Zephyr
12-02-2003, 12:51 AM
the 03 grill looks fubar...

szw
12-02-2003, 12:52 AM
no the 04 grill is the fubared one! 03 is just less problems than 02

hampstor
12-02-2003, 12:54 AM
best bang for the buck for a new car under $22000. If you get the options packages, then you might as well get an SRT-4 :)

don't bother w/ the 02, get an 03. The 02's had the ugly lava interior, and a shorter 3rd gear. The 04's suffer from the ugly nissan beaver tooth in the grille.

bigboom
12-02-2003, 09:50 AM
i had an 02 and had zero problems with it, the tranny was strong and none of the problems some '02 owners complained about. i loved the car but traded it in to go RWD.

it wasnt a short 3rd gear in the 02's it was a shorter 1st gear which meant you had to get out of first in a real hurry, everything else was kept pretty even. and i liked the lava interior, didnt like the silver grey.

rc2002
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Where are you located? Where is Kensington Md?
Not to be confused with the Kensington are in Calgary?

C4S
12-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Where are you located? Where is Kensington Md?
Not to be confused with the Kensington are in Calgary?

Good question !

Weapon_R
12-02-2003, 01:13 PM
ugly.

ninspeed
12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
I think the 04 is the better looking of the spec-v's.... plus comes stock with brembos on the front :D..

Mike09
12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
I love the spec-v's but I'm bias working for them and all!

hinggu
12-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
I think the 04 is the better looking of the spec-v's.... plus comes stock with brembos on the front :D..

Well, this option costs over $3000 as i recall

hinggu
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
From what I heard, the 03 gearing is better ( taller first and second, shorter third). the 04 also have had some dampening adjustments as well.

I love my '02. Don't have any problems really. And I like the lava cloth. Only thing that pissed me off was the exhaust manifold recall. But I took car of that with a hotshot header!!

bigboom
12-02-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by hinggu
From what I heard, the 03 gearing is better ( taller first and second, shorter third). the 04 also have had some dampening adjustments as well.

I love my '02. Don't have any problems really. And I like the lava cloth. Only thing that pissed me off was the exhaust manifold recall. But I took car of that with a hotshot header!!

i took care of that with the factory recall :)

i thought third was unchanged though? but im with you, i liked the lava cloth a lot better than the silver grey.

rogue
12-02-2003, 11:58 PM
i have an 03 and have no problems. Lowered on gc and still rides good and an aem cai and gives it a good kick in the ass. I am extremely happy with the performance but i just hate the looks i am stuck with the thing for at least 2 more years now:nut: .(why the hell did i lease) oh well the car is quick and fun i guess it could be worse. There is a turbo kit for it puts down like 280 whp if ya wanna get rid of that pesky warranty:D but i am cheap i am not gonna keep it long so no more mods. (maybe nismo header.) thats all.

hampstor
12-03-2003, 12:50 AM
i dunno about you guys, I like the way my 03 looks (for a 4 door sedan). It's yellow and extremely bright, like ricecake's.

The wheel hops is really bad, but I have corey's motormounts to take care of that :D

switch
12-03-2003, 12:03 PM
I was looking at them last year before I bought my WRX.

My opinions:

1) Rear end is FUGLY.
2) Stated HP from Nissan is exaggerated.
3) You will need an extra set of wheels/tires for winter.
4) Interior seems cheap. (cheap plastic galore)

Other than that it is a GREAT deal for the money.

bigboom
12-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by switch

My opinions:

1) Rear end is FUGLY.

1. agreed

2. people only think its exaggerated, if you think about it there will be some drivetrain loss even if it is a manual and the lsd and whatnot takes up some power so when you break ti all down at the wheel i dont think its that bad.

3. either way it is still a sentra that goes for 24k, what do you expect?

switch
12-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

1. agreed

2. people only think its exaggerated, if you think about it there will be some drivetrain loss even if it is a manual and the lsd and whatnot takes up some power so when you break ti all down at the wheel i dont think its that bad.

3. either way it is still a sentra that goes for 24k, what do you expect?

2. Before the car was released, Nissan claimed the Spec-V to be 180hp, and the SE-R to be 170hp. I read in car n' driver magazine that they performed dyno tests (tests that determine the true horsepower at the wheel), and it showed that the Spec-V came about 30-40hp short of what was claimed. Thus, I am assuming that Nissan has lowered their claim of 180hp to 175hp for this reason, which still does not justify the lack of true horsepower. Another reason could be that Nissan had to follow the emission laws, so lowering the horsepower would produce less pollutant air.

3. I agree for 24K it is a great deal.

bigboom
12-03-2003, 01:26 PM

2. Before the car was released, Nissan claimed the Spec-V to be 180hp, and the SE-R to be 170hp. I read in car n' driver magazine that they performed dyno tests (tests that determine the true horsepower at the wheel), and it showed that the Spec-V came about 30-40hp short of what was claimed. Thus, I am assuming that Nissan has lowered their claim of 180hp to 175hp for this reason, which still does not justify the lack of true horsepower. Another reason could be that Nissan had to follow the emission laws, so lowering the horsepower would produce less pollutant air.

3. I agree for 24K it is a great deal.

read what i posted,
everyone bashes on it because of a lower HP rating, but most of the cars lose power due to the LSD that is in the Specv and typical drivetrain loss as well...

switch
12-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

read what i posted,
everyone bashes on it because of a lower HP rating, but most of the cars lose power due to the LSD that is in the Specv and typical drivetrain loss as well...

I did :D I apologize, your sentence was a little cryptic.

Regardless of LSD, Nissan's claims are still exaggerated.

bigboom
12-03-2003, 02:51 PM
they may be who knows...until someone can prove how much is drivetrain loss and whatever you cant tell :)

this brings back the old discussion should manufacturers claim HP through the wheel, but thats a whole other bag of problems haha i wish it was eaiser!

hampstor
12-04-2003, 12:27 AM

I did :D I apologize, your sentence was a little cryptic.

Regardless of LSD, Nissan's claims are still exaggerated.

It was all the hype about the car that killed it. It was supposed to be the Type R killer... instead it's just a 4 door GS-R :)

Yes, the car is fast around a track. It has a nice wide powerband and the HLSD helps it come out of turns even quicker. In a straight line it was not the greatest thing on the planet (reminds me of the RX8 story).

switch
12-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

It was all the hype about the car that killed it. It was supposed to be the Type R killer... instead it's just a 4 door GS-R :)

Yes, the car is fast around a track. It has a nice wide powerband and the HLSD helps it come out of turns even quicker. In a straight line it was not the greatest thing on the planet (reminds me of the RX8 story).

I completely agree, if it wasn't for my WRX-perversion I would have bought one :D

hinggu
12-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I agree. The car wan't meant to be fast on a straight line anyways. With the short gearing and LSD, it is meant more of a track car.

CLiVE
12-04-2003, 05:19 PM

My opinions:

1) Rear end is FUGLY.

5) Worst torque steer ever!!!!

Other than that it drove nice, they now offer a Brembo package, and it is fairly good value for the money.

I also didn't like the fact you will have to buy an extra set of wheels/tires for winter....

switch
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

5) Worst torque steer ever!!!!

Other than that it drove nice, they now offer a Brembo package, and it is fairly good value for the money.

I also didn't like the fact you will have to buy an extra set of wheels/tires for winter....

really? I only test drove it a couple times.

In the end I am glad I decided on the soob, BRING ON THE SNOW :D

szw
12-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

i don't really see a problem...most people on here (maybe not most but a large portion) will be buying rims/summer rubber anyways (if it came with all-seasons like a regular car)

Then you'd be stuck with allseasons for the winter instead of winter tires, then another large portion of those people would go out again and buy winter tires!

switch
12-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by szw

i don't really see a problem...most people on here (maybe not most but a large portion) will be buying rims/summer rubber anyways (if it came with all-seasons like a regular car)

Then you'd be stuck with allseasons for the winter instead of winter tires, then another large portion of those people would go out again and buy winter tires!

I agree, but it really effects the sales of Spec-Vs in provinces with weather like AB -- the consumer knows that within months they will have to throw down more $$$$.

If I was still in BC I would have cared less.

hampstor
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
The torque steer is bad if at every light, you drop it from 3000rpm. To fix that, get motor mount inserts. a 65 dollar mod will fix that problem very quickly.

I almost died of laughing when a friend told me he was going to get motormount inserts (because thats what I got for mine) in his 2000 civic si coupe because he had a lot of torque steer :)

i told him he had to have torque to have torque steer lol