PDA

View Full Version : The Sulphur Mountain Challenge!

A790
03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Spring is coming! Along with it... decent hiking weather!

On Saturday, May 8 I am going to be hiking up Sulphur Mountain. The goal is going to be on the elapsed time it takes to get up the mountain! This isn't your typical hike... it's a damn near hike/jog! Last year I managed to hike the mountain in right around an hour. My goal of end of September this year is 45 minutes!

This year I will be setting up three hike days: Saturday May 8, Saturday July 17, and Saturday September 25.

About the Sulphur Mountain Trail:

Elevation: 655 metres
Average completion time: 2hrs.

The Challenge:

I am challenging anyone and everyone willing to come hike the mountain with me on each date. On the final hike I will be giving away 3 prizes to those who qualify.

Who qualifies/how to win? The answer is simple: the top 3 people with the best improvement in their time takes home the crown!

If you hiked in 2 hours on your first shot, and then hiked it in 1 hour in September, there's a good chance you'll win!

So, who's in?

PS - Open to suggestions for prizes. Was thinking a $125 first place value, $50 second place, and $25 third place.

Rarasaurus
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
What if i do not finish on the first day? Then finish on the second would that make me the best?

A790
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
What if i do not finish on the first day? Then finish on the second would that make me the best?
Must finish all 3 days to qualify.

Masked Bandit
03-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Ahhh Sulphur Mountain. I've only done it once and it was an hour & ten minutes which I thought was pretty decent considering my buddy and I had no idea how far it was. All we knew was that we were too cheap to pay for the Gondola so we sent the women up on that and we said "we'll just hike the trail". Dumb.

benyl
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
You are going to get dog fuckers on the first day taking 5 hours just so they can win a prize. Have lunch half way up, etc...

I would re-look at how you are going to award prizes.

beyond_ban
03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by benyl
You are going to get dog fuckers on the first day taking 5 hours just so they can win a prize. Have lunch half way up, etc...

The_Rural_Juror
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
It took about an hour for me about 10 years ago, and I have only gained 90 lbs since then. Would love to join at another date.

Masked Bandit
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

That's a good point. How do you get around that though? If you make it simply a best time then the guys that are out of shape aren't even going to try.

How about a rule...anyone caught sandbagging get's thrown off the mountain & fed to the bears!

adidas
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Might wanna erase this thread and start a new one where you dont disclose how you potentially can win.

I say you make the challenge a bit different.

Take everyones time and calculate it for all 3 runs per individual. Who ever has the fastest time, they obviously win. This way you wont have any cheaters and you will know people will be trying their hardest.

MintRacer
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
took my out of shape ass 3 hrs a few months back. in my defense the trail was icy and extremely slippery.

bulaian
03-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer
took my out of shape ass 3 hrs a few months back. in my defense the trail was icy and extremely slippery.

whoa i can't believe you even tried this in winter. I went up after may long weekend one year and there was still snow and ice up there

MintRacer
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I didn't think it would be a big deal, since there was a bunch of other people going up and down. I even got lapped by a granny with a hiking stick, passed me on the way up and passed me on the way down before I even got to the top.

Runners and icy trail = fail.

Originally posted by bulaian

whoa i can't believe you even tried this in winter. I went up after may long weekend one year and there was still snow and ice up there

hrdkore
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
that hike is easy lol

A790
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Okay. Instead of awarding prizes, I'm going to do an end of year meet after at the final day where lunch/resfreshments will be provided. More than anything, it's just meant to get people up and doing something :)

Suggestions are welcome :D

bituerbo
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Sulphur Mountain trail gets really busy during the summer months. Can't we do something a little more adventurous?

atgilchrist
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I think I'm going this weekend, I'll post a conditions update if I go.

beyond_ban
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Is this considered a scramble or a hike?

bulaian
03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't find sulphur mountain to get too bad during the summer, since it's a little bit of a longer hike than what families would do. Johnston Canyon you definately want to avoid on weekends.

bituerbo
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Hike.

Masked Bandit
03-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Depends if you stay on the trail or not.

Lagerstatten.ca
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
8 years ago a bunch of friends and I went to Sulphur mountain to do the hike. Didn't know where the trail started so we just hiked up right underneath the path of the gondola's.

Took us over two hours to climb up that trail - sure was fun though!

sdiep
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
How fit do you think you have to be to hike this?

bigbadboss101
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I found Johnson Canyon challenging enough so this would be significant harder I assume. How is it compared to the tea house at Lake Louise? I did that before on a sprained ankle.

Hey you peeps MTB too? I just pick up my first bike since High School. We can do some of that. Someone start another thread on beginner cycling!

Idratherbsidewayz
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I would highly recommend the mountain right next to Elbow Falls parking lot. It's called Prairie Mountain. 3.6km, 712m elevation gain, and it's close to Calgary. Unbelievable view from the top. I did it yesterday (had to use crampons for the way down) for the 2nd time this year and it took me and a friend 1h15 to get to the top.

It's right next to Moose Mountain. You can see the beginning of the Rockies on one side, and the Calgary valley on the other.

wintonyk
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I love this idea. Whats the distance of sulfur mountain trail?

If someone sandbags and has a time like 3 hours and then comes back with an hour. It will be pretty obvious. I think any improvement is the point.

I would be totally down for May 8, but I am gonna be in MTL watchin shogun and the dragon pound skulls.

So for those that are looking for an alternative day around then, I am down. Preferably a Sunday.

Abeo
03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I was thinking of doing the same on Ha Ling Peak (http://hikealberta.com/hike/ha-ling-peak), no banff pass needed, and it gets steep quick. Short hike for those in shape, when I was there last summer there were olympic athletes running up it. Pretty awesome views.

I was extremely anemic when I tried it (learned that after the fact), I'd like to try it again once my health improves

Idratherbsidewayz
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
I was thinking of doing the same on Ha Ling Peak (http://hikealberta.com/hike/ha-ling-peak), no banff pass needed, and it gets steep quick. Short hike for those in shape, when I was there last summer there were olympic athletes running up it. Pretty awesome views.

I was extremely anemic when I tried it (learned that after the fact), I'd like to try it again once my health improves

I wouldn't mind tackling Chinaman's peak! If anyone goes on any hikes and needs company, let me know. I'm really getting into it.

Atriux
03-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Just curious, years ago our family used to go hiking and out all the time. One particular time sticks out to me, and that's the time my mother and I hiked up a side trail on this mountain (I'm pretty sure it was a side trail) basically a more rigerous hike with a long cable running up the side. I can't remember at all the time it took, but it was definitely fun. Anyone know of this path i'm thiiking of? If i remember correctly, we met like 1 or 2 other people who we met along that path, and was definitely for those looking for a steeper challange then anything else.

bituerbo
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Distance: 5.5 km
Difficulty: Strenuous
Elev. gain: 742 meters
Time required: 2 - 5 hours
Bikes permitted: No
Dogs permitted: Yes

where/what time are we meeting?

Idratherbsidewayz
04-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Distance: 5.5 km
Difficulty: Strenuous
Elev. gain: 742 meters
Time required: 2 - 5 hours
Bikes permitted: No
Dogs permitted: Yes

where/what time are we meeting?

Which mountain?

bituerbo
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Those are the stats for Sulphur Mountain according to summitpost.org

Idratherbsidewayz
04-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Those are the stats for Sulphur Mountain according to summitpost.org

Oh right, of course.

Most weekends work for me.

wintonyk
05-31-2010, 03:09 PM
I just did sulfur today. Took me an 1:45 round trip.

1:15 up (was with some slower people)
30 down. We basically ran the entire distance.

It was very snowy for the last 200 m vert. But it was wet so comforting.