PDA

View Full Version : Closing old threads

FiveFreshFish
12-02-2003, 12:52 AM
How about automatically closing off a thread if nobody has posted to it for, say 2 weeks? Lately, there have been some newbies bringing back dead threads from months ago.

The expired threads would not look like a thread locked by a moderator with a line through its subject. You just won't be able to post to an expired thread.

Here's what it looks like on RoadFly, but they use different forum software. You get the idea...

JAYMEZ
12-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Good idea:thumbsup:

hjr
12-02-2003, 04:54 PM
not bad, 2 weeks of inactivity is good sign of something that is done.

davidI
12-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Then again sometimes you'll look up a topic and have an additional question so instead of making a brand new topic where pretty much everything will be repeated from teh original you could just post your new Q...

I know it's a pain when newbies bump posts for post count but sometimes I've done a search and just wanted to ask one more thing relating to the subject.

Wildcat
12-02-2003, 07:16 PM
not being able to post after 2 weeks = good
not being able to view after 2 weeks= bad

:thumbsup:

SinisterProbeGt
12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
what if your on vacation?
on an island with no computers and your blackberry is out of range.
I say 1 month

Team_Mclaren
12-02-2003, 07:51 PM
a month or 2 sounds just right

kenny
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Interesting suggestion I would have to do a bit more research on possible solutions because of the way vbulletin does handle closed threads. Sounds like something we could use here unless there are some valid objections or if its just not possible. More feedback would be appreciated.

jdmakkord
12-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Jeez, I've seen 6 month old threads come back up.....how about 3 months as the cut off?

fast_cars
12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
not being able to post after 2 weeks = good
not being able to view after 2 weeks= bad

:thumbsup:

TRUE!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eur0
12-03-2003, 01:55 PM
can some admin tell shakil to stop bringing up like 6+ month old threads, half the current marketplace are old threads :thumbsdow

rc2002
12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Two weeks might be too small a time frame. I'm sure there are a lot of members that don't even frequent these boards that often. IMO 3 months should be tops before the threads are closed.

If threads are closed, they can still be brought back up in a search function right?

88CRX
12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by tbk49
can some admin tell shakil to stop bringing up like 6+ month old threads, half the current marketplace are old threads :thumbsdow

:werd:

4wheeldrift
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Interesting suggestion I would have to do a bit more research on possible solutions because of the way vbulletin does handle closed threads. Sounds like something we could use here unless there are some valid objections or if its just not possible. More feedback would be appreciated. Maybe it would be better to set up an archive, and archive old threads once a month or something?

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2003, 12:22 AM
The two-week time frame is just a suggestion and can be anything the admins feel appropriate or voted upon by the members.

It's the concept of expiring threads that I'd like to get members to comment on.

Thanks to all who've voiced their opinion.

szw
12-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Do you concur?

I concur.:clap:

1badPT
08-31-2004, 01:09 AM
I think if old threads are closed you'll end up with a lot of reposts, you'll be trading one problem for another IMO. Unless closed threads are eventually dropped from the database, then it would offer the advantage of limiting the size of the database, if that's a concern. :dunno:

Besides no matter what you'll always need to admin/mod the boards so its easy to spot a nub bumping an assload of old threads - one quick hit on the ban button fixes that problem.

gpomp
08-31-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I think if old threads are closed you'll end up with a lot of reposts, you'll be trading one problem for another IMO. Unless closed threads are eventually dropped from the database, then it would offer the advantage of limiting the size of the database, if that's a concern. :dunno:

Besides no matter what you'll always need to admin/mod the boards so its easy to spot a nub bumping an assload of old threads - one quick hit on the ban button fixes that problem.
WTF, stop bringing threads back from the dead.

ZorroAMG
08-31-2004, 08:27 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 1BadPt: The new thread bumper

1badPT
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
rofl - this thread was linked to in the xxxmaximalxxx thread in general lol i meant to put my reply there :rofl: :nut:

Seanith
08-31-2004, 11:55 AM
LMFAO.. one quick hit on the ban button fixes that problem indeed! :D :rofl:

WTF, stop bringing threads back from the dead.

Comedy Gold :rofl: :rofl:

Gonthro
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
hahaha, but it is a good idea... if you could find an addon

1badPT
08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
lol ok no more late night posts for me :whipped: :whipped: :rofl:

rage2
08-31-2004, 01:10 PM
I swear we've had this discussion before... and we came up with something like this:

1. Thread is made.
2. 6 months later, someone posts about the same topic.
3. 100 people post :repost: smiley.
4. Another 100 people tell them to use the SEARCH button.
5. The guy in #2 listens to the guys in #4, and uses the search button, and finds the thread from #1, and posts there.
6. 100 other guys jump on thread from #1 and tells the guy to stop bumping up old threads

:rofl:

Now, let's look at it this way. If we close old threads, #3 and #4 will still happen, which would frustrate the hell out of the guy in #5.

I don't see what's so bad about bumping old threads anyways (except for FS threads). I contemplated on writing a hack to close off all marketplace threads, until one of the items I had for sale for 8 months got searched for and sold. I now have a reason not to close FS threads too.

Seriously, does it hurt that much to read up on an old thread? Like, how is that painful? Are we that picky? Or do we all just like to bitch and rant on anything we can find? :D

So the decision was made to put in the :repost: smiley ;). I thought that was the end of the discussion hehe.

rage2
08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Hrm, just got another idea. Maybe I'll hide the date/time of the thread... that would fix things I think :rofl:.

4wheeldrift
08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
lol then it'll just degenerate into "Well, we really aren't sure how old this thread is but you're probably a fucktart for posting in it anyways" :rofl:

Seanith
08-31-2004, 06:18 PM
rage, you should just disable the repost smiley lol

Ben
08-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Seriously, does it hurt that much to read up on an old thread? Like, how is that painful? Are we that picky? Or do we all just like to bitch and rant on anything we can find? :D

Its the fact that some people with nothing better to do will just purposly bump old threads (like that retard last night), threads are 2 years old and he resurects it with "Vids dont work" or a simple smilie.

Thats what pisses most people off.

Granted some people have nothing better to do and FOLLOW the troll around posting after it thus making this ancient thread come alive with a half dosen or so people saying ":repost: :closed: ", or insulting the person, this only makes things worse. Now the troll see's he's pissing people off and only continues.

If it was a usefull contribution to a thread still relevent, I have no problem with the date of the thread (tho some people do), however for the most part it's the idiots that bring up an old thread just to say "So how was it" or "Neat" or " :werd: "

I think for threads older than 6 months, a popup box that says "The thread you are posting in is older than 6 months. Is your contribution realevent to the topic?" would be useful. That way if their post is dumb, we know they ignored the rules and we can give them the boot.

962 kid
08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
how about closing threads in certain forums only... like the video/pics forum and marketplace