phone calls from threads about people wanting to file a law suit..?

Did you just put poor and rage in the same sentence?

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
^^ :rofl:

syeve
03-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I will be sure to never send anyone to The Right Price Auto.

It's too bad the owner doesn't the basic laws in Canada. Free speech being the first he/she should look up; second being uttering threats.

Don't worry, the "people" that own these fly-by-night operations are usually scraping by in life. They have no real hope at doing anything productive or lucrative, beyond making a few hundred bucks ripping people off.

Abeo
03-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Right Price Auto: Please keep in mind that it will not be long before this thread is high in internet searches. Anyone researching your company online will be able to see it. Can you imagine, in this technological era, how much business you stand to lose?

Its just a matter of time before someone googles Right Price Auto (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295799&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1) and gets directed here.

supe
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Kloubek
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by supe

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

See... now that is BORDERING on slander. A scam would imply to most that they knew full well about the issues on the car, and that they covered them up and sold the car anyway.

This might be true. But it might not. I think we should stick to the facts.

The only fact we are aware of is that the OP recently bought what appears to be a piece of junk from them, and they are refusing to back up their product in any way - even though it was supposed to have a drivetrain warranty.

From the information we have so far (since it appears they do not wish to tell their side of the story) that is disgraceful and totally unethical - but does not necessarily constitute a scam or fraud.

alloroc
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
On one of the links that zero102 posted from right price auto (of calgary), there was a car that had a $1800 tag hanging from the mirror but the kijiji price was 1500, better jump on that online price deduct quick before the car is gone.
Then again ... maybe not.

alloroc
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I also noticed that on the right price auto of Calgary website that as of the writing of this post, there are no testimonials. Perhaps someone here has something positive to say about right price auto of Calgary Alberta.

Wrinkly
03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
^^ it was "under construction" yesterday

rizfarmer
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
The Right Price Auto at therightpriceauto.com sound like a bunch of crooked greasy used car salesmen; calling your wife and bringing her to tears by threatening her is a looooser move. Hope this works out for you OP. My suggestion is to take a more firm stance with these people, expecially given the owner acted like a clown over the phone with your wife. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL

alloroc
03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
^^ it was "under construction" yesterday
you mean the right price auto calgary website?
that's rightpriceauto.com right?

2Valve0
03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
:rofl: this is going to turn out great.
File a suit for the work done on the tranny asap.
1) he did it without your consent
2) it was covered under warranty to begin with.

IMO these people are duuurttttyyy used car salesman

FraserB
03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't see why these "car salesmen" and "mechanics" don't see fit to defend themselves. Must be pretty ballin already to only need to charge $65/hour and zero parts markup lol.

$lick_rYz
03-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

you mean the right price auto calgary website?
that's rightpriceauto.com right?

Yep that's what he meant, The Right Price Auto Calgary's website is www.rightpriceauto.com

Cody D
03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm all for going after a company that screwed someone over, I just want to add that from the sounds of it the only problem is that they made you pay for half the transmission repair even though you had a warranty.

The part about the brakes I personally (back yard mechanic) don't think that you can pin on this company. If you were driving the vehicle regularly for a month you should have noticed a problem earlier.

http://www.herguth.com/capabilities/brakeswell.htm

sizerp
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Cody D
I'm all for going after a company that screwed someone over, I just want to add that from the sounds of it the only problem is that they made you pay for half the transmission repair even though you had a warranty.

The part about the brakes I personally (back yard mechanic) don't think that you can pin on this company. If you were driving the vehicle regularly for a month you should have noticed a problem earlier.

http://www.herguth.com/capabilities/brakeswell.htm

I saw that page when I was initially doing research, but the only question is how long does it take to take effect when the % of oil is far below 5%?

Do they OWE me the money I'm going to pay to have the brakes fixed? No. Have they been generally difficult to deal with, condescending, and unwilling to work things out in a way that is fair to both parties? Absolutely.

I bought a lemon, got shafted over my warranty, and the brakes have utterly failed in a way that POSSIBLY could have been detected during the safety (or caused when they did work on the brakes pre-sale).

Are there ways the brake fluid could have been contaminated while in my possession if I've never removed the cap off the reservoir? I personally don't know.

Cody D
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm not defending them as a company, I've never dealt with them. I'm just trying to point out something to the forum. If you want to remain the good guy in this situation I think you should try to go after them for things that you can prove are their fault.

As for the level of contamination, the question would be what percentage is needed to create the level of damage that you have experienced. With the constant pumping of the brakes over a month you would think that product that was introduced to the brake fluid system before your ownership would have blended in and caused the damage sooner.

It's a tough spot to be in, good luck with the repairs.

I saw that page when I was initially doing research, but the only question is how long does it take to take effect when the % of oil is far below 5%?

Do they OWE me the money I'm going to pay to have the brakes fixed? No. Have they been generally difficult to deal with, condescending, and unwilling to work things out in a way that is fair to both parties? Absolutely.

I bought a lemon, got shafted over my warranty, and the brakes have utterly failed in a way that POSSIBLY could have been detected during the safety (or caused when they did work on the brakes pre-sale).

Are there ways the brake fluid could have been contaminated while in my possession if I've never removed the cap off the reservoir? I personally don't know.

rizfarmer
03-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Have you asked them to buy the car back from you yet? you'll get a true picture of their integrity based on their offer now that you've had a few repairs done to the car.

SpeedIllusion
03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
*DING* popcorn is ready!

GTI CANADIAN
03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
bump for updates!

sizerp
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
No updates, no responses to my -mostly- pleasant email.

Now, just to double-check - those of you who were able to get email responses, were you sending to [email protected]? The addresses on their other page are misspelled and I got bounce-backs from them.

Thanks

RMS
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I :facepalm: @ how the Right Price Auto is going to file a lawsuit when they can just fix the god damn car and not lose so much rep but instead they're going to be known as scumbags. There are also Lawyer/Legal fees as well, no?

EDIT: I went to their website and clicked "live Help"
and here's the convo

Diane Says:
Hi, Thanks for visiting our site. How can I help you?

Guest Says:
hi

Guest Says:
i was browsing your car selection
Guest Says:
and i was wondering
Guest Says:
wait actually go here http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295799&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kloubek
03-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I saw that. But perhaps they are referring to the one in Indiana? I don't think there was a mention of which one. They do mention some sort of governing entity, which I didn't bother to research...

sizerp
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I believe that is actually about a place in Ireland.

Sugarphreak
03-12-2010, 01:29 PM

nonlinear
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
wow, they've changed their website already, and have done away with the live help feature. dammit.

sizerp
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Wow, I will be steering clear of Right Price Auto!!!

OP, I hope you get this resolved quickly. It might be worth filing a complaint with BBB to see if you can get them involved as a mediator.

My credit card passed me the name for a department called "Consumer Protection" recently, I never did call to find out more information as I was able to resolve my problem; but maybe if you have time give them a call and see if they can help you: 780-427-2711

**Edit: I think it is some sort of Alberta Government agency

Unfortunately I paid 'cash' for the car, so I don't have a monstrous credit card company to back me up. Maybe I SHOULD have paid credit, hah.

sizerp
03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
wow, they've changed their website already, and have done away with the live help feature. dammit.

They actually own therightpriceauto.com and rightpriceauto.com - one of them has the live chat, the other does not.

nonlinear
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
^^so what is the current status? are you in negotiations with them still, or did they flat out tell you they wouldn't help you? does alberta have lemon laws?

if they are unwilling to help you with this, i'm sure beyond can help. it's too bad this thread isn't in the general section, where it would get more attention.

Sugarphreak
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM

bituerbo
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Sarah Says:

Sarah Says:
Hi, Thanks for visiting our site. How can I help you?
Guest Says:
Hi I have a question about the warranty offered on your used cars
Sarah Says:
What I can do is have someone contact you with this information. May I please have your name, phone number and email address?
Guest Says:
Uhhm, is there any way you can get this information and then talk to me about it in this chat window?
Sarah Says:
Sorry, I work offsite and access to limited information. I can have it emailed to you.
Guest Says:
Are you employed by Right Price Auto?
Sarah Says:
I am a third party receptionist.
Guest Says:
an off-site third party receptionist?
Guest Says:
you work for sitedudes.com?
Sarah Says:
Yes, I work for sitedues.com
Guest Says:
So does Right Price Auto pay a monthly fee to sitedudes, or do they get charged on a per-conversation basis?
Guest Says:
(I actually have a site where a chat feature like this could be useful, reason for my asking)
Sarah Says:
It is a monthly fee.
Guest Says:
With an unlimited amount of conversations?
Sarah Says:
That is correct. The live help is available from9 am to 8 pm eastern.
Guest Says:
Cool.
Guest Says:
You on myspace?
Sarah Says:
Personally no.
Guest Says:
Facebook?
Sarah Says:
No sorry.
Guest Says:
Oh.
Guest Says:
Are you located in the US?
Sarah Says:
I'm located in Toronto Ontario.
Guest Says:
Oh nice.
Guest Says:
I'm in Calgary, AB
Guest Says:
I've got some family in Ontario.
Guest Says:
Is Sarah your real name?
Sarah Says:
That's good. Its nice in Ontario.
Sarah Says:
Yes, my name is Sarah
Sarah Says:
If you like I can have an email sent with the information you are requesting.

Then she left the conversation. I hope she sends me the information I was requesting. Too bad they aren't charged per-conversation.

FraserB
03-12-2010, 04:19 PM
No updates, no responses to my -mostly- pleasant email.

Now, just to double-check - those of you who were able to get email responses, were you sending to [email protected]? The addresses on their other page are misspelled and I got bounce-backs from them.

Thanks
The return email addy I have is"[email protected]"

omfgcurtis
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Should get interesting soon
http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=3288613

nonlinear
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
^^i don't get it. who is that email to, and what is it in regards to?

omfgcurtis
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
it was to me, i emailed asking about their warranty info..:dunno: